Timing belt

Arman

TDI
2005 Jetta Auto
I was working on my car today (2003 TDI wagon 245,000km auto) and noticed this little tear on the timing belt (the belt is a continental with 65,000 km on it. installed in 2015).

Now given that the belts are rated for 160,000 km, and that usually timing belts are not the cause of timing belt failures, should I be worried?

Thanks,

TDI
03 Golf TDI GLS
That is what happens when people who think they know what they are doing vs People who actually know what they are doing.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Arman

TDI
2005 Jetta Auto
Unfortunately the belt was done by the previous owner so I dont know whos done the work :S
And I believe the inner cover was broken on purpose to create an access hole... dont see how you can accidentally break that

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
If that was intentional, the guy truly has no business working on cars. That blemish (fairly minor in my estimation) on the belt could well have been caused by debris getting through that gash. My guess is that some past owner had a tool kit consisting of only a hammer.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
Not worth risking

The damage that a broken belt can cause is not worth risking a debate on what to do. Replace it ASAP. Just tore one down that was running right after the previous owner picked it up from the shop after repair of a broke belt and wrecked it, it had two obviously bent connecting rods. Do it for your peace of mind if nothing else.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
And, a critter could have crawled down in the hole and done some chewing..... thus, there may be more spots with evidence of nibbling !

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Tech tip: If the belt dos not go on, STOP! DO NOT grab large screwdrivers and pry it on. Take a break and figure out what you are doing wrong. Your welcome in advance......................

Last edited: