Buyback Lessons Learned

eurocab

TDI
2004 Passat, 2010 Audi Q7
Tks for the reminder

I did'nt get the top up payment either. I will contact my guy at the dealership on Monday to let him know I finally got the original amount and still waiting on the mileage payment. He may be able to pull some strings. The number that I posted earlier is for VW, so that might be the best way to approach it. I have another number that called me (844/982-5246) as well.

The agent also mentioned something about a $1500 Bosch payment, but I am not sure that is for 3.0TDI's. I need to look into it.

Update: I looked into it and he was right. Supposed to be automatic, so I have that to look forward to as well.

Last edited:

mbrunner

TDI
2011 Touareg
I did'nt get the top up payment either. I will contact my guy at the dealership on Monday to let him know I finally got the original amount and still waiting on the mileage payment. He may be able to pull some strings. The number that I posted earlier is for VW, so that might be the best way to approach it. I have another number that called me (844/982-5246) as well.

The agent also mentioned something about a $1500 Bosch payment, but I am not sure that is for 3.0TDI's. I need to look into it.

Update: I looked into it and he was right. Supposed to be automatic, so I have that to look forward to as well.
Yeah the $1500 Bosch payment is for the 3.0 TDI. There is a Bosch number but the most they can do is tell you if they have issued a check based on your name. So far seems that is a slow process.

I did get them to tell me that no other claims were against the VIN so I should be getting a top-up they just don't know the timeline. When I turned in they mentioned top-up for mileage + i have the other 50% of restitution. Just no timelines.

I have to assume they have to close out on their end but would assume that would have happened quickly.

Thanks again for the info.

Effer

TDI
2009 Jetta
'09 jetta buyback

Had my buyback appt. last Wednesday and was concerned that with a CEL light on (don't know for what) and an airbag light on (side crash sensor) it would complicate things but everything went smooth. They didn't even start the car and only took pictures, and also had the buyback check printed out and in hand. Couldn't have gone any better. $9200 for a car that had 246k miles and drive train issues and the other problems above. Works for me.

Spohntaneous

TDI
2015 TDI SEL Jetta
Hello, I need some expert help as I'm not sure what will happen. Three weeks ago I decided to go the buyback route. I have a 2015 Jetta SEL fully loaded and was in a wreck last week. The front end is crashed and the estimate from the body shop is $12,000. The insurance has been slow to make a call as I think they might total it out. Bluebook is around $18,400 and my VW buyback is $29,130 with about 40,000 miles on it. I have read so much about insurance companies screwing over people and don't want them to total my car. The engine still runs as the front end is crashed. I sent my insurance company the buyback paperwork from VW so they can see what the car is really worth to me. I would really appreciate some feedback about dealing with my insurance company as this paperwork shows the value of my car. Also if for some reason the insurance company says it's a total loss what would VW do if I drove it onto their lot with my hood and fender bent along with other frontal damage.

THANKS!

edandemma

TDI
09 Jetta
Buyback complete, easy

Did the buyback Monday for our 09 Jetta, had 146,000 miles on it. Simple process, payment hit the bank on Thursday the same week. Will miss that car, but it was starting to have issues and I was tired of wrenching on it. We are now shopping for a new Passat, either 1.8T SE/W Technology or possibly a "fixed" 2015. I've read where some people earlier this year were able to find New 2015's discounted, I've only found new 2015's at 30k plus (in Kansas, searching KS, OK, AR, TX). So probably go with a very low mile fixed or go with the 1.8T. Still have my 1-ton dually for my diesel driving fix :D.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> Also if for some reason the insurance company says it's a total loss what would VW do if I drove it onto their lot with my hood and fender bent along with other frontal damage.
THANKS!
You imply in the last sentence that the car is driveable. If it gets totalled, and the money mentioned is all the insurance company is prepared to offer, turn the vehicle in as is. If you can drive it onto the lot, according to the settlement it qualifies. Just be prepared for rejection, as the "interpretation" of what turn-in condition is appears to have changed somewhat, and can evidently vary from one VW rep to another. If they reject it, call the plaintiff counsel and let them take it from there.
Last April, our son turned in his '13 Jetta that had been T-boned, ruining both passenger side doors, but was perfectly driveable. There was no problem whatever, except that the rep made some gratuitous remark about "VW billing for the repairs." He got his full EFT payment a few days later, and not a peep about the damage.

drewholling13

TDI
2012 A3 Titanium edition
Got a question for this thread, has anyone turned in a modified version of their car? I am getting ready to cave and turn my car in but it's got modifications. Thanks for your responses...

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Got a question for this thread, has anyone turned in a modified version of their car? I am getting ready to cave and turn my car in but it's got modifications. Thanks for your responses...
How "modified?"
The previous owner of my '14 Golf dropped it big time with coilovers. It had 18" TSW wheels, that I sold and put 15" steelies back on. Buyback person said nothing.

If it starts and drives, [minus the intentional stripping of parts] they'll take it.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Lots of people have. If it runs, and has not been "stripped", it counts.

We've gone over this a bazillion times. Your car came with a radio. It has to have a radio. It doesn't have to be the original one. Your car came with wheels. It has to have wheels. They don't have to be the original ones. Your car came with fenders. It has to have fenders. They don't have to be in like-new condition (banged up and scraped is OK ... and customized is OK). And so on ...

Modified cars are headed for the crusher anyhow.

mbrunner

TDI
2011 Touareg
Has anyone actually gotten a "top-up" payment they were due? Turned in July and still waiting. Just wondering if anyone did and how long it took.

drewholling13

TDI
2012 A3 Titanium edition
CR170, egr/dpf,cat delete, custom intake and charge pipes, DSG and stage 3 tuned... really don't feel like swapping parts back, thanks for the input.

-Drew

rrrcryst

TDI
1996 Passat TDI wagon,
top-up

Has anyone actually gotten a "top-up" payment they were due? Turned in July and still waiting. Just wondering if anyone did and how long it took.
They bought my 2014 Jetta back Jan 2017 It had very low mileage. We got an additional Bosch payment of $350 this past summer. The buyback covered 95% of my 2017 Honda CRV cost. That was great. I am working on fixing my 1996 B4 6 speed Passat driver side door and window now.

Would like to sell that in the next few months or so.

Last edited:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
They bought my 2014 Jetta back Jan 2017 It had very low mileage. We got an additional Bosch payment of $350 this past summer. The buyback covered 95% of my 2017 Honda CRV cost. That was great. I am working on fixing my 1996 B4 6 speed Passat driver side door and window now.

Would like to sell that in the next few months or so.

I'd second 'great' above.

Realizing it's the US system vs. the world's largest automaker..............

Sure it's wrong to **** with the (somewhat inept) EPA.............

It's just not THAT wrong. Those are monstrous penalties/corrections.

Yes, I made out. Got my 2013 purchase price. Got a little '17 Jetta S/5M for a song. Yes, I bank almost (well, y'all 'get it')

This is a great site. It has been big time helpful this this sailor.

I've had four diesels. All VW. I miss them all. This final wagon set the bar.

ez sends

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
Hit a deer - hood and bumper damage

Anyone hear how a buy back went with damage to a driveable vehicle. I have read several forums and have not actually seen where someone was refused or given a lesser amount for the vehicle.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Plenty have done so, and even the most basic searching of the forum will find examples of it. There is no "... given a lesser amount". It's either all or nothing.

The damage has to be as a result of a collision, not intentional stripping of parts ... that's where the "nothing" in the above statement comes from.

Jacks TDI

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
Fender Stereo & Power Seats - Not Options on 2014 Sportwagen?

Fender Stereo & Power Seats - Not Options on 2014 Sportwagen w/ Nav & Sunroof? Yet these Options pop up in the Buyback Calculator.
But the JSW w/ Nav & Sunroof comes standard with 10 Speaker Stereo and Partial Power Seats. So how are these valued in Buyback? Anybody been through Buyback process with a fully optioned 2014 JSW with Nav & Sunroof?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Only the prescribed options in the buyback calculator are considered. The others have no effect. This has ALL been hashed out long ago.

Bear in mind that certain of these options may have been picked in order to be representative of a vehicle's trim level; the answer to the complaint "... But they're only paying me for the sunroof but not the higher end stereo and leather seats and etc etc etc" is that "... the sunroof that they're paying you for, only came on that trim level together with all of that other stuff anyhow, so in reality the payment is for the trim level, as represented by having that sunroof that was only available on that trim level". (this is only a how-it-works example and is not intended to be specific)

If the buyback calculator allows you to select options that were never actually available ... then no one will (legitimately) be able to truthfully select that option anyhow, so it's meaningless. (well, they CAN select it, but it will be superceded at the time of actual buyback based on the car's VIN and what it was actually built with)

It was never the intent for the buyback amount to be so granular as to reflect every individual conceivable option. Tradeoff for relative simplicity of the process.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Fender Stereo & Power Seats - Not Options on 2014 Sportwagen w/ Nav & Sunroof? Yet these Options pop up in the Buyback Calculator.
But the JSW w/ Nav & Sunroof comes standard with 10 Speaker Stereo and Partial Power Seats. So how are these valued in Buyback? Anybody been through Buyback process with a fully optioned 2014 JSW with Nav & Sunroof?
Just do a claim and put your VIN in.. it will give you exact buyback for your configuration.

Why are you using an old calculator??

weebl

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf (BEW)
My buyback experience

As of last Saturday, I've officially left the TDI fold, though still have another diesel vehicle, and stuck with VW for my TDI's replacement. This was my experience with the buy back, and while I expected the worst hearing the stories that some have experienced, I had nothing but a positive experience.
I had a 2014 Passat TDI, manual transmission. The car was phenomenal, it was fun to drive, had great fuel economy, and gave us no trouble. When the scandal first broke, I could not imagine giving up the car, and until more recently, maintained that stance. So what tipped me?

Little things pushing me towards accepting the buy back were:
- Takata recall taking a very long time. I know it isn't VW's fault, but my family is still riding in this vehicle with potentially defective airbags.
- Heater core issues some have. Yes, the warranty was extended, but it could rear its ugly head on me at some point outside of the warranty.
- Adblue heater is the same story. As is the potential for turbo failure (though my replacement has the EA888, so as with any turbo vehicle, that is a risk that remains).
- Low washer fluid light comes on in cold temperatures, regardless of fluid level. I understand it is caused by Rain-X and other similar formulations of washer fluid.
- Very slow, weird waxy/oily leak seeping from between the bumper and left rear quarter panel. Never had it looked into.

None of those things by themselves, or even combined would have made me want to ditch the car, but they definitely were straws that were added to the scale that tips it in favour of the buy back for me.

Then there were other things that were more uncertain - particularly, just how would the car behave, and would its service life be affected by the fix. And that's the other part - will there ever be a fix for the Gen 2 manuals?

The big one for me was what we were offered - if we did a straight buy back, we would have been shy a few hundred dollars of what we paid for the car new in 2014, or we would have been ahead with the trade in option counting the reduced taxes on the replacement vehicle. Where on this earth can I ever again get such a deal? I drive a car where I am paying (outside of maintenance, fuel and insurance), either next to nothing, or getting paid to drive it for more than 3 1/2 years? I know not everyone's numbers worked out that way, but mine did.
We made the decision in May this year to pursue the buy back. This would be an opportunity to switch the type of vehicle to more closely suit the current needs of the family. Among the contenders were the 2018 Tiguan and the still yet to be announced diesel CX-5. We needed to wait to see at the very least, the Tiguan in person before we could make a decision what to replace the TDI with, and when it became apparent that the CX-5 diesel still would not be here in the forseeable future (if at all), we actively tried out all our contenders at the end of the summer, to settle on the Tiguan. Now we knew we were choosing the trade in, versus the straight buy back.

So here's how it all went down:

Our profile had already been created on the portal, and we made it to the point where we entered the kms, but did not choose an option. Now, we had to have scanned the following documents:
- original bill of sale
- vehicle registration (did the insurance too, but turns out it wasn't needed)
- drivers licences of both of us (both on title)

With those ready to go, I clicked that I was choosing the trade in. I clicked through, confirmed current kms, and uploaded these documents.

Within a couple of days, we were "approved" and got our offer letter and indemnity release, which we needed to download, sign with a witness, and then upload again. Again, we got "approved" within a couple of days.

We were presented with a calendar to choose available buy back dates/times at our selected dealership.

Shortly after, we got the phone call to confirm the km and appointment time. The figures changed, however. Total remained the same, but a small amount shifted from the trade in allowance to our cheque. Amounts to about $14 extra for me in GST, but knowing how this works with others before me, I figured it wasn't worth the quibble for such a small amount.
Meanwhile, we started the ball rolling on the 2018 Tiguan, made our deposit on the vehicle, and were planning to take delivery when the buy back day came. The dealership was anxious to have the sale posted sooner, and our salesman (a good friend of one of our friends who works at a different VW dealership in another province, helped us get a good price on the vehicle), was going to be on vacation when out buy back day rolled around. They were okay with releasing the Tiguan to us, so long as the Passat was parked on their lot and we gave them the keys, and we paid everything except for the trade in allowance. So we got our Tiguan 2 weeks before we were officially TDI free.

The Passat was returned in near stock condition, save for me returning it on 16" Costco cheapie aluminum rims with the horrible Michelin X-Ice Xi3 winter tires, and me keeping the OEM 18" Bristol wheels. The OEM all season tires will be thrown for sale on classifieds. I used those wheels for the winter tires for the Tiguan. (The Bristols look like they belong on the Tiguan too). The add on Monster rubber mats we kept, for now being used in the Tiguan until we decide on which ones to order for it, and then to be sold in the classifieds.
The buy back appointment was painless, except for the sadness of seeing a car we all loved go. The lady, who incidentally works for a company contracted by RicePoint, had my wife start and move the Passat back and forth (it was moved in from storage the day prior by the dealership, but she works for this third party company, so needs to verify this herself). We signed a release for the cheque (and for the trade in allowance to go to the dealership), and then she gave us out cheque. In a matter of minutes, we were done. Chatted a bit with her - she was very pleasant. Looks like she may have done this gig as a transition to retirement from some of what she was saying, and she shared some stories that made us shake our heads.

At the end of the day, as great a car as the Passat was, we needed to take a realistic, non-emotional look at the situation. A car is a depreciating asset. It also eventually goes out of warranty, and things wear and need eventual replacement. A 3.5 year old car is closer to that than a brand new one. We got to drive the Passat for free, and now we get to reset the clock on our vehicle in terms of wear, depreciation and warranty coverage.

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Very helpful indeed. All the forms are downloaded and ready for the appointment.I had my buy back approved a while back but just today made an appointment for the end of October since I'm holding out for 2018 Golf R inventory to arrive. Yeah, yeah, I know...TDI traitor going gas. So, I may have to "leapfrog", maybe not. But here is my question, has anyone taken a check at the dealership and used it on the spot towards a new VW?
I am doing the same.

dyvyd

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI; 2010 Jetta TDI, 6-spd manual
Buyback Reps & dealers

Good info from some of these posts. i wasn't sure about starting a new thread in the main Dieselgate forum & thought i'd start here. Among the things i've read in various posts/threads on the buyback & fix, several have emphasized the variability of dealing with the buyback reps at different dealers. So . . . i'm wondering if anyone here has had or knows anyone who has had experience with dealers in Western Mass? Looking at Northampton VW, Fathers & Sons in West Springfield (not inclined there, they seem to have gone downhill generally from what i hear), the dealer in Enfield, CT (Lia?). i am also considering turn-in at the dealer where i bought the car though it's a pain because it's ~ 85 miles from me--Wellesley VW. Any input would be great, including if you think i should post this to the main Dieselgate forum as a new thread. Thanks & sorry for the long-ish post.

msantram

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 SportWagen TDI DSG (Buyback 2018.01.30)
Lots of great info on this thread. Thanks for the honest feedback.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Good info from some of these posts. i wasn't sure about starting a new thread in the main Dieselgate forum & thought i'd start here. Among the things i've read in various posts/threads on the buyback & fix, several have emphasized the variability of dealing with the buyback reps at different dealers. So . . . i'm wondering if anyone here has had or knows anyone who has had experience with dealers in Western Mass? Looking at Northampton VW, Fathers & Sons in West Springfield (not inclined there, they seem to have gone downhill generally from what i hear), the dealer in Enfield, CT (Lia?). i am also considering turn-in at the dealer where i bought the car though it's a pain because it's ~ 85 miles from me--Wellesley VW. Any input would be great, including if you think i should post this to the main Dieselgate forum as a new thread. Thanks & sorry for the long-ish post.
Buyback rep is hired by VW, not by dealership. You drive in, tell receptionist you are doing buyback, they tell you where to go or call the specialist. They take your documents and car and thats it. You don't interact with dealership employees at all.

Usually same rep will be in all surrounding dealerships. You can check this by looking at what dates are available. If all surrounding dealership's dates do no overlap, its almost certain that it is same rep traveling from location to location. A friend of mine in Nevada told me that his rep travels within 3 hour drive to different dealerships because they don't have a lot of appointments.

dyvyd

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI; 2010 Jetta TDI, 6-spd manual
Thanks, TDIforDays . . . . i knew buyback reps are VW Group employees rather than dealer employees, just operating at dealer locations. i suspect that in more densely populated areas like much of the northeast there may be more reps but that for any dealer close by from the sounds of it, will likely be the same rep. Still waiting for my offer but the 10-day mark isn't til next Wednesday but i will compare available dates for the dealers i'm looking at when i get to the turn-in scheduling.

mbrunner

TDI
2011 Touareg
Thought I would update here. Anyone else in a situation waiting on a "top-up" payment?

I turned my 2011 Treg in on June 13th and am still waiting on the top-up payment that I am owed (the other 50% of the retirbution).

I contact the claim number weekly to see if there are any updates and the story changes depending on whom I have talked to.

This last week one of the managers I talked to said that they are still finalizing the top-up payment process and has no time line on when to expect this. All they could do is verify that I am the only claim on that VIN.

Still not sure why they withheld 50% to begin with as I provided all the proof of 100% buy back. In hindsight I would have kept the car or appealed the offer letter until it was corrected.

Jacks TDI

TDI
2014 Sportwagen
WEEBL You Mention "the trade in option counting the reduced taxes on the replacement vehicle." Anyone know - Is this a Canada option?
I have asked local dealer and they say this in not an option in USA? I have looked at all the VW site info and do not see this anywhere. With our outrageous 10% sales tax in Seattle this would really be a reason to trade up to a VW.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
Thought I would update here. Anyone else in a situation waiting on a "top-up" payment?
I turned my 2011 Treg in on June 13th and am still waiting on the top-up payment that I am owed (the other 50% of the retirbution).
I contact the claim number weekly to see if there are any updates and the story changes depending on whom I have talked to.
This last week one of the managers I talked to said that they are still finalizing the top-up payment process and has no time line on when to expect this. All they could do is verify that I am the only claim on that VIN.
Still not sure why they withheld 50% to begin with as I provided all the proof of 100% buy back. In hindsight I would have kept the car or appealed the offer letter until it was corrected.
I have several vehicles that should or might get "top up" money. I called and they said there is no time frame for it.

mbrunner

TDI
2011 Touareg
I have several vehicles that should or might get "top up" money. I called and they said there is no time frame for it.
Thanks. Yeah I get slight variations on the answer each time but all the same.

I just emailed info@vwcourtcounsel.com and they are looking into the issue with VW's counsel so will post an update with what they come back with.

GoneDiesel

Veteran Member
Plenty have done so, and even the most basic searching of the forum will find examples of it. There is no "... given a lesser amount". It's either all or nothing.

The damage has to be as a result of a collision, not intentional stripping of parts ... that's where the "nothing" in the above statement comes from.
The reason I asked is during my buyback meeting before we could proceed they had to send pictures of the damage off and get approval before we could complete the buy back. Regarding searching, I did even "the most basic" search here and on vwvortex and mentioned I found examples of damaged cars taken in but no posts of being denied. I am curious if anyone has heard of anyone being denied. My car can be driven, its front end is completely smashed up. No fluid leaks. The buy back rep even drove it. I live about 75 miles from the nearest dealer and had to re-schedule for DEC. I am wondering if they are changing their tune on the buyback.