Route suggestion

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
I've been looking at Mapquest for routes to Montreal and could use suggestions from folks that know the routes.

Fastest route (per mapquest) is via Columbus, Cleveland, Buffalo, Syracuse, and crossing the border at what looks to be Kingston, then on to Montreal.

Alternate route is via Toledo, Detroit and cross border, then London, Toronto, Kingston, and on to Montreal.

Routes estimated to be about 1/2 hour difference. 916 miles vs 914 miles.

Any yeas or nays for the two routes.? The Detroit route does keep me mostly off toll roads. Fast border crossings are a plus.

Thanks, Bruce

black_and_chrome

Veteran Member
TDI
Black Jetta 2005
I would recommend taking I-81(n) in NY state to the Thousand Island Bridge, to Hwy 401(e), to A-20(e) in Quebec, to A-540(e), to A-40(e) - exit 52 Blvd. St Jean to the Holiday Inn. There is less traffic on the road and smaller lines at the border. The Buffalo border crossing can often be back-up and you will the have to go through the city of Toronto which always has traffic... Plus the Thousand Island Bridge and area is very nice. I have lived in Montreal all my life and work in the transport industry. Please feel free to ask me for recommended routes, it would be my pleasure to make suggestions.

craig01b

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
The drive into Kingston, and thru Gannonaque(thousand islands) is nice....interesting bridge to cross also. If I could avoid the drive thru Toronto, I certainly would.

Black and Chrome's route is good. The 401 into Montreal is boring, and watch for the SQ(surete Quebec) as you cross into Quebec. The patrols on the 401 are also kinda thick. 120(74 mph) kms is *safe* in Ontario....115(70 mph) or so in Quebec. No guarantee's....but I do the route 6 or 7 times a year, and havne't had a ticket in years.

Craig

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
paramedick said:
Any yeas or nays for the two routes.? The Detroit route does keep me mostly off toll roads. Fast border crossings are a plus.

Thanks, Bruce
Fast border crossings? At Detroit/Windsor? Lots of luck there! :rolleyes: It's the busiest US/Canada crossing in the midwest. If you have to come via Michigan then take I-94 north to Port Huron/Sarnia as that crossing is less congested. That said if you are crossing right on the holiday weekend itself both will be busy - I know firsthand from the Fest held in Burlington, Ontario back in 2003.

Aren't you coming in bhtoofer's gigantic TDI convoy anyway? That is sure to cause a jam as well! :p

jettafock

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta GLS TDI auto, platinum gray, ESP
Hey guys I was just wondering whats the best way to get up to the fest from the Baltimore area? Google maps has me taking 81 into Canada. Would it be any faster to take 81 to 88 to 87 up to the fest?

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
jettafock said:
Hey guys I was just wondering whats the best way to get up to the fest from the Baltimore area? Google maps has me taking 81 into Canada. Would it be any faster to take 81 to 88 to 87 up to the fest?
Interseting question, AAA has me taking 81 to 78 to 87 where as mapquest just takes 81 all the way up.

At this point I'm planning on taking I-76 to I-81 to CN-401 on the way up. Then take CN-15 to I-87 to US-209 to I-80 to I-81 to I-76 on the way back. There's only 10 miles difference in the routes. The trip back will be a bit slower since US-209 won't be as fast as an interstate but it will be more scenic, and I don't have to be back to work until Wednesday.

black_and_chrome

Veteran Member
TDI
Black Jetta 2005
TheGrove said:
Interseting question, AAA has me taking 81 to 78 to 87 where as mapquest just takes 81 all the way up.

At this point I'm planning on taking I-76 to I-81 to CN-401 on the way up. Then take CN-15 to I-87 to US-209 to I-80 to I-81 to I-76 on the way back. There's only 10 miles difference in the routes. The trip back will be a bit slower since US-209 won't be as fast as an interstate but it will be more scenic, and I don't have to be back to work until Wednesday.

I-81 to 401 all the way... I have driven both routes many times... It’s a much nicer and quicker drive!

dubdrew

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
i would suggest avoiding toronto, traffic there can get quite bad even at night due to construction in some cases

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Actually, if you're coming up I-81 and would like a bit of a scenic route once in Ontario, take the Thousands Islands Parkway East when you get off the bridges... It eventually merges with the 401...

Also, be aware that fuel in Quebec costs more than in Ontario, so for all those who will be coming in on the 401, when you reach exit (kilometer marker) 789 in Cornwall, you have the choice of an Irving station on the North side (Diesel only - as if anyone here would be driving a gasoline-powered vehicle) and a Sunoco station about 400 feet South of the exit... cheapest prices in the region...

See you at the Fest...

Yuri.

Last edited:

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
I second the Sunoco at exit 789. One of my favord fueling stations when passing thru that area.

4JimmyVee

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Silver
At 1000's Islands Canada Custom is usally very good, I've pass this border 8-12 times a year. At fort Erie, I have has several pull off events where we play 50 questions usally along the line why do I go to the USA so many times a year.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
jettafock said:
So what is the current price of diesel at the Sunoco at exit 789?
Last night it was 86.9 cents (Canadian) / liter

(That equals U$ 3.098 / US gallon).

At least we have universal health care... :)

Yuri.