MN Chat Thread

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
And sometimes this is a devilishly difficult problem to fix. I once had three bonafide TDI experts try to convince me that I needed a new (or rebuilt) injection pump, when the problem was an O-ring on the thermostatic-T of the fuel filter.
HAH. hopefully its just air. I just replaced 2 fuel filters and the orings in the last 1000 miles, so that should be fine.

going out now to check the #3 to see if its air.

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Battery is probably shot. Drained a battery pack pretty quick. Put it on a jumper with my civic, wont even crank anymore. Its the original, so going to pick one up now.

Steve-o

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
When I asked the attendant whether many people complain that they have a really slow diesel pump, I kid you not, he looked at me blankly and said "we have diesel?"
I've driven past that station most workdays for the past 15 years and *I* didn't know they had a diesel pump. Fleet Farm for me, too, though now that I'm not working on that side of town I think I'll have to memorize the locations of Kwik Trips if I want to keep using Flint Hills Gold.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
After-Action Report

For those who are curious: my Golf's transmission shifts smoothly in and out of every gear. The clutch is much improved, with a better engagement point. It is a pleasure to drive.

But, on an entirely different not. When accelerating in any gear, at about 3600 RPM there is a vibration. If I keep accelerating, it fades away at around 4200 RPM or so. Power is unaffected.

Because it is not speed related, I suspect this vibration may have something to do with the exhaust system. But I would really like someone else to take the Golf for a test drive so I can get another opinion. Is anyone free today or on Sunday afternoon or evening?

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Bought a new battery. Cranking is back to normal

Loosened #3 injector....fuel was squirting out with the cranking, never turned over.

Tried the diesel purge. Did not have tubing that fit into lines 2 and 3 so i took the harness off and used some larger tubing I had laying around that was the size of the 2 and 3 lines coincedentally. Filled the new tubes with Dpurge. Stuck them in the Dpurge and cranked. Still will not turn over.

The diesel coming out of the IP going back to the top right mickey mouse clip was tinted slightly green as i cranked the the ignition. Any concern?

So...anyone want to buy this for parts.. ;)? New battery installed 6/9/12 :D

Last edited:

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
got busy yesterday afternoon. Revisited the jetta this morning.

1. Checked T connector. 2 O rings seem fine. Its sitting in the fuel filter correctly with the mickey clip in place
2. went ahead and cracked injectors 1, 2, 3, 4 a 1/2 turn, covered with a old rag, cranked for 10 seconds, waited a minute, 10 seconds, closed them. All 4 injectors had diesel running out of them when i removed the rag.
3. due to my D purge yesterday, there is a little bit of air in the clear hose #2. maybe 1-2 inches. But fuel is moving through it i can see slowly.
4. After 5 or 6 cranks I get white smoke from under the battery. I assume this is probably the starter motor and i dont want to fry it so i quit.
5. when cranking the ignition the RPMs are dead until about 5 seconds in, then they are in the 300s range.

Still dead.

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
10-4

Do you have a vityvac to prime the IP manually?
unfortunately no. do they lend those out on tool programs at az/oreilly etc?

CC said he could possible stop by tomorrow night with his if I need one. Or i can try to get a hold of him and see if i can meet him today to borrow it possibly.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Yes I am home with MityVac. Busy for a while doing window boxes for my Georgia Peach but I am here. Text me I sent you my phone number in a PM so we can meet today if you want just name the place.

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Borrowed a MityVac. FF is fuel. Pumped in over 1 can of Diesel Purge into the IP with the mightly vac. Cranked. Sounded more promising that before, got close to 400 RPM. Let it sit. Cranked a minute later same thing 300-400 RPM but would not turn over.

Loosened Inj #3 a 1/2 turn and cranked. Diesel just bubbled out, not sprayed like I wouldve expected.

Diagnosis: IP shot? If So what does someone (like GG) charge to replace that?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
TR- Is the vibration only felt during accel? If you were in the thick of tte vibration and let off the throttlewould it go away?
I don't think so. Since the transmission was just rebuilt last week, is there anything in the transmission that rotates as the same speed as the engine, or at a fixed ratio to engine speed regardless of which gear is selected?

I don't think it is a vibration in the exhaust system, and 99% sure it is not engine related. But I am concerned and would appreciate a first, second, and third opinion.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Well the input shaft spins at engine rpm.

I really have a hard time trusting cheap axles. I would suspect them or possible mount misalignment before I would suspect an internal trans issue.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well the input shaft spins at engine rpm.
I really have a hard time trusting cheap axles. I would suspect them or possible mount misalignment before I would suspect an internal trans issue.
Ahhh... but this "vibration" happens at a certain engine speed, not vehicle speed.

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Put Ohm meter on 200, put it on the fuel shut off solenoid. 8.7 at rest.

Additionally I jumped it from the battery pos term with a wire, clicks on and off. Sounds like its clicks on and off when the cranking the ignition as well

Last edited:

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
TB.

Stupid question, Do you have voltage at the shut off solenoid?

Additionally I jumped it from the battery pos term with a wire, clicks on and off. Sounds like its clicks on and off when the cranking the ignition as well
So is that how you test it? Set the meter to the 200 ohm setting, red on solenoid, black on something unpainted to ground it.....? if so its 8.1, 8.3, 8.7 which isnt 12 when the car key is in the run setting. If thats not how i test, let me know

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL

From the Bentley Manual:

Clean the area around the fuel shut-off valve and remove the valve, o-grin, spring, and plunger. Some fuel will come out.

Clean and inspect solenoid plunger and seat. Slide plunger into the valve and check for free movement. If plunger does not move freely replace valve assembly.

Carefully check for dirt and metal particles in valve bore of injection pump. The slightest amount of debris will cause malfunctions.

Reinstall torque to 30 ft-lb.

As you had to apply vacuum for a long time to get fuel into the pump that says the pump was empty. So why the pump has no fuel in it is the question we are trying to answer here.

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
From the Bentley Manual:

Clean the area around the fuel shut-off valve and remove the valve, o-grin, spring, and plunger. Some fuel will come out.

Clean and inspect solenoid plunger and seat. Slide plunger into the valve and check for free movement. If plunger does not move freely replace valve assembly.

Carefully check for dirt and metal particles in valve bore of injection pump. The slightest amount of debris will cause malfunctions.

Reinstall torque to 30 ft-lb.

As you had to apply vacuum for a long time to get fuel into the pump that says the pump was empty. So why the pump has no fuel in it is the question we are trying to answer here.
Ok I will try that. Probably wont get free time with the wife working nights and 2 kids and it being in the street (i.e. no light where it is after 8 pm) until wednesday. If i can get them in bed by 7 either tonight or tomorrow I might be able to squeeze an hour max...sucks.

After about 20 minutes when i texted you i reinspected all the hoses from the FF to IP i had taken off in the last couple days. The intake into the IP from the FF (which was connected to Dpurge) was not sitting fully on the connector. I had removed it on sat to just hook up longer hoses i had laying around that fit on the IP nipples. Once we found that and connected it fully (after i texted you those 2 or 3 times about "air" problems or whatever)....it took maybe 5-10 minutes to get that 1 can + of DPurge into the IP and get a nice flow of it coming out the otherside with practically no bubbles.

Since Im running out of time....i might have to do the unthinkable and haul it to a stealership. blasphomy I know, but there doesnt seem to be any diesel mechanics or shops close to here according to this forums list that anyone trusts and im not going to call one out of the phonebook I dont know. (east side of St. Paul for refence to everyone). (I see there was a thread 10+ years ago talking about Leightons or Diesel & Import Auto / Truck Service.....anyone use them in the 10+ years since this thread was created? http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=31743)

Last edited:

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Toastblows, have you pulled your IP case pressure relief valve out and checked make sure internals haven't fall out? Here is link to what I'm referring to http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/VE_Pressure_regulator_Repair.pdf

If you want give a call sometime this evening and tell me bit more detailed on whats going on then will see if we can figure out whats happening.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
Ahhh... but this "vibration" happens at a certain engine speed, not vehicle speed.
Hehe, i warned you about those aftermarket axles. :D BTW I was right that he (Chad) is probably using the same aftermarket axles as everybody else, since there are only couple options available.

Anyway this vibration thing does it happens at any given speed or gear at certain RPM's? share bit more details on what exactly happening.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hehe, i warned you about those aftermarket axles. :D BTW I was right that he (Chad) is probably using the same aftermarket axles as everybody else, since there are only couple options available.

Anyway this vibration thing does it happens at any given speed or gear at certain RPM's? share bit more details on what exactly happening.
It starts at about 3600 RPM, whether I'm in 2nd gear, or 3rd gear. I'm not sure I've had it up to 3600 RPM in 4th yet, since I got it back. So it does not happen at the same vehicle speed, and cannot be caused by one of the new axles.

toastblows

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Toastblows, have you pulled your IP case pressure relief valve out and checked make sure internals haven't fall out? Here is link to what I'm referring to http://pics.tdiclub.com/data/500/VE_Pressure_regulator_Repair.pdf

If you want give a call sometime this evening and tell me bit more detailed on whats going on then will see if we can figure out whats happening.
No I have not.

JFettig has offered to come over this week. I will repost after he takes a look at the car. Thank you for all of your help MN thread board members.

Last edited: