ALH 1949 willys cj3a

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta wagon, 1949 willys cj3 ALH TDI swap
I set the engine in the frame just now to get an idea....and I realized just how much this thing doesn't want to go in there. The biggest issue is the steering box and how far back the drive train is. This engine is tiny but the front edge of the bell housing is recessed about an inch behind the firewall. I just stared at it for about an hour trying to come up with a game plan. I need to find some inspiration! haha. Im taking a day or two off from working on it to see what I can come up with. On a positive note.....I will have plenty of clearance for the hood. and the differential misses the oil pan.

Does anyone have a technical drawing of the back of the vw block? Specifically the dowel pins and crankshaft?

Ive been loosing some steam. Lots of obstacles. My plate came today so I can start working on the block adapter. I holding off on anything else until my new starter gets here. That will pretty much make or break this project for me. If the starter doesnt clear the turbo im kinda dead in the water. so.....friday I will find out. If it clears then im going ahead full steam....if it doesnt, the l-head may be going back in.

Last edited:

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Maybe go with an outside the frame type of steering box and use a pillow block to get the steering shaft out of the way?
Is there enough room to move the round frame bar forward 8 or 10" so you can move the engine forward?
Just throwing more thoughts at ya.

Last edited:

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I have been researching steering conversions. There are a few options. I was hoping not to change the steering setup, but i may not have a choice. Oil filter relocation may be an option. It may come down to which one is cheaper. I emailed a few vendors about oil filter relocation setups. Waiting to hear back. If I knew where all the ports in the block go, im sure I could make one. Just have to figure out what route i need to go. Still waiting on the starter before I do anything.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
im hoping the starter will work out because i put in a lot more time today laying out, boring, and milling my plate. I will still need to drill it for the transmission, but the VW block side is done. It took a long time to mill out the center hole. My machine is small so lots of little passes. I still have to trim it up some and cut the starter area out. I did bore the back side for the VW dowel pins. So far so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ftVuBJ3Q3k&feature=youtu.be

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Love your posts and projects, wish I had your energy. I’m thinking I should quit working on vehicles and just drive them��, won’t happen though. Getting older and smarter doesn’t necessarily go hand in ����

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Jmodge! I would love to quit working on this things and drive it! hopefullt sooner than later.

Well the moment has finally come..... Its kinda bitter sweet. I have been really excited to bolt everything up, but also have been stressed about the starter/turbo clearance. Im kinda hinging the project of this.

So.....My starter came and i milled down the side of my engine plate where the started goes so I could test fit it. It was really close to the turbo so I drilled an extra set of holes in the clocking ring to swing the motor down farther away from the turbo. Its better but still close. The starter is cast into the bell housing so Im kinda stuck with it there. I think I can get creative with an elbow to make the down pipe go upward a few inches to give the starter extra room, but Im worried its going to cook the starter. Maybe i can make some sort of heat shield/header wrap, turbo cover or something. What are your thoughts? Ive heard some guys that do toyota truck tdi swaps often have starter clearance issues. Im not sure if its a problem or just an inconvenience.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
This is interesting, I have an '85 4runner i hope to get to before I end up in the ground. But, unfortunately it is down the list for now.
I looked at a Toyota with an acme adaptor, but thought I might want to clock it different. Is that crank and bell bolt pattern in a pdf file somewhere by chance/

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Great! That looks very similar to mine if not a little tighter. Good to hear you haven't had any issues! I found the alh print on here somewhere. I blew it up to see the block better.. PM your email and I can send it to you. Not sure how to attach a file on here.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
pm sent, thanks

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
THanks! Engine/Trans is all bolted together and sitting in the frame. No motor mounts yet but getting there. You may want to look away is you get squeamish around firewall cutting. :) I had to make room for the vacuum pump and water outlet on the back of the head. I will make a nice box that will close it all up, and paint it to match. I hooked up the battery and cranked it over a second or two with the starter to make sure engagement was good. It turned over just fine. I cranked it in gear with the clutch depressed to make sure it would release. So far so good. Now time to fix the firewall, make motor mounts, and plumb everything.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
BIG OBSTACLES
1) steering box/oil filter clearance
2) water outlet clearance on the back of the head.
3) Exhaust downpipe

LITTLE ANNOYANCES
1) Motor mounts
2) Box in firewall
4) run coolant lines
5) run fuel lines
6) inner cooler
7) oil cooler
8) wiring
9) Plumb return line to fuel tank

Im sure there will be more these are just the ones that come to mind.....easy peasy right? hhaha!

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No small project there, looking good. what are your thoughts on making that box removeable for servicing? Leakage and timing belts come to mind.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Yes, My plan is to make a removable panel big enough to put the cam lock in for timing belt service.... this engine needs a timing belt before its put on the road. I will just have to figure out the best way to do it and keep it sealed up well

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
I started messing around with making my own relocation plate.... I only have like an 1" of clearance. I may try to move my drivetrain over at least 1/2 or so. Because when the engine rocks i dont want it to hit the plate.

Replacing this

Last edited:

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Are you going to tap those holes and use A/N fittings?
If you haven't removed the turbo oil line yet be super careful,they twist and break real easy. I replaced the hard line with a braided one,I twisted the hard line
when trying to remove it.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah I avoid solid turbo feed lines.... I had one blow on me at work one time.
Lost almost all of the oil in a minute. I went to a braided line.
I just ordered another one for this engine. SO much nicer to work with. Yes I am going to be using -8an fittings and hoses on everything. I am just going to run a spin on oil filter and remote oil cooler. I know the filter wont be as good as the stock VW one, but spin ons are cheap. I will just change the filter more often. The plate will still have the port for the turbo banjo bolt and the oil sensor. I am also going to tap it 1/4 npt for the factory oil pressure gauge inside.
Are you going to tap those holes and use A/N fittings?
If you haven't removed the turbo oil line yet be super careful,they twist and break real easy. I replaced the hard line with a braided one,I twisted the hard line
when trying to remove it.

Scatman

TDI
TDI UNIMOG 411
Hello everyone, my name is Uli I live in Freiburg Germany.Selber I have a Unimog 411 rebuilt on Tdi. 35 years ago, I also had a Willys I've converted to Mercedes 508 gearbox and 3 liter Ford V6. I can not speak English well, so I use the Google translator. I am very impressed by the Willys conversion and I am looking forward to the performance and of course the consumption. Should the 3-speed transmission remain in the future with your Willys? With us, many Willys were converted to Mercedes diesel with 4-speed gearbox. With the enormous torque of the Tdi, it is certainly possible because even at the front there is still a lot of space to use a 5 or 6-speed gearbox. VG ULI

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive made some progress over the past few days.... Made my motor mounts and modified my water neck so it exits towards the passenger side. It was pretty much pointing right at the brake pedal. I also shorted it some so it doesnt stick out as far. The engine is now bolted in and supported in the frame! Waiting on shipping of a bunch of fittings and stuff for my oil system.

My biggest concern now is whether or not I will have room for my radiator!!

1.9ZOOK

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH Samurai
Nice!
Looks like there is no heater,so I think you can just 180 rubber hose the outlet
to the metal tube that goes to the water pump.
Maybe a stand alone Mojave heater for heat?

Hasenwerk

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
1982 Cabriolet (BEW|VNT17|Stage4), 1989 VW TriStar Syncro soon-to-be CR TDI (CBEA), 2001 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 (ALH|VNT17|R520|Stage4)
Great looking job - my suggestion is that you find better motor mounts - those rubber ones look rather hard and it will be vibration city for you when done.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Im not planning on ever putting a top or heater on this jeep so one less thing to worry about. Yeah these motor mounts are experimental. If/when they suck I will find something better. I used these on my Mercedes diesel and have been happy with them for 4 years. But it wont be a big deal to change them out if they rattle my fillings out haha! What ever mounts I use cannot allow too much movement because my steering shaft is about 1.5" from hitting my oil filter plate.

Millennium Falcon

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks Zook! I couldnt have done it without your inspiring pictures and info! :)

Nice!
Looks like there is no heater,so I think you can just 180 rubber hose the outlet
to the metal tube that goes to the water pump.
Maybe a stand alone Mojave heater for heat?