Amsoil - Eurpoean 5w-40 Synthetic

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
One significant difference between the Red Line products and the Amsoil AFL is that RL doesn't even reference the VW505.01 standard, whereas Amsoil claims it "meets/exceeds" this standard. That distinction might become important in a discussion with the dealer service dept. regarding warranty work.

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
I agree that the Amsoil is a safer choice when it comes to warranty and VW dealers seem to be fine with it too. I came close to using Amsoil in my own vehicles, but in the end I went for Red Line instead because of its more stable Polyol Ester basestock and some wear data that I've seen, though I don't wish to discuss it in this thread. Nevertheless Amsoil makes great oils too and I'm sure the 5W-40 AFL is a fine choice for our PD engines.

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Golf GLS 1.9TDi; 2012 Volkswagen Golf 2.0 TDi
tditom said:
I was following that thread, I just read it again and didn't see your challenge. (Maybe I'm a little slow this morning:) - need more coffee).

What do you think the footnote on the oil TSB implies? The sentence that states something to the effect of "If you are unsure of what oil to use, please consult your VW service adviser." It looks to me that the TSB is not the end-all for this dispute. I would be going to the service advisor when the car is in warranty with a bottle of Amsoil AFL, and asking them to put it in writing what their warranty would be on the car using this oil.

Can you explain your fear of the car crashing from the use of "unapproved oil"? At least it sounds like that is a real concern of yours. Thanks for your well written posts!

tditom said:
I was following that thread, I just read it again and didn't see your challenge. (Maybe I'm a little slow this morning -
tditom said:
need more coffee).
I was trying to be a little “light” with Andy, since he was asking for proof of a document he also posted here on the forum. It was late and I was tired.

tditom said:
What do you think the footnote on the oil TSB implies? The sentence that states something to the effect of "If you are unsure of what oil to use, please consult your VW service adviser."
That, as much as Volkswagen can control it, a Dealer is expected to have the most up to date information available from Volkswagen. TSB’s can be purchased by the general public, but they are sent to Dealers for free as soon as they are issued. By virtue of being granted a franchise from Volkswagen they are to first in line “VW Factory Representative.”

I know, have known, that many Dealers, past and present, resent the requirements by manufacturers that their Staff be technically current and up to date and that all service technicians attend Factory training beyond the bare minimum, because it is seen as an expense that they cannot directly recoup. They prefer to just sell cars and rely on one or two, maybe just there “foreman” to be technically current.

It would take me some time to cite all that I have seen and heard as both an employee of VW Dealers and Independent Shops; a BMW North America Service Technician Student; Automotive Service College Student; an end user of what passes for “competent and professional service” by those with years of experience and / or journeymen cards.

I found, with bitter experience that there are far more professional “parts changers” out there than professional mechanics and service technicians. It was quite sobering years ago to undergo training with BMW Factory Instructors on test stand engines, with the exception of two that came from junk yard wrecks, build up from parts submitted by Dealers to BMW as defective under warranty!

I also came to the conclusion many years ago that, here in the States at least, that Volkswagen and Audi (and others too!) either win or lose their reputations for high quality products in the Service Bay.

tditom said:
It looks to me that the TSB is not the end-all for this dispute. I would be going to the service advisor when the car is in warranty with a bottle of Amsoil AFL, and asking them to put it in writing what their warranty would be on the car using this oil.
This, to me, is a creative attempt to circumvent the fact Amsoil is not recognized by Volkswagen as a suitable oil for their engines. It seems clear to me, on Amsoil’s Web site, who their real market is. At the very least, as Amsoil claims, they could actually demonstrate why they are superior in the face of VW / Audi requirements, especially when there are, in the case of VW 505.01, 295 brands / companies that do.

Does Amsoil have actual BMW, Porsche or Mercedes-Benz approval?

tditom said:
Can you explain your fear of the car crashing from the use of "unapproved oil"? At least it sounds like that is a real concern of yours.

I have no fear because I do not use any oils, that according to the designer and manufacturer of my engine, will / may, under normal use cause a catastrophic failure of my engine while I am cruising at 3,100 rpm @ 85 mph, or better on a US Interstate, a French Autoroute, a German Autobahn, et al.

tditom said:
Thanks for your well written posts!
Thank you very much for the very kind words. VW’s / Audi’s are a passion and I joined this forum to relieve friends, family, and colleagues of my musings on something that was once a cherish career. Plus, I enjoy honest, well reasoned, discussion and debate and like to think I take as good as I give.

:) ;)

Last edited:

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
Look, the debate could go on forever.

If you want to use Amsoil, then fine. Just don't try and convince everyone else to use it.

During this whole debate, I've never told folks they should use ELF, my choice, or Motul, or Castrol, or Pentosin, or Quaker State. The whole issue was 505.01 oils on VW's list vs. oils not on the list.

It seems like the Amsoil supporters are trying to sell everyone on that brand. Schaeffer and Bardahl also market oils they claim meet 505.01 specs.

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
tditom said:
One significant difference between the Red Line products and the Amsoil AFL is that RL doesn't even reference the VW505.01 standard, whereas Amsoil claims it "meets/exceeds" this standard. That distinction might become important in a discussion with the dealer service dept. regarding warranty work.

I have rebutted on this aready in another post, but Amsoil says only that it "is formulated to surpass the most demanding European specifications." They never say which ones, and according to Andy H they do not have the VW specs, but have only analysed Castrol and Motul 505.01 oils.:eek:

Quoting Amsoil Web site:

APPLICATION

AMSOIL Synthetic European Car Formula is formulated to surpass the most demanding European specifications. It is recommended for European and North American gasoline or diesel vehicles requiring any of the following worldwide specifications:

• API SM/CF
  • ACEA C3-04
  • ACEA A3/B3-04
  • ACEA A3/B4-04
  • BMW LL-04
  • Mercedes Benz 229.31, 229.51
  • Porsche
  • Saab
  • Volvo
  • VW 502.00, 505.00, 505.01
  • MS-10725

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fahrfuwerfuelen said:
...If you want to use Amsoil, then fine. Just don't try and convince everyone else to use it...
OK. And if you DON'T want to use it, that's fine too. Just don't try to convince everyone else not to use it. Is that fair, Fahr? If it is then these threads wouldn't need to go back and forth for 100+ posts!

Jombl was trying to put together a comprehensive list of points to cover the essentials of this debate. If we could agree to the basic points of the debate, and point a newbie to these points before engaging again in the debate, then we could save some serious resources on this forum. You won't convince anyone who wants to use Amsoil to not use it, and noone is going to convince you to try it (at least under warranty). Fair enough. Let's put together a list of real FAQ's, make it a sticky, and avoid rehashing. I nominate AndyH and Karlaudi as the pro/con on Amsoil. Let them work together on the points of the argument and we can agree to never engage on this again. What do you guys say?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
karlaudi said:
...I have no fear because I do not use any oils, that according to the designer and manufacturer of my engine, will / may, under normal use cause a catastrophic failure of my engine while I am cruising at 3,100 rpm @ 85 mph, or better on a US Interstate, a French Autoroute, a German Autobahn, et al...
Karl-
I'm pretty sure you know what I was getting at. Do you really think that a name brand oil (not the olive oil jug that Fahr keeps showing) would actually lead to a "crash" in the middle of operation?

brann524

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta tdi, 5 speed
this saying has helped me gain a little understanding of people when we won't give in or see the light including me
"A man convinced against his will is of the same opinion still"

brann524

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta tdi, 5 speed
Hey men,thanks for making me a member of this fantastic club,so far I have thoroughly enjoyed the conversation-all of it,look forward to checking each evening to see what's up. Nice not to be called newbie anymore.

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
GCMarx said:
I can only speak for myself, but I'm not bashing any product. Pointing out that VWAG hasn't certified Amsoil as 505.01-compliant isn't bashing, it's the truth, and even the Amsoil dealers admit it.

I'm sure Amsoil is great stuff. They certainly seem to have many loyal customers. I personally get frustrated, however, when dealers misrepresent their products. The oil may be great, and there may never be a problem with it, but representing it as 505.01 certified is pretty lame, and I don't think it's appropriate.

That's [hopefully] all I've got to say. Good night and good luck.
I very much agree, but.....:eek:

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
tditom said:
Karl-
I'm pretty sure you know what I was getting at. Do you really think that a name brand oil (not the olive oil jug that Fahr keeps showing) would actually lead to a "crash" in the middle of operation?

Let me put in a word – Yes. OK more than a word. Every day here in the San Francisco Bay Area people crash their cars, or crash into someone else’s car, for two main reasons:

Incompetence and / or mechanical failure.

In the `80’s Audi suddenly found that in its North American market, specifically the US, Soccer Moms were fatally pinning their kids against the back walls of their garages, people were making claims that there cars took off by all themselves while they frantically tried to stop the car in vain with its brakes.

This largely occurred only in the USA. Only the, then current, Nissan Z-car came very close to the numbers of “unintended acceleration” incidents Audi had. As you may recall, at that time Audi was crucified in the press and the court of public opinion. They made the fatal PR mistake, before they had clear evidence, that maybe the cause of such incidents was driver error.

At the time, the only real difference between Audis equipped with ZF Automatic transmission, as I recall, and other car companies using the same basic transmissions was Audi, for ergonomics, placed the brake pedal and accelerator pedal closer together than was standard practice and the transmissions were FWD versions.

Audi bought every Audi reported to suffer from “Unintended Acceleration” , wrecked or not, and sent them back to Germany to find the source problem as quickly as possible.

Audi had been very successful at that time with cutting edge technology etc. Reports were beginning to surface that people were actually stepping hard on the accelerator pedal thinking they were hitting the brake. Audi publicly stated that it could find nothing wrong with its cars. But no one would believe it and Audi’s Sales tanked.

The readership of Britain’s Car magazine began writing to the Editor as to what the problem with Americans not knowing were their feet were to go and should they be worried about their Audi’s, which had no such problems. One reader, and I remember it to this day, wrote that “ Americans were too busy putting Garfield suction toys on their windows to know exactly where their feet were supposed to go!”

Road & Track magazine would publish an extensive article proving, conclusively, that people were hitting the gas pedal instead, even to the point of protest and that was the problem all along. Road & Track had it all on tape. Audi would retrofit cars with shift locks and future versions of these models would have, in addition, the pedals spaced farther apart. But the damage was done and Sales would not recover until the advent of the Audi A4.

Toward the later part of that period I was in BMW NA’s Technician Training School. We were in a separate training program from that of Dealer Service personnel for most of our classes.

As part of our training we would service and repair cars. An M6/L6, I do not recall which one, came in with a clearly “beat” appearance. I would, by sound alone, diagnosis a pressure plate separating from the flywheel, due to abuse it would turn out, and something else that taught me how companies take the engineering and safety of their cars seriously.

While up on the lift, I discovered that the left rear HDPE or PP plastic left rear wheel well liner had melted about 50 to 75 mm away from the muffler. These cars had just come from Texas and had be flogged by the Press Corp.

At the time BMW used a “pink post card” reporting system for reporting problems and defects by Dealer Service Technicians in which, upon discovering a defect or problem, the Technician would fill out the card and send the postage paid card directly to BMW NA / BMW AG by the Postal Service.

I filled out my card and concluded my report by saying that, in my view, there was a possible fire hazard. I was confident in my diagnosis. I did very well studying Automotive Service in College. I and five other students beat out 100 or so semi-finalist to get into the program, Hey no problem.

About two weeks later one of my Instructors brought me the very same card I had filled out, mailed, and told me to fill it out again, exactly the same. Only this time I was to leave out the part of the wheel liner catching fire.

Why you may ask was I to leave out the catching fire part?

Well, Diesel Addict would cry, “SEE, They don’t care! Cover up !”

Yet my comment about the wheel liner catching fire was speculation. I could not prove, nor did I know, why it happened. Plus, I lacked the expertise, experience and the resources to determine why that wheel liner next to the muffler melted, as other cars in our care had not.

In short, I was not qualified to speculate, nor was I responsible to correct such problems, but to report them. Engineers back in Germany had the responsibilities to correctly determine the cause and make any corrections through production design changes and / or their version of a TSB’s and related Dealer level services. In the end, what the Factory wants, is facts from the field, not speculation.

It was these two events, Audi’s North American problem with “Unintended Acceleration” and my experience with inner workings of BMW NA, and others, that taught me that the people who run these particular firms really do care about what they design, sell and service. That when it comes to the “real world” application and function of the cars they design and sell, it is only facts that matter.

So when the Volkswagen Group chose to publish a TSB or any document with a statement like this:

Service
[Note this is in a “box” with the European Attention triangle.]

Failure to use engine oil for your engine that expressly conforms to Volkswagen oil quality standard VW 505.01 can cause engine failure on the highway that can cause a crash and serious personal injury.

I have every faith that the folks at VW, SEAT, Skoda, and Audi do not take such statements lightly and run them by both the Engineers and the Lawyers before the such statements ever see a TSB and for good reason.

:eek: :D :) ;)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
karl-
With all your professional automotive service training, can you explain how a non-approved 505.01 oil could possibly cause a crash? Or are you willing to simply take VW at their word?

Regarding the warning itself, do you have any idea if the same terminology is used in the German warning- namely that a crash could result? Or is this a liability-averse VWoA response to the whole 505.01 Owner's Manual fiasco (where they incorrectly named the oil in the manual on many of the manuals)?

Last edited:

AndyH

Registered Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'97 Passat Wagon 410K RIP
karlaudi said:
I have rebutted on this aready in another post, but Amsoil says only that it "is formulated to surpass the most demanding European specifications." They never say which ones, and according to Andy H they do not have the VW specs, but have only analysed Castrol and Motul 505.01 oils.:eek:
Sorry, Karl -- this is not correct. You've attributed this to me in the past and I think it needs to be set straight.

More than a year ago - when the early 505.01 conversations started - and we as a group started digging for 505.01 info from Euro oil companies, VWoA, VWAG, SwRI, and other sources, TDIers also started beating on AMSOIL to build oil for PDs. No - this was NOT my doing! I don't have a PD - I'm firmly and happily entrenched in my B4V. :)

At this point in history, VWAG did not release the 'additional performance' numbers they require of 505.01 over 500.00 or 505.00. AMSOIL had it's 5W-40 Euro product but expressly did NOT recommend it for PD TDIs. Based on discussions/wars/friendly conversations here, I (among others!) had a talk with AMOSIL tech, found that they were looking into the spec, and had a liter of Castrol TXT in the lab. I ordered a liter of Motul 505.01 from Impex and mailed it to the lab in Superior so they could look at this product as well. This is standard practice in the industry -- Other oil companies order AMSOIL directly from AMSOIL corporate!

The word I got in May 05, while attending AMSOIL University, while speaking with the guy in charge of the attempt to add a 505.01 product to AMSOIL's lineup, was that the company had decided to NOT offer 505.01 and NOT recommend any of their current products, because they couldn't verify or validate the required 'increased performance' expected of 505.01 by VWAG.

I hope this soundly refutes your belief that the current AFL product - completely reformulated from the ground-up -- after getting the specifics of the 505.01 requirement from Europe -- is simply reverse engineered anything. Keep in mind that 505.01 oil at that time was Group III. I don't believe simply reverse-engineering Castrol's additive package and using it with PAO/ester would work -- and it certainly wouldn't allow a product to meet the more stringent requirements of Benz 229.51 or BMW LL-04.

Cheers,
Andy

Historical note: Not only was AFL not copied from any current product - it was the first 2nd generation 505.01 product on the market. VW revised the 505.01 specification. Gone are the 505.01/505.00/500.00-based products. The 2nd generation 505.01 products are at least 505.01/502.00/505.00. Some include Benz 229.51 and ACEA C3.

Last edited:

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
tditom said:
karl-
With all your professional automotive service training, can you explain how a non-approved 505.01 oil could possibly cause a crash? Or are you willing to simply take VW at their word?

Regarding the warning itself, do you have any idea if the same terminology is used in the German warning- namely that a crash could result? Or is this a liability-averse VWoA response to the whole 505.01 Owner's Manual fiasco (where they incorrectly named the oil in the manual on many of the manuals)?
I too would like to know (without having to read another lengthy essay) how a non-505.01 oil could cause a crash. My theory is that it is BS and that VW is simply scaring the customer into using a low SAPS oil in order to provide extra protection for the catalyst and satisfy the EPA bureaucrats. I do think that using a regular dino Group I or II oil would probably result in increased sludge and wear in the long term, but I don't know about a crash. Even the goofus who used to let JiffyLube service his PD and it resulted in the worn-out cam didn't suffer from a crash. The car was just smoking, knocking and had less power.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
AndyH said:
I hope this soundly refutes your belief that the current AFL product - completely reformulated from the ground-up -- after getting the specifics of the 505.01 requirement from Europe -- is simply reverse engineered anything.
So... now your claiming again that Amsoil got the 505.01 requirement from Europe. We addressed this in the other thread and I thought that the outcome was that you weren't really sure what 505.01 specific info they had? They just knew what they had to know to make 505.01, but with no specifics about the content/source of that information. Weren't you going to ask about this at the Amsoil University meeting at the end of this month? Maybe you've learned something since the last thread?

I'm just flabbergasted by this... it is accepted that Amsoil doesn't pay for certifications of any kind, and people who use it count on the fact that the required testing has been done to verify compliance with claimed standards. If Amsoil indeed knows about the 505.01-specific tests and requirements, why don't they just officially say so? That would silence a lot of critics, or at least dull a lot of the critics arguments.

Because in absence of an official statement like that, all you've got is "trust us, it'll work", which, understandably, makes some folks uncomfortable.

nortones2

Veteran Member
TDI
Formerly Passat 1.9 110hp
Its particularly interesting to know whether Amsoil have put the product claiming 505.01 to the final VW test regime. If so, did it pass? Is there a shadow VW test house, where a candidate product can be run throught the routine before the submission, on the quiet? I suspect that oil chemistry is not as exact a science as some would portray, and that the final test of durability when very stringent wear measurements are applied can eliminate products.

AndyH

TDI
Fahrfuwerfuelen said:
Since this is my first VW and I have under 20k in mileage, I have not had a lubricant related failure in a VW.

I do not use Am soil products and therefore have not had any warranty issues with them.

My point in responding to Paul Fisher's post was since the cost to repair such damage could be costly, VWoA would try and find a way out of their obligations under the warranty. Look at VW's actions regarding biodiesel. VW doesn't attempt to prove the fuel and/or injector pump became defective because of the biodiesel. Use more than B5 and VW says you are not covered under their warranty. Period.

If that's an indication of how VW deals with warranty issues, do you honestly believe VW is going to first prove the damage was caused by the use of an oil not on their list? Are they going to go thru all of that cost and expense before denying warranty coverage? Don't know what you guys in SA are smoking if you believe that.

Now. How long is the car going to be at the VW dealer before they diagnose the problem as an oil related problem? Is VW going to send down one of their regional reps to assess the problem? How long will that take?

Under Am soil's warranty, numerous steps must be followed, otherwise Amsoil can reject the warranty claim.

1. If the OEM warranty is in effect, warranty repairs have to be sought from the OEM.

2. Amsoil must be notified w/i 30 days of the failure. Not w/i 30 days of the OEM's denial of warranty coverage. So how long does the car sit at VW before warranty coverage is denied? Good question. How many folks will wait until after VW denies warranty coverage before contacting Amsoil? Or will they notify Amsoil before they know it's an oil related failure?

3. Owner must submit 8oz. sample of the oil to Amsoil. Hopefully the VW techs did not drain and dispose of all of the oil.

4. Documentation regarding the car and the lubricants, etc. (you can read for yourself what's required).

5. Proof of purchase of Amsoil lubricant.

6. Batch number from the oil container. How many folks save their empty containers? Purchase receipts?

Fail to comply with any of these steps and Amsoil can reject the warranty claim.

Amsoil further reserves the right, assuming you met all of the conditions, to investigate, or have their insurance carrier investigate the matter. How long will this take? Another good question.

Warranties are written by manufacturers to protect the manufacturers' interests. If you think warranties are written to protect the consumers, then you really have to stop smoking that stuff.
Fahr -- thank you for your thoughts here. I think this gets to the heart of the matter - and the reason I was asked to get into these threads to begin with -- concerns with warranty.

Where to start?

- You don't use AMSOIL, and you've never had a VW oil related failure or claim. Cool. I have used a LOT of other oils in my VWs since my '77 Rabbit and the only engine failure I've had was in my '88 Jetta gasser which had a lifetime of 3000 mile oil changes with Castrol. I've never seen an oil problem with AMSOIL - in either my cars, or any of my customer's vehicles -- and 90% of my business is commercial - hard use, regular abuse, overloaded -- you get the picture.

- "since the cost to repair such damage could be costly, VWoA would try and find a way out of their obligations under the warranty" This seems a stretch for someone with no experience with lube warranty issues with VW?

- "VW's actions regarding biodiesel. VW doesn't attempt to prove the fuel and/or injector pump became defective because of the biodiesel" Smokescreen/ruddy fishie. We've already gone over this -- and I've presented you with links to both VW's position, and the position from the world's fuel injection system manufacturers, on biodiesel use.

- "do you honestly believe VW is going to first prove the damage was caused by the use of an oil not on their list? Are they going to go thru all of that cost and expense before denying warranty coverage?" This has been covered as well. NO auto manufacturer provides warranty coverage for lubricant failure. Therefore, in EVERY CASE where an engine failure happens, the auto dealership's interest is ultimately to prove their engine works, and put it on the oil company. That's why I specifically gave real-world examples of how these types of issues are handled by regular oil companies -- the info I have and presented was from Castrol -- and I gave the source. The oil company is responsible for their product. Every time. No exceptions.

- "Now. How long is the car going to be at the VW dealer before they diagnose the problem as an oil related problem? Is VW going to send down one of their regional reps to assess the problem? How long will that take?" Another masterful redirection/smokescreen. Based on what? I remember -- nothing. Cool.

- On AMSOIL's warranty VS the manufacturer's warranty and other oil company's warranty:

Mobil 1 has their new extended life oil. It specifically states on the bottle that 15,000 mile OCIs are NOT covered by Mobil's warranty if the vehicle is still covered by the manufacturer's warranty -- use the OEM OCIs until out of warranty. Compare this with:

VW's warranty is on their hardware ONLY - and ONLY until the beast hits it's stated powertrain warranty which is pretty short. So VW is only responsible for their hardware - and then only for defects in material or workmanship - until the owner hits 36,000 miles or whatever the period is.

AMSOIL's warranty covers the oil and hardware regardless of OEM warranty -- and this coverage is renewed at EVERY OIL CHANGE - regardless of age, mileage, or status of any other warranty.

I've also given you specifics of the only two times I've opened reports with AMSOIL on mechanical problems with equipment and how quickly the've responded. Of course, you can completely ignore the fact that they've never had a failure in their 33 year history.

- "Warranties are written by manufacturers to protect the manufacturers' interests. If you think warranties are written to protect the consumers, then you really have to stop smoking that stuff." Aside from your personal comments, I agree completely with this. Which is why it's VITAL to base a decision on facts not on fear or guesses or whatever it is that you've been using for your thought process. Auto warranties only last until the warranty expires -- time or mileage, whichever comes first. An oil company's warranty is RENEWED AT EVERY OIL CHANGE. Each individual oil change is a warranty period - but in addition, proof of use of the oil over time covers long-term degredation as well -- which is the perfect example of the much feared but still not often seen PD cam 'failure mode'.

Last general point: The SOLE thread where PD cam failure was identified from using inappropriate oil was NOT from a company that claims in any way to make 505.01 compliant oil. Therefore, this is NOT a certified/claims/exceeds datapoint and is completely irrelevant to the warranty argument. One more time -- the oil used was NOT AMSOIL and it was NOT Bardahl and it was NOT Lucas 10W-40 and it was NOT Schaeffer. It wasn't even synthetic.

Andy

AndyH

TDI
Davin said:
So... now your claiming again that Amsoil got the 505.01 requirement from Europe. We addressed this in the other thread and I thought that the outcome was that you weren't really sure what 505.01 specific info they had? They just knew what they had to know to make 505.01, but with no specifics about the content/source of that information. Weren't you going to ask about this at the Amsoil University meeting at the end of this month? Maybe you've learned something since the last thread?

I'm just flabbergasted by this... it is accepted that Amsoil doesn't pay for certifications of any kind, and people who use it count on the fact that the required testing has been done to verify compliance with claimed standards. If Amsoil indeed knows about the 505.01-specific tests and requirements, why don't they just officially say so? That would silence a lot of critics, or at least dull a lot of the critics arguments.

Because in absence of an official statement like that, all you've got is "trust us, it'll work", which, understandably, makes some folks uncomfortable.
In the other thread, Davin, I was staying and speaking of what I saw and read with my own eyes. That's why we went into the level of detail we went into.

Critics? Critics will request the same info from everyone evenly. This is not the case in these threads.

Here's a question for you: How can any oil company formulate an oil to meet a spec if it doesn't know the requirements of the spec? The answer is that it cannot. I hoped this would be painfully obvious, but instead it's simply upset my carpal tunnels again.

Short summary: AMSOIL builds 5W-40 Euro oil. TDIers want 505.01 from AMSOIL. AMSOIL looks at other products, and confers with their Euro additive partners, realizes that they don't have the info they need, and cancel the process. In the mean time, they continue to rework AFL to meet Benz 229.51 and BMW LL-04. Sometime between May 05 and October '05, the specifics of the VWAG 505.01 required improvement are learned. Testing and reformulation is adjusted to include 505.01 in the new product. 1 Jan 06 reformulated product starts to ship.

Have you read the 505.01 document? The requirements are clearly spelled out. They haven't changed since they were published on this forum last year. They build on the 505.00 and 500.00 doc, and the ACEA prereqs. This is NOT that difficult! The ONLY pieces of information that AMSOIL did NOT have in May of '05 was exactly what level of improvement in cleanliness, wear, and fuel mileage was required. This spec is essentially dead in the rest of the world - it doesn't even show up in the oil additive suppliers handbooks of specs any longer! VW has new specs and doesn't need to protect the three test numbers any longer. I bet one of us could get the new limits from Wolfsburg or a Euro lab if we asked. We couldn't get the info last May when we asked, but I'll be the game has changed -- as it always does! The old specs go by the wayside, replaced by the new ones.

No more Dexron III licenses. No more CI-4+ licenses soon. No more regular Mercon licenses soon.

Davin -- email the folks directly and ask them. tech@amsoil.com or call 715 392-7101 and ask for Dr. Daniel Yu. He's the guy that headed the upgrade. The helping hand you need is on the end of your arm. If you can't do something to help yourself, it means you only want to complain. I'm not interested.

Andy

ayowell

TDI
2000 Jetta/ 2001 Golf
First day on the forum

Just ordered 2 gallons of Amsoil 5-30 Diesel for my daughter's Golf TDI. I'll change it in about 15k miles. Warranty is out anyway.

Fahrfuwerfuelen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 (A4), Platinum Gray
Bye, folks.

Not worth arguing with these guys.

We now know that religious cults are not the only ones with fanatics.

SUNRG

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None currently. Previously owned 04 Golf TDI & 05 Passat GLS Wagon TDI
Have you read the 505.01 document? The requirements are clearly spelled out. They haven't changed since they were published on this forum last year.
the 505.01 specification was updated in July of 2005. i have seen no documents here or elsewhere that provide details on the update - but both Motul and Elf say the update now allows 505.01 to be met with full-synthetics and 505.01 oils can now also be 502.00.

This spec (505.01) is essentially dead in the rest of the world...
actually, 505.00 is the dying specification. with the July 05 update, 505.01 oils meet 505.00 and 502.00, so 505.00 has essentially been superceeded. i personally doubt that many new oils will be built to meet just 505.00 - the updated 505.01 specification is now the VAG fixed drain interval diesel specification.

Davin

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Golf GLS 5spd blk/blk
AndyH said:
Here's a question for you: How can any oil company formulate an oil to meet a spec if it doesn't know the requirements of the spec? The answer is that it cannot. I hoped this would be painfully obvious, but instead it's simply upset my carpal tunnels again.
This is precisely my point! The whole reason I started asking questions was to find out for sure whether or not Amsoil knows the requirements.

Here's how it works. If a supplier submits ther oil to VW, and VW gives it the official 505.01 cert, then we know that the oil meets the 505.01 spec. End of story.

For an open spec, such as ACEA B3 for example, the requirements are freely published and if an oil is tested by an independent lab and meets all the spec requirements, then we know that the oil meets the ACEA B3 spec. We can see the test results in the data sheet and match them up with spec. End of story.

If a supplier tries to build an oil with requirements that are not generally known to the public, wouldn't you expect that supplier to support it's claim that they meet spec? Like a statement that they know that part of the spec and have tested to it? In that absence of this, it's basically "trust me, I know what I'm doing."

Sometime between May 05 and October '05, the specifics of the VWAG 505.01 required improvement are learned.
How? From whom? Did they test to this improvement?

Have you read the 505.01 document? The requirements are clearly spelled out.
No they aren't. It says that there is performance required beyond the 505.00 spec, but says nothing about it. That's the whole point here. If the requirements were indeed clearly spelled out, then a lot of this argument would go away other than the hardcore anti-Amsoil folks.

The ONLY pieces of information that AMSOIL did NOT have in May of '05 was exactly what level of improvement in cleanliness, wear, and fuel mileage was required.
I thought the requirements were clearly spelled out?

Davin -- email the folks directly and ask them. tech@amsoil.com or call 715 392-7101 and ask for Dr. Daniel Yu. He's the guy that headed the upgrade.
I'll do that! Thanks!

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
tditom said:
karl-
With all your professional automotive service training, can you explain how a non-approved 505.01 oil could possibly cause a crash?
Think racecar at Le Mann with a catastrophic engine failure and sliding off the track in its own oil while in heavy traffic.

Now think TDi with under skilled driver onboard sliding in its own oil after a catastrophic engine failure, but in heavy interstate traffic with other equally under skilled/ incompetent drivers, plus OTR trucks.

tditom said:
Or are you willing to simply take VW at their word??
And yes I am.

tditom said:
I do not know at this time, but VWoA is unlikely to operate that independently. The German-American company I work for does not, for example. The head office back in Germany, at some point, oversees all things legal and technical, in all markets.

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
tdi06 said:
I'm sure that the people that litter, tailgate and run red lights can justify their position also. Heck their are enough bleeding hearts around that maybe they too can get a newspaper to say it's ok because everybody else does it. We live in some strange times so no telling.
This is far from a bleeding heart story. Look it up at www.sfgate.com

tdi06 said:
Also I must have missed where VW said no to Amsoil, really don't remember reading that anywhere.
Never read a VW/ Audi TSB ? Look up posts by myself and Drivebywire.

tdi06 said:
BTW whats wrong with Nascar,other than there are no VW's lol.
Circles, Concrete Walls.

:D

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel Addict said:
Is the VW police going to come to my house and arrest me for not using a 505.01 oil?:(:D Seriously, where does it explicitly say that one must use an oil that's on VW's list of approved oils in order to maintain warranty? I have yet to see any of you diehard VW loyalists present any such document. The owner's manual only says that the oil must conform to the relevant oil standard and all the VW dealers seem to say that if the correct standard appears on the bottle it's good enough for them and the dealers always have the final say regarding warranty as far as the customer is concerned, not some TSB or oil list. Sorry to be bursting your bubble, but that's how it is.
Is this your "Oil Tank Truck Drivers for the Truth" moment? :rolleyes:

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
AndyH said:
Sorry, Karl -- this is not correct. You've attributed this to me in the past and I think it needs to be set straight.

More than a year ago - when the early 505.01 conversations started - and we as a group started digging for 505.01 info from Euro oil companies, VWoA, VWAG, SwRI, and other sources, TDIers also started beating on AMSOIL to build oil for PDs. No - this was NOT my doing! I don't have a PD - I'm firmly and happily entrenched in my B4V. :)

At this point in history, VWAG did not release the 'additional performance' numbers they require of 505.01 over 500.00 or 505.00. AMSOIL had it's 5W-40 Euro product but expressly did NOT recommend it for PD TDIs. Based on discussions/wars/friendly conversations here, I (among others!) had a talk with AMOSIL tech, found that they were looking into the spec, and had a liter of Castrol TXT in the lab. I ordered a liter of Motul 505.01 from Impex and mailed it to the lab in Superior so they could look at this product as well. This is standard practice in the industry -- Other oil companies order AMOSIL directly from AMSOIL corporate!

The word I got in May 05, while attending AMSOIL University, while speaking with the guy in charge of the attempt to add a 505.01 product to AMSOIL's lineup, was that the company had decided to NOT offer 505.01 and NOT recommend any of their current products, because they couldn't verify or validate the required 'increased performance' expected of 505.01 by VWAG.

I hope this soundly refutes your belief that the current AFL product - completely reformulated from the ground-up -- after getting the specifics of the 505.01 requirement from Europe -- is simply reverse engineered anything. Keep in mind that 505.01 oil at that time was Group III. I don't believe simply reverse-engineering Castrol's additive package and using it with PAO/ester would work -- and it certainly wouldn't allow a product to meet the more stringent requirements of Benz 229.51 or BMW LL-04.

Cheers,
Andy
When I see documentation from the companies your cite here, by their specifications numbers, that approve the use of Amsoil then fine. Until then, Amsoil remains unsuitable for use in VW / Audi motors, at any time, according to established Volkswagen Oil Quality Standards and as cited in Offical Volkswagen and Audi Technical Service Bulletins.

I have not checked to see if Amsoil has actual "approval" from any other European passenger car manufacturer, something which is not central to this conversation anyway.

:D ;)

Diesel Addict

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI (manual)
karlaudi said:
Is this your "Oil Tank Truck Drivers for the Truth" moment? :rolleyes:
I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but as usual you're dodging the questions. I wonder since you have complete trust in whatever VW tells you, would you consider jumping off of a cliff if VW approved it and recommended it?;)

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel Addict said:
I too would like to know (without having to read another lengthy essay) how a non-505.01 oil could cause a crash. My theory is that it is BS and that VW is simply scaring the customer into using a low SAPS oil in order to provide extra protection for the catalyst and satisfy the EPA bureaucrats. I do think that using a regular dino Group I or II oil would probably result in increased sludge and wear in the long term, but I don't know about a crash. Even the goofus who used to let JiffyLube service his PD and it resulted in the worn-out cam didn't suffer from a crash. The car was just smoking, knocking and had less power.
VW never guaranteed one would crash any more than NASCAR cannot guarantee spectators wouldn't get killed at some point in a NASCAR race.

Getting a little shrill here, DA. :rolleyes:

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
SUNRG said:
the 505.01 specification was updated in July of 2005. i have seen no documents here or elsewhere that provide details on the update - but both Motul and Elf say the update now allows 505.01 to be met with full-synthetics and 505.01 oils can now also be 502.00.

actually, 505.00 is the dying specification. with the July 05 update, 505.01 oils meet 505.00 and 502.00, so 505.00 has essentially been superceeded. i personally doubt that many new oils will be built to meet just 505.00 - the updated 505.01 specification is now the VAG fixed drain interval diesel specification.

SUNRG, Your information matches current VW/Audi TSB's, as they list only available VW 502.00 and VW 505.01 approved oils.

As a point of reference, Drivebywire and I have posted these TSB's for all to review.

karlaudi

Veteran Member
TDI
Diesel Addict said:
I'm not really sure what you mean by that, but as usual you're dodging the questions. I wonder since you have complete trust in whatever VW tells you, would you consider jumping off of a cliff if VW approved it and recommended it?;)
"Ask me no questions I tell you no lies" :rolleyes:

Actually, I have jumped off a cliff, but then I was just a kid. The roof of houses too! Never thought of asking VW at any time for permission.

Well DA, I have the college training, the certificates, and the Schulungspass to boot, so I can think for myself.

Don't worry if Chevy had standards Amsoil failed to meet too and I liked Chevy's well.......

Oh, I almost forgot ..., I've had the factory tour at Ingolstadt, been to Neckarsulm and Wolfsburg too.:eek:

:D