Different Suzuki TDI...

MudBarf

TDI
None yet - want a CFWA
Hello everyone!

This is my vehicle:

It's a brilliant little thing, which I'm considering converting to a TDI. Only, I don't want a heavy 200kg+ cast iron lump, what I'm after is a lightweight engine.

So I'm looking at a CFWA 1.2 TDI. I'm told they're 75kg dry - which would make it slightly lighter than the standard Suzuki G13 engine that comes with an SJ.

I can't find much info on these engines. The 1.6's and 1.9's, sure - but not the new 1.2's. Anyone know where I can find research info on using them as a powerplant instead of the 1.6 or 1.9?

I know I probably need the dash, key, ignition barrel, ECU, loom and accelerator pedal same as the 1.6/1.9, but I'd like more concrete info. Google isn't being particularly helpful.

Any links to reading material that you nice chaps (and chapesses???) might know of?

samuraitd

Veteran Member
TDI
ahu mtdi samurai swap, 1991 jetta ecodiesel
Yes!!!! I wish we were able to get those tires over here. Unfortunately, we don't have access to all the engines you guys can get over there, so info on this board may be limited.

MudBarf

TDI
None yet - want a CFWA
Thanks guys! It is proper monster offroad, and I've only just begun to modify it (he says, having taken 2 years to rebuild it to current roadworthy state and SPOA it, peen the arches etc so the MASSIVE tyres fit...). Got a set of uprated front halfshafts to fit, because the front birfs tend to go pop. Double the strength. Got ARB lockers to fit (although one of them is a 22 spline, and with the new shafts I need 26 spline front and rear). Got a Ramsey 9000lb winch. Got plans to convert to coils.
Lots of work to do!
I did think it'd be a long shot, getting info on the 1.2 here as everything I've read on these forums is about the 1.6's and 1.9's. Still, you don't ask, you don't get.
And if you ask, you still don't get, according to my grandma... :p
The people I've spoken to who've put heavy engines in SJ's have told me that it behaves ok on the road, but the moment they go offroad in it, they really regret putting a heavy engine in there.
I think the J20 (or J24) would be the heaviest engine I'd be willing to fit. Those are Suzuki ali 4 pot motors (2.0L and 2.4L respectively) although I think even those are too heavy for my liking, and they're 40% lighter than the Peugeot and VW 4 pot diesels that people usually fit.
So I'm seriously leaning towards the VW 3 cylinder TDI. Been talking to a guy ("tuneko" on facebook) who made a Lupo 3L (with an older generation 1.2 3cylinder ali TDI) into a Lupo 2.1L (he turned a 94mpg car into a 135mpg car). This guy tuned the engine from 59hp/101ft/lb to nearly 120hp/200ft/lb.
He's building a new eco car with the newer VW 1.2 TDI, and he's using this ECU:
http://www.nira.se/NIRA_i7r.pdf
Anyone know anything about nira? Or this ECU? Or any other "custom" diesel ECU's? Or about disabling the immobiliser circuit on a standard VW ECU? I'd like to start moving forward with the project. I have an engine I'd like to buy, but I want to know I can get a working ECU for it first!
I'd like simplicity, I'd rather not have to find accelerator pedal, key, ignition barrel, dash, ECU and loom from the same car. I'm sure I could do it at a push, but it's a lot of complexity.
Have any of you lot worked out an easier way to get a TDI squeezed into another vehicle, or is shoe-horning the above parts catalogue into the new vehicle actually the easiest way to do this?
And, just because you seem to like my Zuk:

PS - does anyone know how to use bbcode to resize images on this forum? The parameters I usually use don't work.

Last edited: