limit the number of sticky posts

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Some subcategories on the forum are, in my opinion, becoming clogged with perpetually-on-top, sticky posts. Potentially it may soon be necessary to go to page two or three to see the most recent posts as the first 30 to 40 posts are all stickies.

As an alternative, is there a means of 'blocking' them through the user control panel?

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
I'm not a huge fan of the stickies either, and that's why there is a Frequently Asked Forum Section but guess what? Nobody reads anything in there.

People can't even post in the correct forum section and they're not reading the FAQ's either.

The right way would be for all those sticky topics to go into that forum section but then nobody would go there to read them. So we're left with stickies.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Maybe the way to do it is to move all of the stickies into that forum section and at the top of each forum section place a URL to the Frequently Asked Forum Section?

VW Derf

Administrator
Staff member
TDI
2010 Blue Graphite Pearl Golf Variant
I agree, there are often too many stickies.

While not as effective, we need to start a single stickie with links to the important topics/faqs. I've been making notes and as soon as I get back from TDIFest I'll be putting these things into action.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
Guys, I've asked several times if you wanted help doing just that... copying the good stickied threads into the FAQ section where they belong. Do you still want help? You both seem very buisy with real jobs whereas I've got good bits of free time (joys of being self employed eh?)...

-Jason

bam_bam_dip

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta TDI GL
Fred, let me just say this. While this site is obviously imperfect, it also doesn't need to be over engineered. It is completely useful as it is. If tweeked enough, it might become perfect for some, but others will find those tweeks to be a detriment, and some will pay no mind to instruction and post in the wrong area with hebetudinous questions.
Re-order - good
less/consolidated stickies - good
test noobs b4 posting is allowed - way good
decrease spambots - ??? They are fun to play with.

Let Jason do it!!! I'll even pitch in some beer money for him.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
compu_85 said:
Guys, I've asked several times if you wanted help doing just that... copying the good stickied threads into the FAQ section where they belong. -Jason
Why I didn't volunteer: All are "good"...to someone. They wouldn't have been stuck there unless someone thought someone else might want a quick reference. I am not willing to pass my judgement on the merits of one over another. What is trivial, trite, and mundane to me may be just the information for which someone else has been searching.
Should I ever relent and acquire something newer than a B4, I'm certain that I'll be rueing the day I complained about a perceived excess.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
I don't care for excessive stickies either, which is why I un-stickied some in the Biodiesel forums that at one time might have served a purpose. I mean, come on, a sticky for a thread about driving 700 miles per tank on Biodiesel?

I recently stickied bhtooefr's "Read: THIS SECTION IS **NOT** FOR QUESTIONS ABOUT TDIs!!!" thread on this, the Web Page News and Testing forums because of the rash of posts that don't belong. Yes, I know, it goes against my above-stated policy, and it appears that my attempts and good intentions have failed and that people just don't care to take a minute to get their bearings of a new site and read for few moments...

Fred, while I hate to raise the suggestion, but I think newbies (let's say within 30 days or while still under "newbie" status below a certain number of posts) should be confined to being able to initiate new threads only to TDI 101 and be only able to reply to threads in other forums). This practice is done in several other forums in which I visit.