ALH 1.9l TDI into a US Audi A4 avant quattro info

dino246

TDI
91 gtdi
I need some help from some TDI drivers in Europe. I need some pictures and tech help on the 1.9tdi Audi A4. I would like to get wiring diagrams and pictures of the engine bays and if posible a cutaway view of the engine bay, also info on the fuel tank and system. I am thinking of installing an ALH TDI into a 1999 Audi A4 avant, if I can get some help I would realy appreciate it. My direct email is david@ferrarisales.com thank you

TDIfreak

Veteran Member
TDI
Multivan AHY, Golf CFFB DSG, A6Q 4F 2.7 TDI CANC, 7 meter boat with ALH.
I need help from across the pond

My first thought, ALH is ment for transverse installation and Audi A4 uses longitudinal engine.
You would need at least new exhaust manifold and turbo, downpipe, engine mounts, intake plumbing and preferably the manifold. You could have some trouble with the oil filter location since they are different. I'm sure there are more things to consider.
Much easier with an AFN engine from an Audi or Passat.

BoosTDIt

Veteran Member
TDI
The Last NA 2dr 5sp
Re: I need help from across the pond

I guess he's asking for ALH cause in here (US) Audi doesn't sell andy TDI models....and the B5 Passat just barely came out...i'll be extremly hard to find a salvage one from here.

dino246

TDI
91 gtdi

Well TDIfreaks right the alh engine is for a transverse instalation but the engine arcatecture is the same as the 1.8t engine that came out in 2001 the 06A block is the same general design, so the oil filter flange and the motor mounts will be the same and the mounting points to the 01A quattro trans will be the same as will the flywheel/clutch assy. the front motor mounts will also be the same since the oil pan from the 1.8t engine will fit the TDI ALH engine. the reason for using ALH is available and cheap compared to getting an engine from europe. The ALH can produce the same amount of power as the AFN and I am planning on making my own intaked and exhaust manifolds instead of trying to install some factory POS. There is plenty of room in the engine bay for a smaller eight valve engine and alot of the stuff to run the flybywire TDI motor will be the same as the flybywire AWM 1.8T engine. I would realy like to make a contact with some one in Europe that can help me with some of the parts that I cant get here, if there is any one reqading this that would like to help please drop me a line. I would like to get an engine harness from the european A4 TDI, this is not an absolute requirment but it would make things cleaner, also the aluminum mount for the diesel pump/power steering pump and alternator, the ALH motor has the A/C compresor mounted at the bottom of this stuff and the correct mounting bracket would look cleaner, once again this is not an absolute requirment since I could just cut the mounting points for the compressor of the ALH mount, but the factory bracket would look better. So after all this rambaling I realise the idea is crazy but the Audi is a very nice car with real all-wheel drive and comes in a wagon and the TDI parts can fit in it and then you would have an aerodynamic car with all of the amenaties that you would want, it just requires a little work and time.

fastvicar

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, Indian Red

While you're at it why don't you build two A4 Avant TDIs so I can have one?

Surely you can dig around the shop & find a right-side manifold from a 288 GTO lying around. I haven't tried it, but I'm certain it would bolt right up!

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

Don't forget that the gear ratios in the transmission are different for the TDI than for any engine which was available in that car here. $

The longitudinal installation of the TDI engine uses a different exhaust manifold and turbocharger. The one meant for transverse engines has stuff pointed in the wrong directions. $

Instrument cluster is different, too. And the ECU is different. $

It's all possible to do, since that car was available with a TDI in europe, it's only a matter of getting the right parts. $ $ $ $ $ ! ! !

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
David I think you're trying too hard with this thing. We need to do a mechanical pump, it will simplify things a great deal.

Think how cool it would be to install a mechanical inline p-pump! Very easy to hot-rod them. Maybe one can be adapted to this application, but then you're fabbing injector lines and mounts, if you can even get the pulley to fit up.

But for sure we can fit a mechanical VE pump, eliminate all that ECU crap. But then there's the instrument cluster, Hmmm.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta
Here's the man with the answers:

CWS Tuning (Cam Waugh)

If he can't tell you how to do it, then no one can.

Spike_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk II Golf
I have talked with my good friend Cam about this swap many times. The swap itself would not really be that hard. The cluster would take some work; the easy way to do the cluster would be to mount a Golf/Jetta cluster.
The biggest problem would be the tranny gear ratios. Using the trans from a 1.8T on a TDI is no fun. Cam can vouch for that. The first trans in the A2 Jetta swap was from a TT. The TDI almost came out for the Northstar because the car was no fun to drive. You have to shift way to much. Lucky RPI had a 6-speed TDI tranny. I'm not sure the available gear ratios for the Quattro tranny but it would be the first thing I'd look at if I was going to do the swap.

dino246

TDI
91 gtdi
I found a web sight that has alot of stuff on the 01E trans which is way stronger than the 01A trans but I would rather not change the trans just the ratios, now the ratios that this sight has for the TDI's are as follows 1.9l(3.50 1.89 1.32 .93 .73 .58 4.11 R/P) and for the 2.5l v6 TDI (3.75 2.05 1.32 1.03 .71 .56 3.88 R/P) now the good thing is that the R/P ratios are the same as the US cars nothing suprising there, unlike the transverse cars that have special R/P ratios. the only problem would be the fifth gear in the 01A.

Kerma I did think about the mechanical pump for about 2 seconds and then the thought was lost and I cant find it any more. If I am going to go throught the mess of this kind of conversion I would do it the best way first and if that cant be done then I will try something esle, but thanks for thinking about me Kerma. This is not a project that will happen over night I feel a time schedule of one year to one and a half years is enough to do this the right way, one can not try to consider the money required since any kind of project can go crazy and since I could not buy one for cheaper (since none were sold here) then I can justify the expence over the 1-1.5 years of say 15000 US to do it the right way. This includes the fabrication of an exhaust, and intake manifold and a proper intercooler, I am hoping for around 175hp, I think this is with in a reasonable scope of reality.

pdxgrease

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Re: ALH 1.9l TDI into a US Audi A4 avant quattro i

Wouldn't it be easier to import a half-cut of an A4 tdi from europe that has an engine / wireing harness and all the jazz. Seems within your budget - in fact there are no laws about importing a whole car from europe if it been disassembled and crated. Seems like you could buy some a4 that been been totalled in the rear with engine intact and take er' apart put the partsin a crate and you are good to go. Even if some of a couple of the parts are unusable you'd have all the part numbers, etc. Just a thought because I've been mulling over this very thing a4 avant tdi.
The other more shady approach would be to buy a totalled a4 here and import an a4 from europe under the one year demo clauze and then switch VIN's. That's a little more gangster but hey if you know some russians...

dino246

TDI
91 gtdi

pdxgrease I like your idea I am trying to make some kind of contact with some one to do just such a thing I will keep you informed

dino246

TDI
91 gtdi

That would be nice but since the dollar is so weak that 12k euro would be way too pricy for me. but thanks for the thought

P-car

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta

Do you have to pass emissions. That would be a real problem in MA. I would love to do that conversion.
Dean

indysoto

Veteran Member
That would be nice but since the dollar is so weak that 12k euro would be way too pricy for me. but thanks for the thought
Hey all u had to do was be patient and wait a couple years for the euro to tank ;)... I was looking to see if I could find what model the audi-suv's that employed the 1.9 tdi in the USA were...Saw a fleet of them in Monterrey a couple years back(6 maybe?)... I think they were loaners to car show entrants, have not seen any since. I believe back then they were being marketed as eco or green diesel? I really want this engine in a minivan or suv...