Problems shifting into third - 02Q

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
If I'm shifting somewhat quickly, or I shift when I'm revved relatively high in second, I have problems getting the shifter into gear. Someone told me it could be the transmission or my gear oil, but I'm not too sure, as this happened on two different transmissions (I swapped transmissions, because I installed a stronger clutch and a Peloquin LSD, and I used a spare 02Q to accomplish the LSD portion).

I know I should take any advice from the facebook group with a grain of salt (or half a grain), but several suggested something like this. Wanted to see if anyone else has done this or not.

I noticed also the problem is more prevalent when the car/engine compartment is cold.

first link

second linkl

The only other thing I can think of is stainless shifter forks, but I would only notice that if I broke the brass riveted fork, right?

Racerman27410

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI 6MT
did you by chance install a single mass flywheel when you did the clutch? I found out the hard way that the 3rd gear synchro is a weak point in this transmission and does NOT like a single mass flywheel.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
HELL NO. I used a Sachs DMF racing clutch from darkside developments. I did my research and decided I wouldn't do the SMF route on the 02Q, and only darkside had the clutch I wanted, at the price I wanted (it's good for 409 lb ft).