third Brake light Failing

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
So on my 2015 A3 TDI the 3rd brake light does not come on. I took it off and bench tested it, it is fine. I am about to go out and double check that 12v is going to the connector but not sure if that is going to work. I will scan with VCDS shortly too. Is there fuse I can check? Any other ideas? Everything else is working properly.

Last edited:

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
Scanned and got the following which is no surprise.

11274 - Bulb for Center Brake Light
B12C6 15 [009] - Open or Short to Plus

Other places on the internet suggest loose solder on the light. This is not the case as I benched tested it again, and works perfectly, all diodes on bright.

I cleared all faults and will drive on monday to see what comes back.

I am inclined to just let it go for now. Anyone have schematics?

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
Well...i haven't figured out what is wrong. I tried to measure the voltage out of the cable connector but had difficulties. The fault comes on immediately. If I figure out anything else I will update. I was hoping it was a loose solder like many people on the internet suggest. The cheapest I can find the light right now is $150 CAD.

paperthin

Veteran Member
TDI
15 A3 TDI
Reviving old thread. I drove around for the year with this error. Today I finally decided to hook up a voltmeter. So i took the light off, put two needle into the connector and hooked up my voltmeter. BTW the connector looks fine from the outside. Went to the front and mimic start up to watch the numbers, I was hoping for a 12v spike at least initially but I did not get that, all i got was a 0.5V reading. Anyone got any ideas.