Buyback Lessons Learned

vinny6737TDI

TDI
13PassatTDI HighLine
My 2014 Jetta TDI has 149,000kms

I am planning to keep my 2011 Golf. I do not want the modification/s to make it "better". Is anyone else planning to keep theirs? If so do you think any parts will be available? Do you think they will force us to give them up? The dealer called me a "5%er" Not real happy with them either. I just want a TDI I can drive and find parts for like my A4 ALH.
I thought of keeping my TDI because I was getting fantastic mileage(58MPG-HWY) or close to 1400kms per 59L tank. Then I figured, if I can get a newer TDI by 1 or 2 years with lesser mileage and come away with out a car loan(straight Swap), I might consider that. Just my thoughts...

whopper

TDI
2010 Golf Deletes and Malone tune , 2015 GSW TDI
Thanks GoFaster

I read through that thread you sent and you seem very positive it will not affect the buyback with trade...

The thread is not supper clear on that point lol

But you are from the GTA and I will trust ya. Did you return car with delete? or any close friends?

Thanks again

John

questman

TDI
2010 Golf TDI United Grey DSG (buyback June 15,2017), replaced by 2017 Golf TSI
I read through that thread you sent and you seem very positive it will not affect the buyback with trade...
The thread is not supper clear on that point lol
But you are from the GTA and I will trust ya.
I would trust him as he is the moderator, or maybe he owes you supper, or a lunch if he's wrong.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q5 Prestige TDI, Monsoon Gray
Yes. It's not an issue as long as the car runs. And it has been discussed approximately 1500 times before. (Look around a bit. Search, maybe ...)
...and this isn't supposed to be a discussion thread, it's supposed to be a lessons learned/tips thread.

tungsten c

TDI
gulf 2012
I have a 2012 DTI Gulf with 120000 miles and counting, buy back is $3,200 dollars the fix is $5,100 (there will never be one :) )

Not much to learn here :) run it till it drops

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
I have a 2012 DTI Gulf with 120000 miles and counting, buy back is $3,200 dollars the fix is $5,100 (there will never be one :) )

Not much to learn here :) run it till it drops
Those numbers are completely wrong... I turned in a 2012 Golf with 169,000 miles in February and got almost $18,000...

Use the calculator posted earlier in this thread to determine the correct numbers for buyback.

lawnarjax

TDI
2015 GSW TDI SEL, 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD, 1994 Safari Trek (Isuzu 4BD2TC)
Don't waste time looking for an appointment within 2 weeks of the final offer, apparently the process builds in a mandatory 2 week period according to a nice lady at VW claims.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Don't waste time looking for an appointment within 2 weeks of the final offer, apparently the process builds in a mandatory 2 week period according to a nice lady at VW claims.
That explains the limited available dates offered. BTW, taking our 13 SEL in a week from today for the buyback. Already picked up a 15 SEL with the lease discount to be paid off with the buyback check. Love the 15 and consider it much evolved from the 13 and love the EA288 engine with it's almost nonexistent turbo lag.

surfstar

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Golf & Passat - sold | 2016 GSW TSI
Regarding operability: my Passat buyback was simply started and the agent rev'd the engine in Park and took a photo of it around 3k rpms. Never moved the car while we were there.
Clean car, with no damage though.

cbens

TDI
Touareg
Buyback

Thanks so much for your advice on the buyback appointment. you had some really good reminders in there.
I was also wondering if anyone received their final offer papers with one buyback amount and then a 2nd email confirming the appointment date that had an increased buyback offer in it? nothing to do with mileage either just 2 different buyback quotes.

JHawk88

TDI
2013 VW Golf
Adjustments...

I keep reading adjustments are only based on the mileage.

So, quick question: If I were to keep my spare tire and jack... no price adjustment?

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
So, quick question: If I were to keep my spare tire and jack... no price adjustment?
There is no price adjustment for condition or equipment (other than the specific options listed in the tables). There is only the decision of whether to accept the car or not. If your buyback rep is especially anal, they might refuse to take your car at all.

TDIforDays

Veteran Member
TDI
few of each 2.0 and 3.0
I keep reading adjustments are only based on the mileage.

I took it out of every car I turned. I took tire infiltrators and cargo covers from Q7s as well... And only 1 key for most cars. No one cares

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL 2012 Passat SEL
Don't do the buyback without getting the check at the dealership!!! I turned my car in 10 February 2017. NO MONEY to me yet. I have worked for 7 weeks with VW counsel and still nothing but a run around.

DanB36

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm sorry that you've had trouble getting your payment, but your experience is not representative of the tens of thousands of people who've received EFT payments without issues.

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
Dan Thanks I did get the eft for 1 car but not the second. And I have read many horror stories right here. So it is plenty common.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
1gunther1

Question please

Was there any issues(or differences) between car number 1 and car number 2 ? ~~ besides one was a *check* and the other was a etf ?

Did VW give you any reason why they are not paying on car number 2 ?

Anyway best of luck for you.

1gunther1

Veteran Member
TDI
No difference between either car or what was requested when turned in at the same time. The bank is pointing the finger at vw and vw is pointing the finger at the bank. But the bank has show me the cancelled check sent to VW and a copy of the title that they sent vw. All I know is VW has the car cash and title. After working with vw counsel for 7 weeks now I'm very frustrated at the lack of concern from vw.

VW has provided ZERO reason other than they are still researching the issue.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
No difference between either car or what was requested when turned in at the same time.

The bank is pointing the finger at vw and vw is pointing the finger at the bank.

But the bank has shown me the cancelled check sent to VW and a copy of the title that they sent vw.

All I know is VW has the car cash and title. After working with vw counsel for 7 weeks now I'm very frustrated at the lack of concern from vw.

VW has provided ZERO reason other than they are still researching the issue.
I have not a clue where you should-can go from here.

Just wishing you all the best of luck

The cancelled check is weird

As I will be doing the *fix* and prefer the check (because I want to make a COPY of it as a keepsake).:p

This scares the bejebbies out of me. At the last minute (if I can not get the check in hand at *fix* time I might just go etf :mad:

Last edited:

scaffolder

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6spd
I am in the process of doing the buyback. I tried to send everything online and failed. Now I am in the process of sending it all through the mail.
I believe I saw specific instructions for sending via mail or fax that stated to write your Name and reference number on all pages, but don't want to do that unless I verify that is the correct way.
I have tried to look it up through the Portal, but can''t seem to find anything, and You can't just scroll back through the agreement.
Thanks for any info from anyone that has already sent their paperwork through the mail.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I would put that file/reference number - which identifies YOU - on every page.

But then again I sweat things like that!!

best, ez................

scaffolder

TDI
2013 Passat SE 6spd
I would put that file/reference number - which identifies YOU - on every page.

But then again I sweat things like that!!

best, ez................
That is what I am thinking. Just wondering what was done by others.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
I scheduled my backpack appointment via the claims portal just now.

I may have misread the current mileage instructions.........in that I went into my garage and entered todays odometer reading.

Did I screw-up? Should I have entered my ESTIMATED odometer reading at the time of my 29 August buyback appointment.

Thanks to all who participate in this highly useful site!

ez sends