2004 Golf PD Cam Position Sensor--URGENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jayres

TDI
2004 golf
I have a G40 Vagcom code, P3007-000, which shows No Signal to the Camshaft Position Sensor. For the life of me I cannot locate where that sensor is---there is nothing at the camshaft wheel. Can anyone show me where this sensor is located on this BEW engine? Car starts and runs well, poor mileage. However, even though it starts, it takes many revolutions before it fires, but it fires and runs every time.
This code is combined with 2 V157 codes, 19557 and 19559, Motor for Intake Manifold Flap Open or Shorted and Motor for Intake Manifold Malfunction.
My assumption is that it is worthless to try and tshoot that problem without first fixing the CPM problem. Any other ideas?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
On the timing belt end of the engine, right on the head, next to the sprocket. The wire goes down across the front of the block to a gray connector near the CKP sensor connector.

jayres

TDI
2004 golf
Sensor

Thanks for the info, oilhammer! I found the wire immediately. However, I cannot see the actual sensor or where it sits so that is still a visual mystery.
I can follow the wire, which is a single grey wire, over to a connector that sits about mid-block on the engine and it sits above another connector that must be coming from the crank sensor. Since I cannot easily get to the sensor---in fact it looks like a monumental job to get to it---I will check the connections. The Vagcom code shows No Signal, so any ideas on how to tshoot that one? Also, after the connector on the side of the block, do you know where the wire ends up so that I can check connectivity at least? Many thanks for the help---:)

oilhammer

TDI
If you pull the upper timing belt cover off, you'll see it... can't miss it.

I do not know which pins it goes to on the ECU without looking at the wiring diagram.

jayres

TDI
2004 golf
2004 Pumpe Deusse

OK---so a quick question here, where do they hide the ECU and where can I get a diagram of the pinouts? I need to at least check continuity from the CPS connector to the ECU. Thanks again for your help.

oilhammer

TDI
I guess he no longer wants my help

This is the PM I got:

"For the sake of decency I am sending you this reply privately:
oilhammer: This is now my 47th year in machine work and auto repair. If you do not want to share your knowledge openly and freely to help people, then don't reply. Withholding information and telling someone to "go buy the manual" makes you look like a smart*** and is not helpful to the growth of good knowledge within this TDI community. You do not know my circumstances well enough to tell me to go buy a manual and there is nothing stated anywhere within this Forum that tells anyone that they must go buy a manual instead of asking questions to the community"

Someone that joined May of this year, and thinks I withold information... laughable I know.

Just for the record, I have probably shared more information openly on this forum in the NINE YEARS I have been here than most anyone else, and am one of the few professional auto techs that frequent these pages.

Good luck! :cool:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
And you'd expect it to be? This isn't a courtroom.

And the questions he asked can be found with a search or just by looking around the car. Frankly, some people while VERY qualified shouldn't be working on certain cars. Or at LEAST without a manual.

TDINJ

Veteran Member
TDI
No longer own one.
See this thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=275865
I had the same problem. You can test the sensor pins and the harness pins (where they connect in the middle of the block on a retaining clip) with an OHM meter. I never really got around to doing it, but I had the same symptoms as you, namely hard starting.

I put a new sensor in and nothing changed. Your problem is likely a bad wire, chaffed or broken somewhere between the harness connector going in the wire loom somewhere down around the starter going under the battery and up toward the ecu.

I took my car in to a shop I use and they repaired one of the three wires that was damaged. The problem wire was damaged halfway between the sensor connector and the car battery. Problem fixed.

CoolAirVw

Vendor
TDI
Jetta
oilhammer said:
This is the PM I got:

oilhammer: This is now my 47th year in machine work and auto repair. If you do not want to share your knowledge openly and freely to help people, then don't reply. Withholding information and telling someone to "go buy the manual" makes you look like a smart*** and is not helpful to the growth of good knowledge within this TDI community. You do not know my circumstances well enough to tell me to go buy a manual and there is nothing stated anywhere within this Forum that tells anyone that they must go buy a manual instead of asking questions to the community"

Someone that joined May of this year, and thinks I withold information... laughable I know.

Just for the record, I have probably shared more information openly on this forum in the NINE YEARS I have been here than most anyone else, and am one of the few professional auto techs that frequent these pages.

I had a very similar nasty reply from someone else once. This was after I had allready answered many questions in 8 different PM's. When it finally got to "you need a wire schematic from a Bentley manual" he said, "I would expect this from a dealer tech but not from you!".

Needless to say I called him and gave him a peice of my mind, since he had asked me to call him in one of his many, mindless, messages.

Obviously there forums are here to share info, but not for a select few to do all the legwork. A individual posting a question, wanting to work on the car themself, should at least have done their homework, and own the basic stuff a guy has to have.... STARTING with the bentley shop manual for their car.

Obviously Jayres forgot that oilhammer led him right to the sensor! Very unappreciative.

fnjimmy!

Chucklechump
TDI
TDIdiot
oilhammer said:

"Just for the record, I have probably shared more information openly on this forum in the NINE YEARS I have been here than most anyone else, and am one of the few professional auto techs that frequent these pages."

How has he shared information for "NINE YEARS" when his join date is May 2010? Multiple accounts?

If only people were as passionate about having the proper equipment for the job as they are about crying "victim" when they don't get their way.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
oilhammer said:
This is the PM I got:

Sigh, all aboard!

The Bentley Manual is a fantastic resource, especially when used in conjunction with this site. What is shocking is his claim of 47 years of machine work and auto experience and his utter unwillingness to lift a book (despite admitting the lack of basic knowledge of these cars). Arrogance and Pride are not the skills of an experienced and competent mechanic.

Last edited:

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
fnjimmy! said:
How has he shared information for "NINE YEARS" when his join date is May 2010? Multiple accounts?

If only people were as passionate about having the proper equipment for the job as they are about crying "victim" when they don't get their way.
You missed the quote marks. That was O.H. saying he's been here. FWIW I read it twice too.

Status
Not open for further replies.