Touareg or Cayenne or Q5

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Hahaha no issues. Just trying to help where I can. I'm newer to the VAG scene / mod scene.... but We have modified a 2011 WRX Hatchback w/ a TON of mods ( Built Motor - Stage 1 IAG Shortblock -- forged pistons / special piston rings, upgraded factory crank, fully rebuilt heads, killerB oil pickup, Coolant bypass for cyl 4 to allow more cooling, IAG Air oil seperator, Tuned Currently 292 WHP / 302 WTQ on 93 oct ( 3200lbs car ).... Upgraded front / rear sway bar and endlinks, new factory shocks / springs, Cobb Tuning Full Exhaust Downpipe to mufflers, turbo blanket and cobb upgraded fuel pump.... We are
currently dynomatting the entire car, and saving up to upgrade the turbo to blousch dominator 1.5x, ID 1050 injectors, Grimspeed upgraded TMIC / Charge pipe .... dyno turn says it should be around 350WHP / 360 WTQ w/ these mods. )

I'm waiting for the new AEM-C emissions fix ( New DPF, NOC, and O2 sensor ) before i continue to mod mine. I was noticing mine was pulling timing w/ the stage 2 w/ dpf, i looked in the temps were a bit high w/ it 95 out... so I talked to my tuner and they suggested to upgrade the intercooler....

I've rambled enough. If you have anymore questions about the Q, I'll answer what i can....

Also clubtaureg has some great info on the T-regs https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/diesel-engines-r5-v6-v8-v10-r50-tdi.93/ ... I'm on there as well. For those a few people have TCM tunes already as well.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Hahaha no issues. Just trying to help where I can. I'm newer to the VAG scene / mod scene.... but We have modified a 2011 WRX Hatchback w/ a TON of mods ( Built Motor - Stage 1 IAG Shortblock -- forged pistons / special piston rings, upgraded factory crank, fully rebuilt heads, killerB oil pickup, Coolant bypass for cyl 4 to allow more cooling, IAG Air oil seperator, Tuned Currently 292 WHP / 302 WTQ on 93 oct ( 3200lbs car ).... Upgraded front / rear sway bar and endlinks, new factory shocks / springs, Cobb Tuning Full Exhaust Downpipe to mufflers, turbo blanket and cobb upgraded fuel pump.... We are
currently dynomatting the entire car, and saving up to upgrade the turbo to blousch dominator 1.5x, ID 1050 injectors, Grimspeed upgraded TMIC / Charge pipe .... dyno turn says it should be around 350WHP / 360 WTQ w/ these mods. )
I'm waiting for the new AEM-C emissions fix ( New DPF, NOC, and O2 sensor ) before i continue to mod mine. I was noticing mine was pulling timing w/ the stage 2 w/ dpf, i looked in the temps were a bit high w/ it 95 out... so I talked to my tuner and they suggested to upgrade the intercooler....
I've rambled enough. If you have anymore questions about the Q, I'll answer what i can....
Also clubtaureg has some great info on the T-regs https://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/diesel-engines-r5-v6-v8-v10-r50-tdi.93/ ... I'm on there as well. For those a few people have TCM tunes already as well.
Fix or tune one thing many times leads to other upgrades that were either not thought of or wishful thinking that they would not be needed to be upgraded.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Well I finally got to test drive a Q5 TDI.
It was a 2014 and very dirty and not detailed at all. It was at some small used car lot.
It had just over 81k and I wasn't expecting much given the outside & inside looks of the vehicle.

Up too this point in TDI SUV vehicle searching I had only driven the Touareg & Cayenne with the TDI engine, so I had only read from the forums that the Q5 TDI was quite a bit more lively than it's bigger & heavier cousins.
I was pleasantly surprised even though it had somewhat higher mileage that it was extremely quiet and refined.
This has had almost all of that mileage as a commuter car.

It surprised me at how quick the TDI makes this heavy vehicle scoot right along.

This test drive has definitely made me lean towards getting a Q5 TDI over one of it's larger cousins......but I'm not opposed to a Touareg or Cayenne either.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Daemon64

Veteran Member
TDI
2022 Polestar 2 BEV - Current, 2021 Q5 55e PHEV - Retired, 2015 Q5 3.0 TDI - Retired, 2013 Golf TDI - Retired
Hey Earl,

Yeah, I'd agree w/ the refined and quiet part and that even though you know it can be quick, it def surprises me at times, be cruising along, need to do a passing menuever and it just keeps pulling, all the way to 100 MPH w/o any real fade at all ( didn't realize I'd hit that fast as a was merging on to a fast moving highway until it yelled at me for going over 95... hahaha ). Its a complete beast in that regards.... glad you liked it.

EARL97850

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Before I was able to test drive a Q5 TDI almost all the Q5's I was able to find were a long ways away from me....now those same Q5's seems a lot closer and within reach once I find the right one. LOL