Busted Oil Pan? Car Shut off during use, leaking oil badly!

TDI
VW 2004 Jetta TDI GLS
Hello all,
I am new to this forum and only slightly experienced as a mechanic as I normally service Supersport bikes and not cars. On one occasion about a week ago my mother lent me her 2004 Jetta TDI VW to head up to the college and then come back. I never hit any thing to screw up the bottom of the car however on my way down the car gave me horrible response in power, the RPM meter would never go above 2K RPM even with the gas pedal down to the floor. I didn't realize what the problem was until the oil light lit up and the car shut itself off only seconds later after it giving me no power (and i had already pulled over). I looked under the car and found that the plastic skid plate looks absolutely shredded. However I didn't think to much of it and thought perhaps it was just that the car is low on oil. After filling it with oil I looked at the torn skid plate and the oil was just pouring out of the hole. I have no idea what could have caused that. I want to get to the oil pan however I have no idea of how to go about doing it. Also is this even worth doing as I know some cars are almost impossibly to get to the oil pan (friend's Dodge Omni had to have its suspension removed).

If anyone could help me out I would be very grateful as taking it to a shop would be my last resort due to it absolutely destroying my funds however I will do it if there is no other way.

-Jon

Pics supplied below:

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Jon-
There are plenty of examples where the cast aluminum oil pan cracked due to impact. Many here use a skid plate to protect their pans and it is highly recommended. But that doesn't help you now, I'm afraid.

I don't believe you need to take drastic measures to replace the pan, but you will need a special sealant and you need to have very clean surfaces before using it.

I hope the engine didn't seize. Can you turn it via the crank bolt? How did the car get home after the incident?

TDI
VW 2004 Jetta TDI GLS
I had AAA tow it home. Wow I hope it didn't Seize! The car will not turn over. It just makes a "click" in the engine and the lights dim then I just stop trying (thats with the key). I can get the surface clean no problem I'm used to working with that kind of situation and can you give me some info on this special sealant you speak of?

Thank you so much for the fast reply!

-Jon

EDIT: that was with the key

Last edited:

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Wow I hope it didn't Seize!
Well...

The car will not turn over. It just makes a "click" in the engine and the lights dim then I just stop trying.
It seized.

If I were you, I'd look for a complete engine with turbo, because most likely, the entire engine is damaged, and the turbo, from a lack of lubrication.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
I edited my post... like I said, you're probably looking at a complete engine. You MIGHT be able to do a total rebuild on this one, depending on the extent of the damage, but a whole engine may well be cheaper.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
...The car will not turn over. It just makes a "click" in the engine and the lights dim then I just stop trying...
Sounds liked its seized :(. Catastrophic failure. You will almost certainly need a replacement engine.

Can you get the vehicle to user Harvieux? He is in Whittier, CA (I think). He would be best equipped to diagnose your situation and give you best alternatives.

Sorry for your misfortune.

To anyone else reading this, please get yourself a real skid plate if you haven't already.

puter

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I would get ahold of bleachedbora to see if he can get you an engine.

I just checked his site and could only find ALH full engines, so he may have to find one for your PD.

TDI
VW 2004 Jetta TDI GLS
@ everyone - thanks for the fast diagnosis. =-(

@tditom - I could possibly get it there. Depends how much towing service is and whether it would be worth it or not if I'm looking for a completely new engine. This is worse than I ever thought although I had something in the back of my mind telling me this was bad.

-Jon

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
You should ask your mom if she hit anything AT ALL that might have punctured the oil pan as your insurance might cover the cost of a new engine. It may have been leaking slowly for a period of time...

Re-examine your own trip, are you sure you didn't hit anything??

Bill

TDI
VW 2004 Jetta TDI GLS
I did stop at Albertsons and accidentally parked up the curb a tad and immediately backed off.

Insurance might cover this? That would be a godsend. Also I am insured for that car if that matters much.

@tditom - thanks man.

-Jon

bhtooefr

TDI
None
It's almost always better to fix an existing car than replace it, even for a failure of this magnitude, financially.

038100043QX is the part number for a rebuilt longblock from VW. List price is $4619.99, plus a $2000 core charge, according to World Impex. (Actual price may differ, Impex's price is $3947.99, 1stVWParts is $3843.00.)

You'll also need a turbocharger, $999 at IDParts: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=1332

Last edited:

chudzikb

Veteran Member
TDI
05.5 Jetta 03 Golf 2 door
That's a bad day for you. I really have to get those skid plates and then actually install them, sounds like good insurance.

bhtooefr

TDI
None
It certainly doesn't hurt to upgrade the turbo while you're replacing it - the break something, hop it up school of thought. However, if you're happy with stock power, there's not much point.

Of course, you could also upgrade the whole engine, although I don't see any ARL (150 hp stock) engines on Scott DeWitt's site right now. (Those engines were never sold here.)

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
PD engine?

-Jon
Pumpe Duese. It's a unit injector design as opposed to an injection pump (IP) or common rail (CR) diesel.

I've improvised an engine hoist using lumber and a come-along hung from my garage roof trusses.

TDI
VW 2004 Jetta TDI GLS
LOL! Nice. I have like no confidence disconnecting all of the wires and hoses from the car and pulling the engine out. Or is it not that scary. I remember taking my 240z's engine out was a nightmare. Could be wrong for newer cars.

Thanks guys
-Jon

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon

bhtooefr

TDI
None
That works if you do the drop-it-out-the-bottom technique, which if you remove the front crossmember, you can then slide the engine out the front.