New ticking noise at idle when engine is warm

Sig Dawg

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
My 2005 Passat TDI recently started ticking at idle when the engine is warm. It sounds the same as before when the engine is cold, it only ticks at idle when warm, if i rev it up to even 1100 rpm the ticking goes away. It sounds like a lifter to me but i'm not sure. Could this just be low oil pressure at idle? It sounds perfectly normal under all other conditions and behaves the same as before, just this annoying tick at idle. The car only had 14,000 k on it. Started after driving through a blizzard.

Is this something to worry about, should I take it in to get it looked at or wait to see if it goes away?

Thanks for any information.

Sig Dawg

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Yup, oil was good. Is it possible for the mechanism on the hydraulic lifters that holds pressure to move which would allow for the oil to drain out of the lifter? It's been a number of years since i've torn into any engine, but I remember, at least I think I remember that on some gassers anyways the lifters can get aligned in such a way that they are able to drain. I'm almost sure it is nothing to worry about because it goes away with RPM, and the engine runs good, I just wanted to tap into the vast knowledge here at TDI club. I tried to search around in the forums but most other problems are when the engine is cold, not warm. I'll see how it works on the way home tonight and hopefully it will go away.

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2005, Shadow Blue
Hello Sig Dawg

Please let the dealership know (Taylor Volkswagen) that you are experienceing problems so they have it on record incase something bigger happens. :(

The only other thing that I can suggest is to start using MBTI (http://www.milliganbiotech.com) fuel conditioner to quieten the sound of the motor. You will notice a difference within 125 Km of your first 50/ml use.

I pick mine up either directly in Foam Lake or at Westward Parts ($18.03/L with Tax). 1 liter is good for 1000 liters of fuel.

Sig Dawg

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Thanks PapaBare.

I already use the Milligan additive, and could notice the difference quickly(started using before this new noise). This new sound started to happen after driving from Saskatoon to Regina on Jan 15 that bad stormy icy day. It has stopped when the car is warm or cold and on level ground, but it seems to be noticable when the car is stopped on a slope with the passenger side higher than the driver side. I checked underneath to see if any panels were loosened off, and just rattling with the engine vibes but I could not see anything. It does sound like a metallic engine ticking though which is why I am concerned, The sound is hard to track down as to where exactly it is. I will let them (Taylors) know of the sound just so they are aware of it.

BTW most of the US members say their dealerships are not good to deal with. I have not had any issues with Taylors, they seem very helpful. Have you had any issues?

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
Hello Sig Dawg

In all honesty, they don't like it when I come in with the proper error codes (Vag-Com) but they have been very helpful when ever they do any work on the car.

I do purchase my 505.01 oil from them but do my own oil changes.

If you do get a chance to talk to the techs Don or John, they can be very helpful and do seem to care.

PS I see that Princess Auto is now selling 7L oil extractors. :)

Sig Dawg

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Thanks for the info. I still have them do my oil changes, but that will change soon, when I pick up an oil extractor from Princess Auto. Next time I'm in Regina I'll stop by at Taylors and hopefully the noise will be there so they can hear it, it is quite intermittent now.

I can spend hours in Princess auto that place is a mecca for what ever you need:)

PapaBare

Veteran Member
TDI
I know what you mean about stoping in at Princess Auto. ;)

My wife is now starting to know where things are so she heads directly to that department so that the stay is shorter. :( or she goes and sits down to wait for me.

Here's a challenge to all those out there! Go into Princess Auto, walk and look around the place and try to leave without buying something!! Kind of like the "I bet you can't eat only one"

Sig Dawg

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
I drop the wife off at Home Outfitters, Michaels, etc its like her Princess Auto she could spend hours there so I can browse in peace.:D The only downfall is that she usually spends more than me so my passat mods have to wait:rolleyes: :mad: . Oh well I'm still waiting for a few more miles to go buy on the warranty, before doing anything to the car.

Have you tried that BioArmor stuff in your car instead of the Milligan? I think they are basically the same except the BioArmor has a warning on it not to let rags soaked in the stuff to sit in a pile as they can spontaneously combust:eek: .

Griffen_01

Milligan additive

Hi Papabear
I am curious to know what the comparison is between this additive and Stanadyne performance and is there an anti gel compound in it. I am quite interested in this product and was wondering how long you have used it.

Griffen

Sig Dawg

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat
Griffen,

I'm not sure how it compares to the Stanadyne directly, but it is mainly a lubricity agent. I have used it for about 4000 km, and I noticed an increase in mileage, and the engine did seem to run smoother (tough to tell because my engine was still breaking in). I think it is supposed to be a cetane booster as well. I don't think it has any antigel component to it, I think the cloud point is just below zero. I have mixed it with Kleenflow antigel and it seems to work, not that we have had a cold winter though.