View Single Post
Old April 9th, 2019, 03:45   #308
ranger pete

TDI(s): 2011 JSW 6MT

Good to see that VW hasn't thrown in the towel on Diesels.

I think mild hybrids will become the default for all manufacturers soon. I would prefer to see the starter generator be integrated with the flywheel, ala the original Honda Insight. This vehicle, with a properly driven manual transmission, still beats the pants off anything, anyone else has come up with in the nearly 20 years since.

That vehicle had one drawback. No EV only mode. The second gen insight had an EV only cruise mode, where under certain conditions it would shut down the fuel system and close all the valves. It was full cylinder deactivation. But it was still not as efficient as other hybrid systems and could not be used in stop and go traffic which is where other hybrids shine.

What I would really like to see is this type of system with a clutch between the engine and the motor/generator. This way you would have an efficient, low speed EV mode.

Another thought I had was something along the lines of what toyota is doing with the hybrid RAV4. Conventional ICE drivetrain up front, with a motor driving the rear. Use the rear for stop and go stuff as well as snow and drive it the rest of the time as a normal manual trans TDI.

I would love to see such a kit developed for existing TDIs.
ranger pete is online now   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.06336 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 15.12 Kb. compressed to 13.69 Kb. by saving 1.43 Kb. (9.46%)]