VW MFD Navigation System - Resource Thread

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
Oem Vw Mfd Navigation Systems

I'm trying to get a head count of the TDI folks who have sourced the OEM VW NAVI. I know some of you but would like an accurate list so we can share information on installation and any operational issues.

Sorta like a little support group. THIS IS NOT a How-to thead. It's intended to be a resource for those of us who have already installed the MFD Navigation System.

If you have new information to add or share, please post. Questions regarding installation will be moved to the ORIGINAL "how-to" thread, located HERE

Danix - MFD-G, FIS, TMC, fimware:2003, Phatbox,

BlueCTTDI

Chaseone - MFD-D

Coolwht - MFD-G, FIS, TMC, firmware:2003, Phatbox

Classen - MFD-G,

DCTDIwagon - MFD-G, FIS?, firmware:2003

Jettaproblems - MFD-D, FIS, firware:2003

JwaltersTDI - MFD-G, FIS, firware:2003

Mike Anderson MFD-D, FIS

Mako26 MFD-G, FIS, TMC,

NewJettaGuy - MFD-G, TMC, firmware:2003, Phatbox

Occams Razor - MFD-G, FIS, TMC, firmware 2003, Phatbox

Penclnck - MFD-G, FIS, TMC, firmware 2003, Phatbox

Pheller - MFD-G, FIS, TMC, firmware:2001, Phatbox, 3pmdev

RamonR - MFD-D, firmware:2002, Phatbox

SVTWEB - MFD-D, FIS, firmware:2002

Tyler Gee - MFD-Unit ?

Tongsli - MFD-D & G, FIS (two vehicles)TMC, firmware: 2000 & 2003, Phatbox

Tomo - MFD-G, firmware:2003, Phatbox

VWFlappie

Miscellaneous URL's

May, 2003 Passat RNS, DSP, telephone +cd changer PDF
Software Coding for MFD thread
General Cluster Coding from MFA thread
Fakra Connectors

Please add these to the first post:
Excellent Newbie guide by penclnk
Double DIN to MFD Navi upgrade

Last edited:

larrs

MFD Menus: 3+6 configuration

Guys....

I was wondering you could please look up the following information:

1.Turn on your NAVI
2. PRess the 3 + 6 buttons simultaneously
3.Look up the number after NAV HW= <font color="red"> it should either be 1001 or 1002 </font>

4. Press the right round button AKA the Enter button
5.Look up the number after STAMP: <font color="red">it's the second line </font> Please post the date you've got.

If you have the following then you have a G-unit

MCM SW 2322R/912C/
SH SW:0B16/0102
NAV SW : 381.13/967.07/NO ROM
NDB SW : 384.17/383.17/----
KONTRAST:48
NAV HW:1002/36416
PROJECT:VWZ_DYN 00KW14
STAMP /: MAR 22 2002/11:03:28
USER: FED 2HI/DEP:N
VER NAME:
MCM:00 KOPRO 00SH:00KOMBI:0000

thanks!

Lito

Regarding the VAG-COM, I think you need to run a K-Wire from over the the OBD connector. Read this:
K-wire

Did you set the coding on the Navi for your tire circumference and for 8 pulses? Try this, if you haven't already done it:

"Press the NAV button and access the system menu by pressing buttons 3 and 6 at the same time. When the version menu appears, press the Flag Destination button and wait for the calibration menu to appear.

"Set the Impulse to 8

"Set tire size according to this table:

175/80 R14 1940mm
185/55 R15 1785mm
195/65 R15 1935mm
205/45 R16 1800mm
205/55 R16 1930mm
205/50 R17 1945mm
225/45 R17 1930mm

"Or use the exact circumference of your tire, in millimeters.

"After the settings are complete, you need to drive for 10 miles to give the Navigation MFD enough time to finely calibrate itself for distance and speed. "

I don't know about your window.

Where did you connect the wire for switched power (the red one)? If you connected it to the headlights, that's why the unit powers off with the ignition. Mine does the same thing.

penclnck

Combined Penclnck Threads

For those who went from double DIN to Navi and need the CD adaptor cable, I've got all my parts in and will be able to ship the first lot of them out by Thursday (hopefully).

CD changer adaptor and GPS cable

Also, after never being able to find anyone to sell me the GPS cable, I've made my own. I'm getting 8 satellites, I think one of them is the Satellite of Love.

FWIW, I purchased that TMC, hopefully I'll be able figure it all out and make it work. If so, expect full details.

The silver box in front of the clutch pedal, that is the TMC box. Slapped it in place with electrical tape (nice). The CAN BUS wires are tapped using IDT (scotch locks... junk). I'll be going back and doing the job right with a custom bracket for the box and criming my wires in place.

And here is the pudding of proof my friends:

I'm atta here... off to the drive in movies (guess how I'm going to find it).

Just put this up on the VWNavi.com site, figure it would go nicely here, ... will save space and post it as the URL:

http://4130-products.com/tdi/pigtail-adaptor.gif

Double DIN pigtail to Navi plug... what goes where... please inform me of any screw ups I made, or any suggestions.

Sleepy time folk....Zzzzzzz

Few quick pics of the TMC mounting bracket and it mounted in place. A friend of mine made the bracket for me. The mounting holes in the TMC are super tiny and I ended up having to tap them out a little to get the screws I had on hand to fit (not a big deal).

http://www.4130-products.com/tdi/tmc1.jpg

http://www.4130-products.com/tdi/tmc2.jpg

http://www.4130-products.com/tdi/tmc3.jpg

It is mounted just to the right of the steering colum, plenty of room there. This worked out a lot better than the electrical tape I was first usig to mount the TMC.

Side note... got me new wheels today:

http://www.4130-products.com/tdi/newwheel2.jpg

Got rid of the 15" fuglies for $300 while I was balancing the tires. Today has been a good day.

OK, snapped a pic of where to stuff the pigtail adaptor:

I also finally got around to hooking up the radio antenna today:

This is one of the cables that came with the TMC box I purchased. I cut off the end that would normally plug up to the button style single DIN antenna cable and crimped on the correct fitting for the double DIN lead. The silver plug goes the TMC.

And there is is plugged up to the double DIN antenna plug. So I've now got the radio antenna going though the TMC so if for some reason I end up moving to Europe, my car will be ready.
Sorry about the blurry pix.

blitzoid

Veteran Member
TDI
Blue '02 Golf GLS TDI
Ignition wire & S-contact Thread

Dan - the wire in question (to give you radio power as with old stereo) is in the steering column. I remember reading about it here a while back, when i installed the panasonic deck. (I found out after the install, so I never modified my switched power) If memory serves, the wire is brown/red stripe, but I would not trust my intuition alone. I'm going to hunt around vortex for a bit and see if i can find it. If i do, i'll post back here.

Also - that "key switched power" is NOT available at the radio. It's controlled through the CAN-BUS.

Good luck.

I actually remembered correctly! (who would have thunk it??!)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1504629

that's in the R32 forum, but the result is the same - brown wire/red stripe. Terminates in position #10 in the fuseblock, but can also be found under the steering column.

FROM OCCAM's Razor's Post:

The standard wiring for a 2003 Jetta, (no monsoon), is for Pin 14 of the DD connector, (the one that corresponds to the "power" plug wiring), to go to Pin 86S of the ignition switch which is a brown / red wire.

The Monsoon wiring harness differs in that Pin 14 of the DD goes to the Hood Alarm Switch, (which is also a brown / red wire).

Coincidence? I think not, (damn Germans are too efficient for that!)

Haven't quite figured out if it somehow has the same path, (eventually), as the standard wiring.

When I try my installation I will check current there with the key on and see what happens.

I would love to plug one more wire into the DD adapter, (Pin 14 for those who are keeping track), so I have one less wire to run
and have the benefit of the factory protection, (fuses already in place, etc.)!

Hoffer

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS, 2003, Black
I suspect the euro triplex will only work for GSM.
A lot of US companies are moving to GSM except Verizon Wireless, so it might be worth looking into.
GSM, TDMA, CDMA, PCS, etc. Doesn't necessarily matter. Frequency bands are what matter. Verizon generally uses the "cellular" bands in the US, appeox. 800-900 MHz range, and so did AT&T, for the most part. Sprint and everyone else use the various "PCS" bands, up there around 1.7 GHz or whatever. It's been a couple years since I was working as an RF engineer for Verizon's cellular network.

Anywho, I haven't kept up on it, but I don't think AT&T (or any of the others) got a new (i.e. outside of cellular or PCS) frequency band allotment, so the new GSM service I believe exist in the PCS and cellular bands.

As far as technology, AT&T had to switch because they chose TDMA (vs. CDMA) back in the day. Oops. Verizon and Sprint rolled out CDMA technologies (Verizon in the cellular band, Sprint in the PCS). Who knows what the future will hold. Japan I think it is likes their wideband CDMA stuff, and I'm guessing that what Verizon and Sprint will use as well. Everyone else like GSM. Who knows.

Oh, and then there's NexTel...

Also, I've got the triplex antenna, and if it's tuned to the bands listed above to 0 dB, it should work well with my existing car kit. If only I could find a damn WICLIC adaptor in order to make a "clean" install...

- hoffer

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
If you are talking about the TMC connector on the left of the navi, above the FM antenna, that already has a wire pigtailed off pin 3 on the black connector, so I think that's set.

I think I just need to figure out the source of my speedo problems. Is it possible that I have a bad cluster and the signal is coming from there, or more likely, that I have a bad speed sensor and the speedo is just doing its job and reporting the signal?

PTC

Veteran Member
TDI
HMaracic
The VW OEM navi supports both PAL & NTSC AFAIK (you should ask SVTWEB, he added TV tuner to his NAVI).
About the input for XM and DVD, if you maybe didn't notice on the pin-outs, NAVI's video connector is component (RGB, like a computer monitor), not composite (like RCA or S-Video). If you want to connect a composite video source without TV tuner, you need a composite -> component adapter like Dietz 1412 (notice that 1212 is for PAL only), price of the PAL only unit (1212) is over 130 EUR on german ebay.
But, if you get a TV tuner, you can connect your video sources normally if you get a harness (TV-tuner also serves as signal converter from composite to component), you can make one yourself or buy one like Dietz 1230

vwtdi04

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
I have installed roof antenna (GPS/Radio) from MKV which is the same on Audi A4, and new A3 in europe, I run to problem with making an adapter for radio antenna, it is hard to find connectors that will fit to existing connectors, I had to do complete makeover from new connectors which works fine for now, the radio reception from small antenna is preety good, GPS works well too...

penclnck

How about adding a connector right where the wires exit the radio cubby instead so you can disconnect the plug instead of having to pull wires back through when you have to take out the NAVI?
BEHOLD!!!!

Ohhhhh.... ahhhhhh.

I've put in a 4 pin plug for the wires that will be spliced into the car's main harness (Gala, s-contact, K-line, dash lights). This also made it easier for me to split the s-contact and Gala lines nicely. If the Navi is removed from the car, installed wires will remain. I got the plug from Radio Shack.

Prewired TMC in there as well. Power from the s-contact. Both sets of CAN BUS lines are twisted pairs of wire, very twisted pair (I used a drill to make them). Doing this helps keep the signals running about the lines clean.

It isn't really complete, I don't have the terminals for the 26 pin plug just yet. Once I do that, it will be ready.

I've got one more ace up my sleeve for this as well... once the part shows up....

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS 1.8t, 2003, Platinum Gray
FYI, I burned the input 12V+ fuse in my TMC when I first tried installing it.

The digikey p/n is WK4450K-ND -- $0.67 each.

Also, TMC should be connected to 12v constant. The Navi will put it to sleep after a short time.

penclnck

Please add these to the first post:

http://4130-products.com/gps/newbinavi.html
http://4130-products.com/gps/pigtail-adaptor.gif

The first is the for those new to the Navi scene. The second is the pin out info when going from a double DIN to Navi upgrade.

Also, I am not making wiring harness adapters and kits at this time. I will be making a batch of 10 kits in the future (got most of the parts on hand), but it take like 3.5 hours per kit to make and test... I just don't have as much free time as I use to.

danix

Veteran Member
TDI
None now. Former: 2011 335d, 2010 Jetta TDI, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon. 99.5 Jetta TDI, 98 NB TDI, 3 different black 96 Passat TDI wagons.
I'm running the MFD-G with FIS and TMC, as well as a chipped Phatbox.
I'll have to check my firmware version.

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
tongsli said:
Looks like vwnavi.com is offline!
They're still around.... looks like their domain registrar is having some issues.

vwnavi.com resolves to 216.119.81.247, however that server is not using different addresses per domain. Thus, you need to put an entry for vwnavi.com in your hosts file (c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts) to resolve locally.

--phil

pheller

Veteran Member
TDI
My Navi Version Information

Mine is originally version D. Toasted during my attempt to update to G. Re-flashed by Christian in Munich to G via Infineon C167 Bootstrap Loader method.

MCM SW: 1831R / 9128C / 3410R
SH SW: 1831 / 0102
NAV SW: 385.28 / 967.07 / NO ROM
NDB SW: 385.07 / 384.27 / ------
Kontrast: 30
NAV HW: 1002 / 06113

Project: VW2_DYN 00KW14
STAMP: Aug 31 2001 / 15:27:40
USER: FEO2HI / DEP : N
Ver. Name:
MCM: 00 KoPro: 00 SH: 00 Kombi: 00 00
ACT TEMP: 48 / FAN : OFF /S /N

Funkaholik

TDI
Jetta 2001 Silver
Question about double din to Nav G conversion: I read the newbieNAV page and I'm unclear about the TMC. For a car with no FIS and no steering wheel controls, is a TMC still required for the NAV to communicate with the car's CAN BUS, or can I run without it?

Thanks!

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you don't have FIS or steering wheel controls, you can install a MFD-D unit.

The G unit/TMC combo is only necessary if you have FIS or Multifunction Steering wheel.

I'm pretty sure Pencilneck's page says that.

If your car came with a double DIN, then it would be best to get a Navi G. If your car has steering wheel controls and/or FIS, then you will have to get a Navi G and the TMC. No steering wheel control, no FIS, then you can use a Navi D version, but if you were to upgrade to a FIS cluster, the Navi/Radio info would not be displayed, only the Navi G will be able to do that, thus Navi G is best because you can upgrade in the future (you never know).

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray
OK I've finally taken the plunge. My Navi version G is on it's way from Europe. I have steering wheel controls and would like to upgrade to the FIS display when I find one and have the necessary cash. So for now I am looking for the proper TMC box and gathering the cables/antenna/map CDs/radio removal tools etc.
I'm pretty excited.:D

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Golf GLS (PD) - Indigo Blue
you can add me to the list as well... my G system is sitting on my dining room table awaiting my next bit of vacation time to install it :)

MarkWaddle

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS Black
Me too :D. I bought my car with a multifunction steering wheel and double-DIN Monsoon. I've since installed a Phatbox.

I have a chrome-ring FIS cluster that I received ages ago before I even knew about OEM Navi. Bought it from gti-de on German eBay. ~$350, can't remember. It came with zeroed mileage and the SKC stickered to it. Bought the wiring and stalk from WorldImpex.

I got my MFD version G from navi555 on German eBay. $721. I paid too much. I didn't do enough research. I'm seeing it go for $800-900 for the unit, CDs and accessories now on Vortex classifieds, but oh well. It came with European CDs that I am going to sell.

I got the accessories for the Navi unit from SteveZ1 here on TDIClub.
- Double DIN adapter - $80
- AM/FM antenna adapter - $25
- GPS antenna - $30
- Double DIN CD changer adapter - $10
- Radio removal tools - $15

I've paid for the TMC box from this auction, http://cgi.ebay.de/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4636998952, but haven't received it yet. $238.54

I have a VAGCOM. Now I need the SKC for my car so I can install the cluster and the rest all at once. I have a way to get it, but I can't tell. It will take me a month before I can get it and probably another month before I get to installing it. ;)

Once its all said and done I will have a Navi with FIS, multifunction steering wheel and Phatbox. I'm stoked :D

Recommendations for others: Buy the Navi together with the CDs and accessories if you can. If you can't, I highly recommend all of the vendors I have worked with.

Last edited by a moderator:

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Any how-to's needed?

Hey all - made a final decision and decided exactly what I'm installing in the car (04 Golf)...

To be installed:
MFD version G
TMC box
JL audio 75x4 amp
Boston acoustics 6.5 pro's; new wiring
Sirius satellite radio
(phatbox will remain)

To be removed:
Monsoon head unit
Monsoon amp
all stock speakers

My question is this: would it be helpful for me to attempt to document any of this install for a how-to thread, or do you guys think everything is covered elsewhere?

Now would be a perfect time for me to start taking pics while I'm accumulating a pile of parts on my dining room table (if it is needed). From what I can tell most everything has already been documented, but I can definitely give it a shot if you guys think it would be helpful, or if you think any part of it could stand to be beefed up a bit in the various threads...

LMK-
mike

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
What I'd like to see...

BlueCTTDi said:
Hey all - made a final decision and decided exactly what I'm installing in the car (04 Golf)...

To be installed:
MFD version G
TMC box
JL audio 75x4 amp
Boston acoustics 6.5 pro's; new wiring
Sirius satellite radio
(phatbox will remain)

To be removed:
Monsoon head unit
Monsoon amp
all stock speakers

My question is this: would it be helpful for me to attempt to document any of this install for a how-to thread, or do you guys think everything is covered elsewhere?

Now would be a perfect time for me to start taking pics while I'm accumulating a pile of parts on my dining room table (if it is needed). From what I can tell most everything has already been documented, but I can definitely give it a shot if you guys think it would be helpful, or if you think any part of it could stand to be beefed up a bit in the various threads...

LMK-
mike
How you will mount the aftermarket speakers.

With regard to the Monsoon Amp/speaker wiring. If you don't ever intend to re-install any of it (return to stock) then you should use the wires in the existing harness for the speakers since the + & - to each speaker is back at the amp.

Use one of the extra wires as your remote turn-on wire. It goes to the yellow connector of the T-20 (green/blue/yellow) It's pin 6.

The DSP wiring uses the same type of wires(twisted) to run the pre-amp outputs to the back. Or, you can get that adapter harness from Blaupunkt and run RCA's to the back. Both work. I've had DSP and have the Alpine now.
Pin 4 RF
Pin 1 RR
Pin 5 LF
Pin 2 LR

Pin 3 is ground/common

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
tongsli said:
Or, you can get that adapter harness from Blaupunkt and run RCA's to the back.
Done. it's sitting on my table. :)

Thanks for the link a while back btw.. also picked up a dietz 1213 so I can wire my Sirius through the aux port.

Good call on the turn-on lead.. that'll save me having to run an extra wire. I still have a set of monster rca's to run the preouts to the rear of the car, so I'm just using those.

This plan might be a bit ambitious, but I was planning to replace the wiring from the amp to the speakers as well - how good is the stock monsoon wiring? I have all the monster cable from my old installation.. i'd rather go with whatever wire is better, considering i have to take most of the interior trim out anyhow, it wouldn't be *that* bad to replace wiring if need be

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BlueCTTDi said:
Done. it's sitting on my table. :)

Thanks for the link a while back btw.. also picked up a dietz 1213 so I can wire my Sirius through the aux port.

Good call on the turn-on lead.. that'll save me having to run an extra wire. I still have a set of monster rca's to run the preouts to the rear of the car, so I'm just using those.

This plan might be a bit ambitious, but I was planning to replace the wiring from the amp to the speakers as well - how good is the stock monsoon wiring? I have all the monster cable from my old installation.. i'd rather go with whatever wire is better, considering i have to take most of the interior trim out anyhow, it wouldn't be *that* bad to replace wiring if need be
I've got an Alpine amp with the Votex speakers. Works great. It's your time. Lower A pillar, lower B pillar, sill trim pieces. Connection stations inside then through the door grommet.

BlueCTTDi

Veteran Member
TDI
so the first official snag has come up...

and a pretty big one at that.

Took the first door panel off today to gauge what I'd be dealing with. tweeters should be simple to replace, just a couple of plastic "welds" (for lack of a better term) hold them in - those should pop right out.

the woofers, however, are going to present me a problem. I bought a set of scosche adapter plates from crutchfield, which at first glance look like they would perfectly fit - they do seem to be fairly decent. However, the Boston 6.5 woofers have a fairly large frame enclosure, in fact big enough that the adapter will not fit around the top end of the speaker. (I'll try to get a couple pics up later to show what I'm talking about.) I'm either going to have to badly hack up the adapters (not probable), or come up with an alternate solution (probable).

The new speakers are about 1/4" deeper than the stock monsoons, so I still need to maintain at least the stock spacing or I risk having the rear window glass hit the top of the speaker when it is dropped. Not good, as I'm sure you guys who have upgraded are well aware.

Worst case scenario, I may have to have custom brackets made if I want to use these speakers. Anyone run into an issue like this, and if so, what did you do?