View Single Post
Old August 16th, 2004, 20:10   #4
blitzoid
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 48/42/37
Default Ignition wire & S-contact Thread

Dan - the wire in question (to give you radio power as with old stereo) is in the steering column. I remember reading about it here a while back, when i installed the panasonic deck. (I found out after the install, so I never modified my switched power) If memory serves, the wire is brown/red stripe, but I would not trust my intuition alone. I'm going to hunt around vortex for a bit and see if i can find it. If i do, i'll post back here.

Also - that "key switched power" is NOT available at the radio. It's controlled through the CAN-BUS.

Good luck.

I actually remembered correctly! (who would have thunk it??!)

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1504629

that's in the R32 forum, but the result is the same - brown wire/red stripe. Terminates in position #10 in the fuseblock, but can also be found under the steering column.

FROM OCCAM's Razor's Post:

The standard wiring for a 2003 Jetta, (no monsoon), is for Pin 14 of the DD connector, (the one that corresponds to the "power" plug wiring), to go to Pin 86S of the ignition switch which is a brown / red wire.

The Monsoon wiring harness differs in that Pin 14 of the DD goes to the Hood Alarm Switch, (which is also a brown / red wire).

Coincidence? I think not, (damn Germans are too efficient for that!)

Haven't quite figured out if it somehow has the same path, (eventually), as the standard wiring.

When I try my installation I will check current there with the key on and see what happens.

I would love to plug one more wire into the DD adapter, (Pin 14 for those who are keeping track), so I have one less wire to run and have the benefit of the factory protection, (fuses already in place, etc.)!
blitzoid is offline   Reply With Quote

Page generated in 0.05250 seconds with 8 queries
[Output: 16.34 Kb. compressed to 14.90 Kb. by saving 1.44 Kb. (8.82%)]