P 2015 code 800 miles from home. Safe to drive home? Need AnswerASAP.

JosephH1

TDI
2010 Silver 2dr
In what is becoming a regular occurrence lately I threw a CEL today. Naturally, I am 800 miles form home. The code reads Intake Manifold Runner Sensor. I reset the CEL and it stayed off until I shut the engine off. It is on again. The car is running fine, and I can fix this when I get home in about 800 miles. Will I do any significant damage driving the car in this condition? Again, the car is running great. TIA

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I do not believe that the intake flap valves function has anything to do with DPF regenerations. Therefore, it would probably be safe to drive home. There are some members here who have unplugged the wire to the motor for these flaps with no apparent problems (aside from a CEL). If your fault code was exhaust related, I would say not to drive it because 800 miles without a regeneration could cause problems.

However, keep in mind that I am not an expert on everything VW. With any luck, somebody who knows more about this than I do will chime in on this question. The idea above to call a local VW dealer might work, but there is also a good chance that the VW dealer knows even less than I do about this. I would not give their advice any more trust than mine.

Have Fun!

Don

Dozenspeed

Top Post Dawg
I recently ran with a code 2015 for over 12k miles. I did something cheesy in the motor bay to alleviate the symptom :eek: but have yet to see it come back yet. :cool: I don't know my current ash load (to know if it rose sharply due to the event, indicating shortened dpf service life) but currently car is running good, no codes and regens normally. :)

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Why not call a VW dealer and get their opinion?
Going to a VW dealer or even calling a VW dealer's service department should be a last resort for any able bodied VW owner; particularly for a vehicle that is out of warranty.

JosephH1

TDI
2010 Silver 2dr
Going to a VW dealer or even calling a VW dealer's service department should be a last resort for any able bodied VW owner; particularly for a vehicle that is out of warranty.
Agreed. I pretty much use them for a "worst case" scenario. A good example is the small cooling fan died and the dealer told me that the cowling and both fans come as one unit, and it would be a $940 repair with labor. I ordered an OEM fan from an online VW dealer (awesome folks) for $125 delivered and I installed it myself in about 45 minutes. There was nothing wrong with the large fan and relay. If I had been really unlucky and had a non drivable issue, I may have been forced to the local dealer. As it turned out the car ran like a champ with the CEL glowing brightly. I will be doing the intake myself as well. Thanks for everybody's help. It was a much less stressful trip home knowing that I was not damaging the car.