Awaiting delivery: BMW 118d

lkchris

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 New Beetle
BMW USA apparently has sworn off offereing 4-cyl engines for the USA market. The diesels they'll offer for 2009 will be 6-cyl models and only in 3-series and X5. The couple 1-series cars they'll sell here will be 6-cyl gasoline only.

If a BMW fan wants a 4-cyl these days, s/he has to go to Mini. No news as to whether Mini diesels will come to USA.

Dieseltoys

Vendor
TDI
Toyota Diesel
Sucks though as the Mini's use a Toyota 1.4 D-4D engine. Great platform, but if you're wanting strictly a BMW powerplant, a Mini is not your man.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
texasmeat said:
Sucks though as the Mini's use a Toyota 1.4 D-4D engine. Great platform, but if you're wanting strictly a BMW powerplant, a Mini is not your man.
That was the last generation. The current Mini has a PSA 1.6 engine.

G20

TDI
2003 Golf
Beautiful car ! My wife and i have an 07' 330xi...love it, just wish it was a diesel. BMW makes an unbelievable car. Later this year we (U.S.) should have the x5 in diesel and the 335 available. Either one would be great ! :D

GIDDY_UP_GO

Veteran Member
TDI
10 Jetta 13 Beetle Convertible 15 GSW
Beautiful Car!

German_1er_diesel,

That is one fine looking BMW! I am jealous as all get out! I wish the USA would start looking into diesel as a primary fuel for automobiles in our country as does Europe.

By the way, has anyone ever told you that you look like Austin Powers? vbmenu_register("postmenu_2243158", true);

SilveR316

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 VW Golf 1.9L TDI
Hi!

Great looking car.

Thanks for picking it up for me! I'll PM you my address and you can ship the car and the keys over ASAP to me.

:D

:( Wish we could get these over here.

NBnext

TDI
98 NB, 97 Passat
I WANT!

What has happened to the Gray Market idea that was hot back in the 80's?
Can't these cars be refited to meet Federal/State regs.......??

I already have two Bimmers.....one more would be better...........
and one of them gets 68 mpg!

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
NBnext said:
I WANT!

What has happened to the Gray Market idea that was hot back in the 80's?
Can't these cars be refited to meet Federal/State regs.......??
I don't think so... would be too expensive to certify.

It only works the other way around, Mustang in Germany for example is no problem, since you can affordably certify individual cars at the TüV.

Bayou_Flyer

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf 4Door 6M

If VWs "Das Auto" can be used in the States, then BMW should use this for their US diesel marketing campaign as well!

"Diesel Ist Ein Energy Drink!!"

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Bayou_Flyer said:

If VWs "Das Auto" can be used in the States, then BMW should use this for their US diesel marketing campaign as well!

"Diesel Ist Ein Energy Drink!!"
They had some ofther great ads in that room.
As you can see, they used "BMW, mein Auto" in 1931.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Quick update:
The car has 12333 km on the clock now. Zero problems, I drive most of the time autobahn, lifetime average is now 6.0 l/100km (calculated with my fuel bills, but thetrip computer is very accurate)

Anecdotal: On a recent business trip to Sweden I tried to take advantage of the speed limits there and got a daily average fuel economy of 3.4 l/100km (69 mpg). That was commuting back and forth between Eslöv (winner of the "most boring town in Sweden" award 2007! Seriously!) and Hörby, with most of the way 70 or 90 kph speed limits and one tiny 100 kph piece.

Slightly annoying: I need winter wheels. My BMW dealer told me when I ordered the car, he could sell me a set of Eagle UG GW3 * RSC 195/55 R16 87H on steel wheels for 950€ and that it would be a bit more expensive in autumn/winter. Naturally, I didn't buy them from him.
My local tire dealer had in internet offer around 700€, which magically inflated to 802€ when I called.
I found some Conti WinterContact TS810 SSR on a BMW dealer's website on the other end of germany for 649€ with shipping now - that sounded about right. So I'll post new pictures of my car on small, ugly wheels soon.

A few pictures:

On a parking deck in the middle of Lübeck

In Sweden

The European idea of a Ford truck

On the Rødby-Puttgarden ferry

Some X6 xDrive3.0d in my home town on a BMW-sponsored sailing event

Some X6 xDrive3.0d in my home town on a BMW-sponsored sailing event

Can you find the car? (building site is our new office/workshop/warehouse building)

Last edited:

ricardotdi

TDI
06 jetta
I rented a BMW 118d in Italy, summer 2007. What a fine car it was. Rode superbly on all roads, soaked up road imperfections so well.. I note that because my '06 Jetta TDI rides so harshly over bumps. The Jetta rides great on cobblestones and very rough surfaces---leads me to think they installed shocks with the Mexican back roads in mind.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Some updates:
I still like it ;) I put on the winter wheels with Contis in early November and will change back to the 17" summer wheels soon.

With a bit of snow...

Yes I know... ugly, ugly wheels.

Last edited:

jkp1187

Veteran Member
TDI
none yet
Still jealous...none of these fine turbodiesel 4's in the USA yet. What do we get instead? An M version of the X5 and X6... Please. I would buy a 123d coupe tomorrow if it were available.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Meet Number Two

Update:
In the beginning of July, after three years and 100,300 km, the lease was up and I retuned the car to the dealer.
The price my BMW dealer quoted for buying the 118d after the lease was frankly insane, so I decided to try and find a similar car elsewhere for a better price. So here's my new ride:

The color is called Montego Blue, the interior is "Network" cloth anthracite/black. It's equipped like my old car, minus the "chrome line" exterior pack, 16" instead of 17" wheels, plus cornering lights, keyless entry and auto a/c.
It's a BMW certified pre-owned with 1 year of full warranty, the tires, brakes and windshield are new, the hood was repainted because of some small paint chips and the price was great.
Enjoying it!

jas67

TDI
2012 TDI JSW on order.
NICE!!! I love the color.

The BMWCCA Magaznine, Roundel, keeps teasing us with the prospect of us getting the F20 "5 door" hatch. They are also saying that the new 528i with the N20 direct-injected turbo-four benzine consume about 20% less fuel than the outgoing 528i.. The new 128i would have this same engine, and likely have consumption similar to the current 120i with the power of the 130i. While still not as frugal as the diesel, it is better than what we can get now. If they don't bring us a 1-series diesel, an N20 powered 5-door 1 would be a likely replacement for my E46 touring in a few years, now that we're getting the TDI Jetta Sportwagon (Golf Variant) for my wife (which will take over "family car" duty from the E46 touring).

Last edited:

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
Real world tests of the new X1 "28i" with the 2-liter vs the old 3.0 "28i" show that the turbo guzzles a bit more than the naturally aspirated six in real world driving. If you want to get better fuel economy in the turbo four, keep it the hell out of boost.

jas67

TDI
2012 TDI JSW on order.
Real world tests of the new X1 "28i" with the 2-liter vs the old 3.0 "28i" show that the turbo guzzles a bit more than the naturally aspirated six in real world driving. If you want to get better fuel economy in the turbo four, keep it the hell out of boost.

Hmmm...... I'll keep praying for the 120d or 320d then. There is still no getting around the fact that diesel fuel has more energy per volume than gasoline.

German_1er_diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 118d
On the current Autoblog Podcast they said that the word from BMW is that they expect half their US sales to be diesels before the end of the decade. Ain't gonna happen with the sixes alone...