2011 jetta sportwagon going with bigger tires before a long trip

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
getting ready to drive almost 3,000 miles in our 2011 JSW. the tires have good tread but are very cupped. I found a set of new take off 235-55-17's. seems like its a little bigger than the factoy 225-45-17. the car is getting bought back 3 days after i return home so i dont want to invest $600 for tires that are the same size. anyone have some insight on this?

D-Cup

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Cup Edition, 2003 Jetta GLS, 2000 Jetta GLS, 2012 JSW
Based on another thread about oversized tires, the max tire diameter that will fit in our mk5 & mk6 wheel well is 27”.
225/45-17 have a diameter of 25.0”
235/55-17 have a diameter of 27.2” so that’s just too big to fit unless you’ve done some other modification.

If I was doing buyback, I would just rotate the tires for the trip (or not) to best handle the 3k and leave it at that. My 2cents.

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
driving 3k on cupped tires is lame. An overage on acceptable size of .2 is likely doable. What's the chance of mounting one to see if it fits. I put 225-55-17 on my '09 JSW and it rubbed a tiny amount at full in. hardly noticeable. Also 3k of minimal turning? makes a difference...

Pharcyde145

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
That's a 2.2" difference in diameter. My guess is you would experience a good amount of rub, when considering payload and when you get close to maxing the steering out side to side, if you did use them. Personally, I wouldn't go oversize because of rub and because a larger tire increases weight and rolling resistance which decreases your MPGs, but that's simply my 2 cents. I can understand and appreciate not wanting to spend $600 if its going to be bought back soon. There's gotta bet a proper sized set out there somewhere for you, don't give up. Driving 3k on cupped tires sucks.

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
My $0.02: they got cupped for a reason. You're worried about the cupping, but doing nothing to repair then driving 3k miles?

SkiBumJH

TDI
2009 JSW, sold back 11/17, 2012 Jetta Sportwagen
If he was keeping the car then that would be way more important. OP doesn't indicate any steering/suspension issues holding him back; Like a shimmy or hop.

Have to agree that ultimately you're pressing the envelope when you don't need to if you use them. And as noted, if you're rolling low/heavy...its gonna suck. Like the MPG's.

Surely you could find a cheaper better suited set locally or on CL, etc.?

Look online at Simple tire. they're cheapish.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
some tire brands seem more prone to cupping, I had a set of goodyears go to crap in 10000 miles, replaced with Michelin, never had an issue again, didn't change any suspension parts, didn't even get an alignment. not saying the OP doesn't have something going on, but cupped tires are not always a smoking gun. that said I ran a 5% taller sidewall with the same width after killing a rim in a pothole, ride was a bit better, picked up about 3% spedo error.

My recommendation is put the two worst ones in the back so they are less annoying to you and then drive the 3k and dump it cups and all

Last edited:

piotrsko

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf, 2000 F-250 (7.3)
Agreed^^^^. My comment was more along: worried about tires to the exclusion of other possible issues.

2002tdi

Vendor
TDI
2012 jetta premier DSG
I bought the wheels second hand when I first bought the car. I threw it on our alignment rack right away. I ended up leaving the cupped wheels on and it’s starting to smooth out. I’m 2000 miles into the trip currently.