rear trunk latch wont latch

sb765t

TDI
Jetta IV, 2001, blue
so...

a couple weeks ago, i opened the trunk with the key fob, and it won't latch. luckily, it stays closed by itself, and looks latched...but...it'd be really nice to have a working trunk again.

anyone have any suggestions for this one?

thanks,
Evan
Raleigh, NC
'01 Jetta, TDI, 113k

emile

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf GLS TDI 5-Speed, Reflex Silver
i had this issue on my '05 golf. the sensor in the trunk latch was faulty. it would mechanically latch but the sensor would not trigger the lock. i had it replaced under warranty.

rixtory

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf TDI GLS Black
Same issue in my 02 golf. Replaced under warranty but took over a week to get the part from Germany.

mjghh

Veteran Member
Spring

There is an internal or should I say "infernal "spring in the latch assy that can be knocked off by the plastic cover that envelopes that assy. I had to remove the plastic that had broken off and reinstalled the spring with a set of angled needlenose....delicate operation but saved a bunch of money and time.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
Mine failed because of a leaking wiper/washer motor that corroded the connections. Common on Golfs and Wagons.

Dante Casali

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS silver/black
My latch also does not latch anymore. I can close the trunk, but it gives me a 'door ajar' light on the dash and the horn does not sound when I lock with the keyless entry fob.

It did this on occasion before when it was very cold, but now its stopped completely.

If I open the hatch, I can rotate the 'locking hook' on the hatch release with my fingers until it is in the 'closed' position and the alarm then 'locks' and the horn beeps its 'locked' signal. ...but the trunk locking hook does not stay in the closed position. It returns to the open position.

The Hella brand trunk release motor seems to be working fine, and its still attached to the trunk lid, its arms appear to be moving the pieces they are attached to.

I have read about the 'spring fix' where you either repair the broken spring or replace it with something else like a rubber band. I keep a fair amount of tools in my car and I would hate for someone to take them so I need to fix this correctly.

Any suggestions?

Dante Casali

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf TDI GLS silver/black
Fixed!

I removed the trunk latch using my 12 point torx bits and removed the plastic cover. After cleaning all the junk outta it with some PB Blaster, I put dielectric grease in the 3 pin sensor and a bunch of white litheim (sp?) grease in the lock mechanism.

Im guessing that the latch couldnt rotate enough to lock properly.

dieselron

trunk latch won't latch

Dante Casali said:
Fixed!

I removed the trunk latch using my 12 point torx bits and removed the plastic cover. After cleaning all the junk outta it with some PB Blaster, I put dielectric grease in the 3 pin sensor and a bunch of white litheim (sp?) grease in the lock mechanism.

can anyone be more specific on removing lock to clean and lube?

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Most likely it will be the srping inside. Remove the latch from the car and look inside the mechanism. There are pics around here somewhere to show what it looks like but when its in your hands, the problem is really apparent.

cynapsesystems

TDI
None
Trunk latch spring fix.

Just wanted to thank weasel for the trunk latch tip. My 2001.5 Passat (non-diesel.... not available back then, waiting for common rail technology now), trunk latch failed but I was able to:
  1. remove the upholstery from the inside of the trunk (by carefully prying around the edges),
  2. remove the latch from the trunk lid using a 10mm socket wrench on the two nuts. Had to pry a little at the trunk metal to get the socket in here.
  3. removed the black plastic surround on the latch that peels back and unfolds around the latch,
  4. and finally see aforementioned weasel's spring languishing.
  5. I then used a darning needle to hook the spring back on to the latch.
  6. reassemble, check, hey presto. I've been saved a bunch of hassle and cash.
Thanks again!

Mr_Moe

Veteran Member
TDI
cynapsesystems said:
Just wanted to thank weasel for the trunk latch tip. My 2001.5 Passat (non-diesel.... not available back then, waiting for common rail technology now), trunk latch failed but I was able to:
  1. remove the upholstery from the inside of the trunk (by carefully prying around the edges),
  2. remove the latch from the trunk lid using a 10mm socket wrench on the two nuts. Had to pry a little at the trunk metal to get the socket in here.
  3. removed the black plastic surround on the latch that peels back and unfolds around the latch,
Thanks again!
That's how I fixed mine.
The most time consuming part is removing and installing the upholstery.

weasel

Deactivated Member Account
TDI
None.
Yay !! I am finally good for something. Now send me a beer ....

grg144

TDI
'03 Jetta GL, '04 Jetta GLS Wagon
Thanks again!
Same problem on 2003 Jetta GL sedan. Same fix except for:

1. remove the upholstery from the inside of the trunk (by removing the phillips-head screws),
  2. <same>
  3. <same>, then remove the white insert with the two studs on it to which the black plastic was attached (to do this, you may have to detach the electical cable, the wire cable, and the metal rod with the black plastic fitting)
  4. <all the rest is the same, but I used a wooden barbecue skewer instead of the darning needle:D>
Whole thing took 30 minutes, including several trips back in the house for tools I should have thought to bring.

Many thanks, all, for saving me lotsa $$$!!!

Ian on the Trent

TDI
2013 Golf Wagon
I needed to remove my latch completely and then diligently remove all the grease from every part of the mechanism. I tried regreasing with a light silicon grease it but when I gave it my "winter test" (I put the latch in my freezer for 15mins to simulate winter") it just stuck. I ended up using a lightweight machine oil.

Interestingly, I found a very small piece of metal in the old grease. When I dry tested the latch the parts just didn't seem to run true. I'm wondering if something internal broke and there was just too much combined friction between temperature thickened grease and the broken part.

It was -10deg Celsius last night and the trunk latch is still working.

(Yes, I know this thread was started a while ago. It was useful to me so I added to it.)

Last edited:

Jet A Jetta

TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I have had this same issue. I disassembled the latch, cleaned, and then used white lithium grease. The old grease dried and was sticky. I had a similar problem with my brake switch. When it got cold, the brake light would come on and kill the battery.

I think this is a vender issue. That lithium grease should not dry up like that. They are sourcing too cheep.

John

Jarrod B

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI
i dont know if this is related. the trunk will just not lock when closing it. it bounces back up. i can press the lock in on the lock and can unlock it in the air but closing it will not work. have to slam it a few times to get it to stay down. and at times i see the trunk light on when closed. is that a sensor or faulty lock?

ALL4AMD

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta GLS
I am reporting I now have the same issue. I think the spring popped off as looking in the latch it will not hook.

biker250

TDI
'02 Golf
I'm having the same problem as Bockhold. I have to slam the trunk really hard to get it to latch & lock. Otherwise, it just bounces right back at me. Is this the same problem the OP was having and, consequently, the same fix? Thanks.

deadend9009

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Wagon
I'm having the same problem as Bockhold. I have to slam the trunk really hard to get it to latch & lock. Otherwise, it just bounces right back at me. Is this the same problem the OP was having and, consequently, the same fix? Thanks.
Same here...dented my tailgate I had to shut it so hard

oEo

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Golf TDi PD ::Indigo Blue::
This morning my latch started acting up. Unfortunately, I didn't get to measure the size of the 12 pt bolt head in millimeters to be able to remove it and take a closer look because I was able to get it to work again so the hatch is staying closed for the time being.

Does anyone know what size in mm the 12 pt triple square bit is so I can purchase one and fix it correctly? Or if you could open your hatch and pull back the plastic and measure the head, that would be great!

04 Golf.

Thanks in advance!
-Tony

Fixed!

Last edited:

GaryAitken

TDI
2005+ Jetta
Make sure the gears are squeeky clean

I did the spring modification some time ago and it worked for a short time, then began failing again. As it was winter and I don't have a warm place to work, I waited until now to look into it.
After dismantling the trunk latch several times, I noticed that the gear which turns the plunger mechanism to release the latch was stiff -- when turning the gears by hand there was a stiff spot. The last time I dismantled it I did it carefully without resetting the latch, and noticed that the plunger was stuck; when closing the latch by hand it would not catch. After checking all the parts I discovered a tiny piece of dirt/plastic between two of the gear teeth on the small (motor) gear. After removing that the gear mechanism worked much more smoothly, and upon reassembly the whole mechanism worked like a champ.
Moral -- make sure the two gears are squeeky clean, and the gear housing is sealed properly when put back together. Also note that the plunger has a small tab on it. I think that tab should be pointed directly upwards when reassembling, as it looks like it rides against a plastic rib on the cover when the cover is closed.

MarsBar

Veteran Member
TDI
B4V#2 "Flash", 2000 Jetta GL, B4V#1 "PaTuDI" (2008-2018 RIP)
Our 2000 Jetta sedan just failed as I came home and got my stuff out of the trunk. Have had to slam it to get it to latch ever since we bought it this summer. Now the trunk closes but the latch doesn't latch, I can lift the trunk lid right back up. The weird thing is that the alarm will still arm. Guess I'll be driving the B4 until we can take the mechanism apart and check the spring. Not going to be this weekend, supposed to rain both days. It's always something when you own a TDI.

ieracer

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI
Awesome fix, 30 minutes. My plastic tab broke so the pushrod up at the motor would just fall out. Superglued the little tab on and superglued a piece of plastic under the tab long enough to cover the break on each side and same width as the tab. Perfect!