Oil Dipstick

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
Should there be an o-ring near the top of the oil dipstick?

BamaB4S

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat
It does look like it's designed for an o-ring.
Dipstick rests loosely in the oil tube without one.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
NOPE, your all wrong, sorry. no o'ring, no part number, just when out side, too the tarp off my mk3, and pulled the dipstick, NO O'Ring at all, 366K miles with out one and not so much as a drop out of that part or it not seating securely, its quite stiff fitment and i see no reason to add one. Replace the dipstick cap and the dipstick if its leaking as they do get brittle from age.

Again, no it does not, for the AHU and the ALH both use the same part number.

/thread

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Doesn't prove anything but mine doesn't have one either.

Looking at the picher one sees that the groove is deeper than it is wide. Not what one would expect if an o-ring belonged there.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
I agree that the design looks like and probably was and is designed for an o'ring but not ONE picture i can find of a new part has the o'ring and a search for the part diagram on VWpart.com does not show one in the technical drawings.

now the aftermarket ones at like ECS tuning, id parts and some other custom billet dipsticks have o'rings but that's due to the design of the aftermarket. I believe that the question was that "should there be one" the answer is no

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Part # is 027115611C
do a search on google images, not one of them has the "missing" o'ring.