2003 Jetta Monsoon Stereo

rhett1948

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, silver, black leather interior
A while back, the FM radio started getting intermittent, progressively worse. Assuming it was the antenna base, I replaced it. The original looked brand new, no corrosion anywhere. No change in radio reception. It finally quit altogether. CD player works fine, which tells me it's an antenna issue.

I then bought tools to remove the radio, figuring there was likely a bad antenna connection at the back of the radio. Today I removed the radio and everything in back looks fine. I removed and replaced the plugs and antenna jack. Still no AM or FM radio.

I'm wondering if it could be an internal component in the radio, or if I'm missing something simple. Any help will be appreciated. If I knew someone with a Monsoon I could swap mine with, I could narrow the problem, but no such luck.

Corsair

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5M
I'd recommend one more check if it's easy to do- before installing a new radio, is it possible to remove (again) the existing radio and connect the antenna to a known good radio, and test that radio before putting everything back together ? That would concretely establish whether the issue is with the radio or the antenna- pinched cable somewhere etc. Good luck !