99.5 Jetta 5 Spd Shift Linkage Adjustment

RichK

TDI
1999 Jetta IV
I have a Bentley paper manual for 1999-2002 A4 cars, but the shift linkage adjustment procedure is for 2000 and above. I've searched the forums for several hours and can't find any information for my configuration. I have the "Stuck In 5th gear" problem. I want to make sure my linkage is adjusted correctly before going any further. This is my first post, never had to before.....always found the needed info here before. Does anyone have the info I need?

pbraunton

Veteran Member
TDI
03' Jetta TDi
Sorry but I think if you google myturbotdi there is a how to one there

But I have done it, on the top of the tranny there is a little "L" shaped black thing, and you turn it, at the same time grab the counter weight and push it down and wiggle the both of them and you can feel it slide into a locked position, be careful though cause you can break the black thing off then your screwed!!!

Then unhook the springs on the end of the shift linkages, Not sure how this is done but it was not too hard

Then unhook the shift boot from the bottom and at the 7 o'clock position there is a small hole and you insert a nail or drill bit in it while pulling the shifter left and to the rear, the pin will slide into another hole below it and hold it in place, now you have both the tranny and shifter in the "home" position

Go back under the hood and release the springs on the linkages and this re clamps the rods to the end pieces

Now just release the tranny lock and pull the pin on the shifter and tidy the rest up.........

YouTube might have a video on this as well so do a search there!!!

Paul
Sent using my iPhone!!

RichK

TDI
1999 Jetta IV
Thanks, but that is the "2000 and up" procedure. I think VW used the A3 linkage system in the 99.5 A4 Jetta.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Procedure

Check the gate selector cable tension first. Try shifting in and out of 5th by hand directly on the gearbox. You might be able to see or feel what is going on.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Without the $200 in special tools it's really guess and check :(

-J
Huh? The only special tool you need is a pin to put the shift lever in the "home" position. When I did mine, I used a drill bit. What does the home position on the trans-axle is all ready built into the trans-axle. The procedure is stupid simple.

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
Huh? The only special tool you need is a pin to put the shift lever in the "home" position. When I did mine, I used a drill bit. What does the home position on the trans-axle is all ready built into the trans-axle. The procedure is stupid simple.
99s have a different shift box which is more of a pain to align. There's no simple pinhole you can put a rig pin in. If you look at the procedure you can see the alignment fixture. The gate cable, however, can be aligned without more than a basic wrench.

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
99s have a different shift box which is more of a pain to align. There's no simple pinhole you can put a rig pin in. If you look at the procedure you can see the alignment fixture. The gate cable, however, can be aligned without more than a basic wrench.
Stupid me than. I was assuming we were talking the 2000 and newer cars.:rolleyes:

I should have read the first post more carefully.................