2013 Jetta

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Similar consumption on a cheaper (in North America) fuel - sign me up.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
VW is supposedly not able to keep up with diesel demand in everything but the Jetta Sedan. JSW are selling at 80% diesels.

It will be interesting to see if VW can pull off real world numbers with the hybrid that come close to the EPA numbers. I agree that this does not look good for the diesel engines. Except that the hybrids are typically one of the higher priced offerings in the line. So maybe there will be a choice of high mpg diesel of $25,000 and a high mpg hybrid for $30,000. Probably no options on the hybrid, fully loaded or nothing.

just rambling, perhaps this could also position VW to offer true into diesels as a way to differentiate them from the hybrid. Stripped to the bones with on upgrades. ??

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Why, oh why, aren't we seeing TDI hybrids???? Put a 1.4L TDI in that instead of the gasser and get an additional 5MPG, at least!

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
It will be interesting to see if VW can pull off real world numbers with the hybrid that come close to the EPA numbers. I agree that this does not look good for the diesel engines. Except that the hybrids are typically one of the higher priced offerings in the line. So maybe there will be a choice of high mpg diesel of $25,000 and a high mpg hybrid for $30,000. Probably no options on the hybrid, fully loaded or nothing.
VW is going to be using 7spd DSG tranny compared everyone else that use the CVT, i'm thinking that has something to do with the mpg, but it will also add a huge fun factor to this. (hopefully)

As for real world MPG, vw's have been lot better with thier mpg claims so hopefully this one will be close.

Funny thing is that they are using 15' wheels! i guess every bit helps! That will be the first thing that will be changed in my car :)

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
-complex turbo engine, complex transmission AND a complex hybrid system. I'm not sure I'm ready for another layer of complexity. Frankly, I'm at the point where I'm nervous owning a car longer than four years or outside of warranty with the current level of complexity. If the reliability remains the same as older generation powertrains, and if maintenance/repair costs remain the same, then fine, but I'm not feeling overly confident.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Not to derail the hybrid topic, but did anyone notice the headlights with the LED DRLs and projectors? I am buying a set of those as soon as they're available.

In terms of the hybrid Jetta itself - but hybrids provide their best mileage in town. On the highway, it's all combustion engine powering the vehicle. Having had an Altima Hybrid before, I can say that I never achieved the stated mileage because too many hyper-miling techniques and road variables prevented achieving the stated mpg. Conversely, the Jetta TDI surpasses the stated mpg rating.

Last edited:

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
This a "feel good" model that will never take the place of a diesel option. This offering is just a "we can do this too", not a model to remove the diesel from the line up here or anywhere else......

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
This a "feel good" model that will never take the place of a diesel option. This offering is just a "we can do this too", not a model to remove the diesel from the line up here or anywhere else......
Agreed. It will likely be priced into a higher segment as well, similar to the Touareg Supercharged Hybrid. Although, I say that loosely, as the Touareg and Jetta platforms and markets are hardly comparable.

RabbitGTI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
B4 Passat Sedan
-complex turbo engine, complex transmission AND a complex hybrid system. I'm not sure I'm ready for another layer of complexity. Frankly, I'm at the point where I'm nervous owning a car longer than four years or outside of warranty with the current level of complexity. If the reliability remains the same as older generation powertrains, and if maintenance/repair costs remain the same, then fine, but I'm not feeling overly confident.
Excellent post. We are moving toward the day when cars will be very complex appliances and difficult to service. Many of the systems will be sealed and expensive to swap out. The days of people like me and many of the people on this board who drive their cars 15-30 years and do all the work themselves are numbered. I'm 56 and I'm afraid I might be the last generation.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
yep it comes with LED tails as well!

it will be funny, vw is going to sell more headlight+tails then hybrids!
I also read that HIDs will be included in a higher trim level, along with a power driver seat. Finally returning the option list. Still only the RNS-315 nav though. I love my HD Radio in my RNS-510 and would not want to step back to a radio wtihout it.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
i don't buy a car that is not out of warranty...the idea of arguing with the dealer makes me nervious. i have a tool box, and I trust myself more than the idiots at the dealer anyway.

VWBeamer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
I call BS on a 1.4 litre gas engine making 184 ft-lbs of torque at 1400 rpm:eek:

algaediesel

TDI
mine = 2000 Jetta (500k+ kms), her's = 2003 Jetta Wagon
Similar consumption on a cheaper (in North America) fuel - sign me up.
Does this mean that the 1.4 turbo gas engine does not require premium? That would be a big deal. In my part of Canada, diesel gets as expensive as premium in winter only. For most of the year, it is comparable or cheaper than regular.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Battery is behind the rear seat, meaning that you loose the ability to drop the seatbacks if you have to haul anything longer than the trunk. Probably also loose some of the trunk space. I guess both of those are still better than loosing the spare tire like the saturn hybrids were set up

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I thought I read that the battery pack was "under the rear seat" in this one - the issue with the seat backs affects several other models (but notably, not a Prius).

The fuel tank is also normally "under the rear seat"; maybe they've done some juggling to make it all fit, or reduced the size of the fuel tank. I know that in my Mk5 there is a lot of extra room down there.

darrelld

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Tesla Model S85, 2017 Chevy Bolt
I thought I read that the battery pack was "under the rear seat" in this one - the issue with the seat backs affects several other models (but notably, not a Prius).

The fuel tank is also normally "under the rear seat"; maybe they've done some juggling to make it all fit, or reduced the size of the fuel tank. I know that in my Mk5 there is a lot of extra room down there.
Here are photos that show the trunk, the rear seats fold and allow about 6 inches of pass through space.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/01/2013-volkswagen-jetta-hybrid-photo-gallery.html

Last edited:

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Here are photos that show the trunk, the rear seats fold and allow about 6 inches of pass through space.

http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2012/01/2013-volkswagen-jetta-hybrid-photo-gallery.html
I'll have to see it in person to tell how useful that would be. The lack of a fold down rear seat eliminated the Fusion Hybrid (and the Lincoln MKZ) for me, and you'll never see me in ANY Toyota. I was considering the Escape Hybrid before I bought the Tiguan, but couldn't find any in the Seattle area without driving quite a distance. Of course, if they'd just get the TDI in the Tiguan, it's all a moot point to me. I love the Tig, but I want a diesel!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
6 inches is not much. The usability will also depend on the angle of the trunk opening to the back seat hole. I found the set up in my 05 corolla almost worthless. The angle from the top of the trunk to the hole made it almost impossible to fit anything through the hole.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Good find. I think there's more pass-through space than that. It looks like it's just a higher trunk floor up near the front. Looks acceptable to me.

I've carried a 10-foot-long 2x4 in my car with the trunk lid closed. It looks like it can still be done ...

igiveup

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat, 2009 Jetta
Excellent post. We are moving toward the day when cars will be very complex appliances and difficult to service. Many of the systems will be sealed and expensive to swap out. The days of people like me and many of the people on this board who drive their cars 15-30 years and do all the work themselves are numbered. I'm 56 and I'm afraid I might be the last generation.
Totally agree, the automobile business is now in a mode where they want to milk every penny out of the customer. The days of the home mechanic are numbered. Sad part is fuel econony has not really improved significantly since my '86 TD Jetta. All these Hybrid and Electric vehicles are a marketing scam. I bet the carbon foot print of a Hybrid is about the same as the non-hybrid equavalent over a 10-12 year life span, hold on do the batteries even last that long? I have to laugh when I see a Chevy Volt driving down the road with smoke coming out the tailpipe.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Prius batteries have been holding up well. Honda (doesn't matter what model) batteries, not so much. Don't be misled ... the amount of energy that a vehicle uses over its normal lifetime to drive it down the road, exceeds by a huge margin (~10 times) the energy that it took to build it, and the hybrid battery packs are an insignificant part of the weight of the vehicle. (all-electric car is a different story.) The hybrid Jetta weighs about 200 lbs, i.e. 6%, more than the standard one. The energy taken to manufacture is pretty close to in proportion to its weight, so if it takes 6% more in the beginning to manufacture it but that results in 20% less over its lifetime ... that's a worthwhile tradeoff. (1.06 + 8 is less than 1.00 + 10)

Improvements in powertrain efficiency have been offset by increases in vehicle weight and power; there have been other posts about this recently. Your '86 Jetta won't come even remotely close to passing today's crash tests. Frontal offset impact was hardly a consideration back then. Side impact ... good luck. On top of that, people now expect a level of quiet and refinement that did not exist back then. You couldn't sell a car now that was as noisy inside as that '86 was. No one would buy it. And, everyone wants air conditioning, and navigation systems, and fancy stereos, etc.

Then there's the matter of the enthusiast magazines complaining about anything taking 9 seconds or more to 60 mph as being "slow". People have been brainwashed about this. The average person takes 15 seconds or more to do it and seldom, if ever, uses the extra power.

You're right about the days of the home mechanic being numbered, though.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
A current day version of the A2 Jetta would be a Polo. Similar size made with current space age light and strong materials. Powered by a 1.2-1.4L 3 cylinder TDI and equipped with a 6 spd manual trans. You have a safe, clean( clean enough to pass emissions standards that make sense ) and quick. A car that in every way is a match for a late 80s Jetta TD. No stupid batteries and electric motors required........

If we had this as an option I would own two of them...........

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I would own one and have my daughter give the Passat to her younger sister. Something like the Polo would mean she would probably burn a gallon of fuel a day. Her commute is about 35 miles each way. All highway, so the best mileage possible.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
Yeah, a Polo sized hybrid with the small diesel would scare the competition into the weeds. I would insert a call to VW here, but I don't think they really care what the rest of us think. Too bad: nothing new to be invented for it - they've already solved the problems. They would have a small commuter with 75 mpg on the highway and 85-90 in town.

Oh, well...