Doin's at Dan's

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Dan,

I might need to come up there one weekend when you have some cars coming in needing some work. I'm getting a real bad itch for some TDI hanging out.:D

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Dan,

I would like to meet you and get the skid plate put on and a couple other things done...I would have to plan carefully though as I am 8 hours away.

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
Most often what you describe is the resistor bank. You can fix it cheaply with thermal fuse from Radioshack.
Be sure to also lubricate your fan bearings. Usually the resistor bank thermal fuse blows because of a dragging fan, giving little cooling air flow and pulling high amps. If you don't fix the root cause, it will just happen again.
Nice tip.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Thanks, TBAD.

I plan to have a fairly low key weekend, but will be around the house most of the time, Friday afternoon through Sunday.
Bowelder is coming over Sunday afternoon about 130 pm to troubleshoot his AC.

Last edited:

NewbeeMC9

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 6-speed
Most often what you describe is the resistor bank. You can fix it cheaply with thermal fuse from Radioshack.
Be sure to also lubricate your fan bearings. Usually the resistor bank thermal fuse blows because of a dragging fan, giving little cooling air flow and pulling high amps. If you don't fix the root cause, it will just happen again.
Thanks Dan, You were right again! The old resistor was shot and rusty, I would dare say that the leaky heater core most likely did it in. Both are fixed now and running pretty good, may need to stop by one day for tweaking,

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Glad it worked out.

I will be working this Friday, Saturday and Sunday (May 4,5,6)with a club and servicemember on his 2006 Jetta, Frank06 cam, Timing belt, DSG service, brake flush...so the lift will probably be taken, but drop by if you need to. 0800 to 1800.

I will be working around the shop tomorrow (Monday April 30) on an AC system for an A4 in the morning, my own car in the afternoon. 0800 to 1800 or so.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
We replaced the Refrigerant Control Valve (RCV), added a tad of oil, and put in a new gasket and drier to Bowelder's 2000 Jetta. This fixed his AC.

If he replaces his radiator and compressor fans (one is intermittent, one is bad), it will probably stay fixed. If not, the excess heat will ruin the new RCV as the old one was ruined.

I hate to see people have to do expensive repairs because they do not check out their fans and keep them working.

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
Many thanks goes out to Dan for his assistance and use of his knowledge and shop. I greatly appreciate it!!!

My new fans are ordered as well as a new timing belt kit, alternator pulley, serpentine belt and tensioner. I've called Daniel Grindstaff as you suggested and we are working out the details and scheduling of my TB install. I will not be running my AC until the new fans are in place.

Question:: can i go ahead and pull the bad fan and be ready when the new one arrives or should I not? Was thinking that the missing fan may throw a code

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
This last weekend we:
Put a cam and TB in a BRM.
Did a brake flush, diesel purge, and DSG service on a BRM.
Located and replaced a split coolant hose on a BRM.
Replaced the DMF and did the DSG service on a BRM.

Thanks to DidJettarun and Osprey_Chief for the help.

I needed to go back to work to get a break!

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Sorry Dan I wanted to make it up there but it didn't work out for me.

It's hard to believe that's all you guys did.:p sheesh!

bowelder

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW golf TDI with tech package
Small fan replaced!!!. My air is so cold now that i really can't have the vents facing me unless i have a long sleeve shirt or jacket

thanks Dan

nickeasy

TDI
Build date 2-11, 2011 Golf 6M 2D TDI
Dan, I am so looking forward to another GTG at your place. Your son installed an OEM steel skid plate last GTG. Being a new Diesel geek (2011 Golf), it is awesome that likeminded people can come together at GTG like yours! Many thanks.

Perry

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I need to replace mine as well, but my wife already won't let the air blow directly on her. :p

I also need to do a timing belt job... :eek:
I know of very, very few wives who want the AC blowing on them, unless they are having a "personal season."

The best reason for replacing the fan is to ensure your AC system lasts as long as possible. With only one fan it runs at higher temperatures and pressures, and it will be shorter lived.

With work, vacations, projects, family events and a GTG in the next few months, I have scant time to help anyone do a TB. I don't work on cars for money. I have trimmed back most work to the friends I already have (having to send even some of them to Asheville and Appalachian Diesel Works), and servicemen.

Come by sometime, I can guide you on the fan repair, and talk to you about other work. Look for a PM.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
No thread yet.
I think there will be a summer GTG at Midlands Biofuels again this year.
Which is good; I would not have time to do one at my place, until the winter one.
More details soon, I hope.

jcilforever

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta (SOLD), 2004 Beetle, 2003 Jetta Wagon (parts car) all manuals all for sale
I hope to have my 17/22 and SBC in my BEW before the next GTG but am wanting to hire $ someone to replace the injectors of course not at a GTG (and be willing to let me help and or hang around, think it might be a litlle too involved) when I get them back form the UK any suggestions on who might be up to the task on a PD? They will be rebuilt PD130s with R783. Can't wait to see friendly faces again.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I helped a member (serviceman) fix his long standing ABS system failure today.
Jimbote donated a Mark 20 system (including shipping) THANKS JIMMY!, we put on a new plug for the ABS motor and it worked like a champ. We did the full brake bleeding, and checked out the ABS functions for each wheel. Everything worked perfectly.

Since we finished that early, we went ahead and put on some new control arm bushings, and a few other piddling jobs.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Are those control arms as easy to remove as they look? I need to do mine sometime this summer.

df

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
For the Mk IV. Mark the 3 ball joint bolts, take them out. 13mm head.
Remove the large bolts one horizontal on the forward end, one vertical on the aft end that is a bolt with a nut on top. 18mm.

They are a pain to get back - the ball joint has to sandwich between the ends of the control arm. But a little finagleing and you can do it. Some plumbing or navy words might be used.

I don't do them often, takes me about 2-3 hours to do them both, including pressing out the old bushings and installing new ones. Less time if you don't need to replace the almost solid horizontal front bushing - and you usually do not. I suspect that a practiced mechanic can do it much more rapidly. Fast I am not.

Unless there is an oil leak, I plan on leaving the solid horizontal front bushing in place.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Thanks Gan.

What's the easiest way to install the front horizonal bushing..... lots of soap and a press...?

I know lots of plumber and navy words. It helps to relive stress. Works better than "serenity now!" lol!

df

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
I forgot, 16mm for the sway bar connection.

Yeah, I use a press for both bushings. You can make up a threaded rod rig to do it, though. Soap is good, sometimes I use a silicone grease on the horizontal front bushing. The problem on the front bushing is the lack of room to get it on a press. If you have a receiver for the bushing (pipe) that is short enough, and a press table that is adaptable enough then you can push the old bushing out and the new one in with a socket of the right size.

DanG144

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 A4 Jetta 5spd
Helped a serviceman today. 2004 Jetta, needed a fuel pump, that fixed many of his symptoms (low power, limp mode.)

But he still has a gremlin in #1 injector, getting an electrical failure code. I am seeing a 16 for injector #1 in MVB 018, as well. Something similar to "implausible beginning of injection."

It looks as if he has an intermittent wiring issue. He will peel out the wiring harness and inspect. Maybe DidJettarun or I can pull the valve cover off and inspect under there as well. The resistance of the coils and wires checked good, of course this is an intermittent issue, so they can check good most of the time.

If we cannot find it fairly soon we can swap two injectors and see where the problem shows up again, to determine if it is the injector itself or the wiring or ECU.