Clutch problem...?

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Drove my tdi last night, no ploblem. Parked it in the garage and this morning it didn't want to go into gear. It was VERY hard to get into gear. Long story short, it's now stuck in 2nd gear. I can't even put it into neutral.

So, does it sound like the clutch?

(2003 Jetta 5-spd, 178k miles)

df

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
If the clutch was behaving normally when you parked it, and the pedal feels normal, then it's more likely a linkage problem.

2005TDI_1994IDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2005, Indigo blue
Check the cable ends going to the shifter, they are plastic and are threaded onto the metal cable, sounds like the shifter end broke or slipped. You can also lift the leather cover at the shifter and check for any problems, but most likely problem at the shifter.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Pedal feels normal.

If clutch is shot, would I still be able to move the shifter in and out of gear?

Right now, the shifter will barely move, and it's stuck in 2nd gear.

df

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I should add:

The car is driveable stuck in 2nd gear. If I press in the clutch pedal, it will dis-engage the clutch.

Thanks,

df

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Generally yes, if the clutch is locked up somehow, you should still be able to select gears. Try lifting a wheel off the ground to relieve whatever drive train tension there may be and try for neutral that way. But you should focus your efforts on linkage at this point.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Yes, the more I think of it, it probably is the linkage, after viewing an article and video on the MK4 linkage.

I'll take a look later today when I get to my TDI.

Thanks everyone for your help.

I'll let you know what I find.

df

Last edited:

PDJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'04 Jetta GLS TDI Pumpe Duce Platinum Grey w/ Leather
I suppose it could also be an internal transmission problem, like a shift fork issue, but I would check all cables and linkages first.

--Nate

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
If it shifts freely with the engine off but becomes difficult/impossible with the engine running it's probably the clutch.

If it won't shift freely even with the engine off it's probably the linkage and/or tranny.

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I checked the linkage under the hood and everything looks fine. The locking lever was not fully in the 90 degree position. It was more like in the 45 degree position. I moved the lever all the way down (9 o'clock position). I was now able to get the lever into the neutral position.

I could now move the shifter through the gears, but it was hanging up some. Everything under the shifter boot looked good. A bit greasy, but nothing looked broken or excessively worn.

Tomorrow, I'll go back and try to adjust the linkage, per the instructional video the Dieselgeeks has on YouTube.

Hopefully that'll fix the problem.

(Anyone think it could be the shifter bushing(s) )

df

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Adjusting the linkage did not fix the problem.

More info:

With the engine off, I can go through the gears, 1-5 and R. Not smooth, but it will go in all gears (with the clutch pedal pushed in).

With the engine on, and clutch pedal pushed in, I cannot get into gears 1-5. If I try putting it into Reverse, it starts to grind, so I back off.

So, I'm thinking clutch....?

df

707DieselDean

TDI
98 Beetle
Lost clutch last week on way home from work..:mad: After getting parts pulled trans to find that the clutch fork had stress cracks and bent.:eek:
Advise to replace fork when you do the clutch.

707DieselDean

TDI
98 Beetle
Normal shifting all day long...Traffic slow ahead...Shift from 5th to 4th and hear a little grind:confused: Thinking to my self(Dummy put the clutch in all the way) Move floor mat and **** from 4th to 3rd (Clutch all the way down) grind again..3rd to 2nd - didn't want to come out of 3rd force into 2nd and got to spot to wait. Waited 3hours for traffic to clear and power shifted home the next 40 miles.
Note: on the 3rd to 2nd shift the clutch wanted to stay on the floor, but returned to up position.

Upon disassembly found that he clutch fork had developed stress cracks and the fork slowly bent on the 3 clutch applications.

Would advise to replace fork when doing an clutch.
How many times do you step on the clutch pedal per trip? Guess how much stress is on that stamped piece of steel?

dieselfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Thanks, guys.

Yes, an new fork, definately. I like to have things done right the first time. I'm not going to save $35 , just to spend a coulpe hundred later on. :>)

I'll post info until it's fixed.