Cross posting...Anyone in Western, TN (i.e. Memphis?)

tinks

TDI
2004 Jetta
I started this thread. I was referred to the regionals. It is suggested I am being fleeced. Can someone help me? I live in Conway, AR about 35 miles outside of Little Rock. I am also posting this in this regional forum because Memphis is only about 2 hours away from us. :D

Ok, so I have three issues cropping up with my car right now. This is bothering the daylights out of me, because I never let anything go on my car. Right now, I have to prioritize because of finances.

Here goes:

2004 Jetta TDI, bought with 1 prior owner in early 2006 with 40k miles on it. It now has 148k miles on it. I have had every scheduled maintenance on it within 1-2k miles of it being due including oil changes, timing belt etc. I love my little Jetta and plan to keep it for quite a while. I commute 35 miles each way to work and though I do ride my motorcycle as often as possible, I usually wind up needing to drive 3x a week so my car gets quite a bit of highway miles.

I have had a recent Panzer Plate installation after the loss of a 2nd acoustic shield. Right now my car has the following known issues:

CV Boot on passenger side has slight crack and a bit of seepage. There are no symptoms to this problem right now, but it looks like I will need an axle at some point. My car gets regular 4-wheel alignments, tire rotations and I keep my pressures checked weekly. I always get four new tires and I got 70k miles out of my last set of tires. ($350)

Oil pan drain plug is buggered up. This is what I get after our local dealer changed my oil while I was getting some warranty/recall work done by them at the request of corporate VW instead of my regular mechanic doing it. :mad::mad::mad::mad: Well...that and an overly tightened oil filter cover :mad:) so now my plug has a slight leak and I have to get a new oil pan. ($575) I cannot express how upset I am over this. Really. I am beside myself and want to puke about it.

Timing belt service incl. water pump, etc. (at 160k miles) and with my commuting, this means it will come up pretty quickly. ($1,000)

This is a good $2k worth of work that I have to save for and I have kids, a job (thank goodness) and am a 1/2 time student so this stuff doesn't come easily. I am confident I do not have the skill to tackle the timing belt service, I would be pretty leery about the axle and I haven't yet found how hard/easy the oil pan may be. My skills are basic, but solid.

Can I get some advice on how to prioritize these things? It drives me absolutely crazy to think that anything is undone on any vehicle (hell, I had a mechanic check the specs on the valves on my bike and do the 12k service, but just the fact that the 'time to service the engine code' wasn't reset is driving me bonkers :eek:). I only get uptight about maintaining my vehicle because it is paid for, I love it and I understand the value of preventative maintenance.:D

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
Fleeced??? That's putting it mildly...

$113 for an oil pan from ID parts...that's the steel bottom upgrade pan. I would try replacing the drain bolt with a new one. Unless it's stripped, the bolt has a metal sealing washer that can deform.

$350 Had better be the whole axle, including a generous labor allowance.

I don't think a 4 wheel alignment can be done on your car. An A4 has a beam rear axle, and I don't think your car is any different.

$1k for a timing belt may be a bit high, and it had better include all the bolts, tensioners, and water pump.

I think you need to look up one of the list's guru's.

That said I do all my own service because I just don't trust mechanics.

tinks

TDI
2004 Jetta
If I could do the service I would.

The bolt is stripped.

The cv boot was the whole axle because I was told it was easier to replace the axle than to do just the CV boot. I heard that from multiple sources.

I have had 4wheel alignments before, though the last time they said there was a variance in the camber that was uncorrectable. I cannot interpret that further.

The 1k is for everything including the water pump.

So, putting into perspective does this still seem reasonable or unreasonable for our region?

The Shootist

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 New Beetle GLS TDI
Probably reasonable....

Since the axle would be replaced you could put that off until it starts making noise.

There used to be over-sized plugs for the oil pan on some cars, but i don't know about the TDI. I think the quote for the oil pan is high the pan is Less that $120 and changing is pretty easy. Less than 2 hours labor. I would JB weld the plug in and use a top-side oil change system, but i use a top-side changer anyway.

The $1k price for the timing belt is comparable to dealer pricing. (A friend was quoted $1200 here, but she also just paid $900 for an alternator)

tinks

TDI
2004 Jetta
Probably reasonable....

Since the axle would be replaced you could put that off until it starts making noise.

There used to be over-sized plugs for the oil pan on some cars, but i don't know about the TDI. I think the quote for the oil pan is high the pan is Less that $120 and changing is pretty easy. Less than 2 hours labor. I would JB weld the plug in and use a top-side oil change system, but i use a top-side changer anyway.

The $1k price for the timing belt is comparable to dealer pricing. (A friend was quoted $1200 here, but she also just paid $900 for an alternator)
How do you do a top side oil change, what equipment would I need? I don't mind changing the oil myself if I have the proper equipment. My dad did make me do 'some' wrench turning when I was younger. LOL!

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Last edited:

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
Look in the trusted mechanics thread. There is a mobile TDI repair person that comes to you. I think MO and ARK are his prime travel areas.

tdijettadiesel MAY be his username........

tinks

TDI
2004 Jetta
Look in the trusted mechanics thread. There is a mobile TDI repair person that comes to you. I think MO and ARK are his prime travel areas.

tdijettadiesel MAY be his username........
Ok, you have piqued my curiosity. I can't find a reference to this in the Trusted Mechanics by state nor can I find this screen name. Would you provide me a link please?