TDI to Ford Ranger M5OD-R1 adapter

83stang

TDI
1998 Dodge Ram 2500 Cummins Diesel
I've done a bit of research on adapting a TDI to a Ford Ranger M5OD-R1. I've figured out that a TDI friction plate is 228mm which converts to 8.976" in diameter, a ford ranger friction plate is 8.875" in diameter so my question is if you were to machine a pilot bushing out of Oil Lite, press it into the TDI, and bolted a ford 8 7/8" friction plate between a VW pressure plate and VW flywheel, then come up with the necessary adapter plate between the engine and bellhousing do you think this combo would work?

83stang

TDI
I'm not too crazy about using the Toyota transmission because I'd like to save myself the hassle of coming up with new drive shafts, speedo and tranny mounts. I'd like to keep the ranger transmission so it's almost bolt in except for motor mounts.

Ya I've read that TDI ranger thread quite a few times haha, he actually used the ford flywheel. I have access to a machine shop so i could redrill the ford flywheel, but the more simple i could adapt the better. By the LukeWilson, nice job with your truck, your threads one of my inspirations to try putting something like this together.

I'm not sure the thickness on the friction plate, i know you can buy the ranger friction separately at the auto parts store, maybe i should go down there and ask if i can see the part and measure it, or ask on the ranger forums. does anybody know that info here?

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
you can use a smaller disc...as long as the thickness is correct....most are the same (at least for passenger cars/light trucks) ....one thing is you still may have to move the engine/tranny forward for water outlet/vacuum pump clearance (depending on your engine choice)...so you may have to get a custom driveshaft made anyway

83stang

TDI
Hmm good point, I'm looking at using an AHU motor if that makes a difference in the water outlet and vacuum pump clearance. What is the thickness of the VW plate for comparison? I would really like to start gathering parts and put together the engine and tranny then find a suitable truck to put it in. By the way this board is really responsive and helpful.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
the AHU still has a water outlet...but you should have slightly less grief not having to clearance for the ALH vacc pump....I'm pretty sure the ACME adapter is 3/8" thick ....

83stang

TDI
I just looked up a picture of the back of an AHU i see what you mean about the water outlet being on the back of it. It looks like it doesn't stick out too much, one thing at a time though, if i can get the clutch setup working with a ranger clutch disk and VW flywheel and pressure plate then i think that would be a big hurdle to over come and would keep things cheap. One thing that scares me is if you start making to many custom parts then it will be hard to replace them in the future.

Static

TDI
2001 Jetta
I'm guessing that starter is going to have to mount to the ford tranny. So you might want to considder that if the VW flywheel is not the same size/toothcount as the ford flywheel you might run into starter engagement problems.

Just another thing to considder

83stang

TDI
Well i plan on using the VW starter, so i'm going to try to adapt that aswell. Also in that TDI ranger thread apparently he used a stock tdi starter to turn over the ford flywheel which should work vice versa in theory, but thanks for pointing that out. One thing at a time, the most important thing is trying to gather parts now to start finding out these fitment issues before i buy the vehicle and try to convert. Now to Kijiji to find parts!