Which to buy? Jetta TDI 2014 or 2015?

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Considering a Jetta TDI from 2014 or 2015, manual transmission only. I know the main (exhaust) difference is the DEF in the 2015 models. Would the DEF system be a major concern given it was the first year it was required? Would there be anything else I should be concerned about between the two years?

Any thoughts are welcome.....

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
The ea288 engine is also new for 2015 new design modular engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta GLS TDI Deceased 11/2012, 2004 Jetta GL TDI Sold, 2012 Jetta TDI (Retruned to VW), 2004 Jetta TDI GLS 5spd
Have there been any noteworthy issues with that engine?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
Have there been any noteworthy issues with that engine?
Cooling system leaks not a big problem..I have had mine since new now 55K miles no problems
As a result of the Post below this I will post an explanation as stated below there have been a few complaints of leaks in the Cooling system no many at all.....I would only buy a 2015 with an EA288 motor......And I have experienced nearly every TDI motor
And I haven’t had a problem....

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
What cooling system problem? They've experienced a few water pump failures, but the replacement water pumps aren't adjustable and work fine. And I've only heard of this in a handful of cars.

I think the '15 engine is far superior to the '11-14. Should also deliver better real-world FE because Adblue allows more tuning flexibility. Also, the '15 was updated to improve offset crash results, so the body is stiffer and quieter.

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta

I have a 2015 and would recommend it. It gets 50 MPG on the highway at 70 MPH with a DSG. Hand calculated. The only problems I have had was with the seat belt height adjuster and a rattle under the dash. Both fixed.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
Well thank you guys! I was not expecting the good feedback on the 2015's. I always hesitate with new engines and transmissions, but these are in use in other parts of the globe with little trouble AFAIK. Glad to know they seem to be solid.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
That drivetrain has been around for 5 years in Europe. No major issues, emissions notwithstanding. ;)

TDI
2015 Jetta SEL
I've had my 2015 for just over a year. Got a great price off the buy-buyback program with VW dealer. I've put about 25k miles on it (lots of highway) and have averaged around 44 mpg even through a northern midwest winter with my best tank at 49 mpg. The engine gives a soft, elegant, diesel growl, and I'm glad I opted for the '15 over a '14.

hikertdi

TDI
2000 Jetta GLS(Sold), 2009 Jetta DSG (Buyback), 2015 Jetta TDI SE DSG, 2015 Jetta TDI SE 6-MT
I have a pair of 2015 SEs, a manual and DSG (his and hers). The manual was bought used with 40K in 7/17, the DSG as a leftover in 4/17. A notable difference to me over a pre2015 aside from the engine improvements already mentioned is the Gen 3 extended emissions warranty. 11yrs from original sale date or 162K miles on all things emissions, fuel pump, turbo and so on.

I did just have the DEF supply line replaced on the 2015 manual @ 57K, its VIN was in suspect range. The dealer so far has taken care of it free of charge. I noticed the issue doing a routine oil change. Nothing else to complain about aside from both have squeeky driver windows.

Had an 09 DSG prior - the MKV was an awesome car, but I could not refuse the buyback - and got the 2015 DSG to replace it. My wife still says she preferred the 09 over the 15, mainly for her belief the 09 had more "gitty up". The 15 DSG does have better economy mpg over the 09 DSG (pre fix), something like 42mpg vs 45mpg avg so far (real calc) The 2015 mpg meter is way off in both manual and DSG.

I absolutely enjoy my manual 15 SE which made a fine replacement for my 2000 MKIV 5 sp manual. The 15 is just slightly lower economy so far compared to the '00 manual. The 15 is more powerful for sure, but not by as much as the numbers might make you think.

since you list an 04 manual in your signature- I'll also share how I find myself shifting between 4th and 5th alot (around town) where '00 would be perfectly happy to hold 5th gear. And on the hiway, much under 60mph and a downshift down to 5th may be needed when real acceleration is desired. Despite that - I'll take the manual everyday I can!

Last edited:

curtludwig

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 Jetta, 2005 Golf
I moved to my 2015 from a 1998, its been a big step up. I was very pleased to not lose any fuel economy while gaining a boatload of power and comfort. I'm enjoying having a car with working AC ;) .

I'm averaging 50mpg over the 12,000 miles or so I've owned it so far. The only thing I really dislike is the oil filter location which requires jacking the car up and pulling the belly pan. Anybody who tells you it can be replaced from the top doesn't know what they're talking about. And just a tip, remember to plug the wire thats in the way back in before you put the belly pan back on...

CheapBastard

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 JSW
As my name implies I looked for the best possible deal I could find on a TDI and that meant a ‘14 over a ‘15. I’m getting 30 mpg with city driving but if I knew I could get another 10mpg I may have looked into the ‘15 a little deeper, maybe I didn’t do enough pre purchase homework but so far I’m really happy with the car.

carnotgas

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta
Squeaky windows

My dealer repaired the squeaky windows under warranty.

I have a pair of 2015 SEs, a manual and DSG (his and hers). The manual was bought used with 40K in 7/17, the DSG as a leftover in 4/17. A notable difference to me over a pre2015 aside from the engine improvements already mentioned is the Gen 3 extended emissions warranty. 11yrs from original sale date or 162K miles on all things emissions, fuel pump, turbo and so on.

I did just have the DEF supply line replaced on the 2015 manual @ 57K, its VIN was in suspect range. The dealer so far has taken care of it free of charge. I noticed the issue doing a routine oil change. Nothing else to complain about aside from both have squeeky driver windows.

Had an 09 DSG prior - the MKV was an awesome car, but I could not refuse the buyback - and got the 2015 DSG to replace it. My wife still says she preferred the 09 over the 15, mainly for her belief the 09 had more "gitty up". The 15 DSG does have better economy mpg over the 09 DSG (pre fix), something like 42mpg vs 45mpg avg so far (real calc) The 2015 mpg meter is way off in both manual and DSG.

I absolutely enjoy my manual 15 SE which made a fine replacement for my 2000 MKIV 5 sp manual. The 15 is just slightly lower economy so far compared to the '00 manual. The 15 is more powerful for sure, but not by as much as the numbers might make you think.

since you list an 04 manual in your signature- I'll also share how I find myself shifting between 4th and 5th alot (around town) where '00 would be perfectly happy to hold 5th gear. And on the hiway, much under 60mph and a downshift down to 5th may be needed when real acceleration is desired. Despite that - I'll take the manual everyday I can!

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI

I had a 2012 TDI Jetta manual that VW bought back. I bought my 2004 while all the emissions crap got sorted out. Now I'm looking to get back into a newer car. I liked the '12 quite a bit. Drove nicely - and it had a tune in it, which made it more fun of course. There are some '13, '14, and '15's in the area but my local dealer (stealer for certain) has them at some of the highest prices around. So, I wanted to see what the general consensus was before making the decision to look a little farther way.

I will only buy a manual transmission cuz that's all I've ever driven, and I enjoy it. There are some Passats out there with a manual transmission, but the Jettas are much easier to come by. I could live with either one quite frankly.

Thanks again for all the information and opinions. Much appreciated!

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
Okay. Once more.

I've been hanging around the fuel economy discussion group as of late. It seems there are multiple people complaining of poor economy and plugged DPF's after getting the "fix". Are these more isolated cases or more common cases? Has anyone heard of a single common issue that is addressing these problems?

IBW or OilHammer? What do you guys think? Hope you see this...

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
Also note that the fixed cars won't run like the tuned one you drove.

And if you tune the one you buy, you're essentially voiding the extended emissions warranty.

Given all of the above and my experience with our 2014, I'd also suggest a 2015 model.

ffemtp

Veteran Member
TDI
No intention to tune the new one as of yet. I'm still shopping around. No immediate need, but not too long off.

I had a tune put in my 01 and that really woke the car up - it was nice. My 2012 had a tune in it when I bought it - bonus! So, I really don't know how the new(er) ones run / drive yet without a tune. May not really need one at first. I would wait until the extended warranty is off before making that change. Sounds like most are in support of a 2015. Likely what I will end up with, unless a screaming deal pops up otherwise. :)

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I would look for a 2015 Golf. Unbelievable difference in quality, ride, etc. between the Golfs which are mostly German-made vs. the Mexican-assembled Jettas.

Good luck in your search.

alext91

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI 6MT Pano (Sold), 2015 Golf S 4DR 6MT (Sold), 1999.5 Jetta TDI Tornado Red (Sold)
Agreed, my wife has a 2015 Golf manual, and it is loads quieter and gets far better fuel economy than my 2013 Jetta Sportwagen. We've had the car for 13k miles now and haven't had to add any adblue (yet). I actually just preemptively ordered 5gal today from IDParts along with new front brakes, hers have started to warp. Regardless, I was hesitant about the newer motors at first, but feedback seems overwhelmingly positive about the 2015s. I just preferred the more direct feel and driving experience of the 2013 myself. Good luck with your search!

Just sum dudes TDI

TDI
2013 golf wagon
I don't know what area of the world you live in... but this is the guy I got mine from... he's in central Canada.
Good price, HUGE shop, will do any repairs you need. he swapped a front and a rear bearing on the spot to make the sale...While I ran 2 towns over to get the insurance filled out.
He buys anything TDI he can get his hands on, and his website is rarely up to date with his stock. but he usually has a few TDI Golfs and Jetta's sitting around.

I got mine(last summer - 2018) for 12,800$ Canadian all taxes in, 2013 TDI golf wagon, manual, 129000KM... so about 9800$ & 80-90K miles? not sure what it would work to with import fees and such...

http://www.dasgarage.ca/