Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
That would be a disaster for those of us used to yellow diesel pumps. From what it sounds like, it would be nice if there was some uniformity across Canada and the US regarding pump handle colours, especially with the amount of traffic back and forth across the border.
I don't know, maybe it is just me, but if I am spending 3 minutes infront of a pump putting my card in the reader, typing in my numbers and answering all those damn choices they put on the screens, I am sure as H3LL going to recognise the word DIESEL as it is written 6" from my face in 5" high leters on the pump.... :rolleyes::eek:

MrVermin
*sorry...sometimes it is hard not to be sarcastic when I've had a bad day*

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 Jetta TDI SE / '06 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg0 / '96 Passat TDI
Oh, I find my sarcasm flows like water when I've had a bad day!:eek:

Not much of a fill up story:
I just finished filling up & noting the particulars on my receipt when I notice a Vega pulling in. Not just any Vega...what appears to be an all original 1976 Cosworth! You don't get to see one of those every day!

Tony

TheFonz

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
I don't know, maybe it is just me, but if I am spending 3 minutes infront of a pump putting my card in the reader, typing in my numbers and answering all those damn choices they put on the screens, I am sure as H3LL going to recognise the word DIESEL as it is written 6" from my face in 5" high leters on the pump.... :rolleyes::eek:

MrVermin
A bit of a PITA when you're trying to judge from a distance which pump to pull in front of, especially when trying to navigate through a busy station and the diesel pump is burried in there and kind of hidden. :rolleyes:

dbwill

TDI
2011 JSW 6M
All I've had recently is gassers pulling up to the combo pump. In every case a quick "do you mind using a different pump this is the only diesel one" gets a quick sheepish look and they quickly and pleasantly move. Only change from that was the day when all bays were full and I sat on the open hatch of the JSW waiting patiently for the gasser at the combo pump to finish. Apparently gas pump kept clicking off before full so she left quickly in frustration with about a half tank. Not sure what could have caused that, those shutoffs seem pretty simple.

TheFonz

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
All I've had recently is gassers pulling up to the combo pump. In every case a quick "do you mind using a different pump this is the only diesel one" gets a quick sheepish look and they quickly and pleasantly move. Only change from that was the day when all bays were full and I sat on the open hatch of the JSW waiting patiently for the gasser at the combo pump to finish. Apparently gas pump kept clicking off before full so she left quickly in frustration with about a half tank. Not sure what could have caused that, those shutoffs seem pretty simple.
I would sometimes notice that too, more often at colder temperatures from my own experience. I've had it happen to me multiple times filling gasoline (last car was a gasser and my wife has a gasser) and a few days ago at a diesel pump. If she would have eased up a bit on the nozzle, that would have solved the issue and she'd have a full tank, just a minute or 2 later.

I'd rather deal with that then a pump that doesn't click off at all. The first time that happened to me, I had the fuel cap holding the nozzle open and was paying attention to the pump readout not even looking at the nozzles and then I heard a pouring sound :eek: I never did that again. Lesson learned; if there is a safety mechanism on anything, assume it's broken and expect the worst.

JettaTdiSport

TDI
2004 Jetta Tdi Sport
I'd rather deal with that then a pump that doesn't click off at all. The first time that happened to me, I had the fuel cap holding the nozzle open and was paying attention to the pump readout not even looking at the nozzles and then I heard a pouring sound :eek: I never did that again. Lesson learned; if there is a safety mechanism on anything, assume it's broken and expect the worst.
Just like the time I was filling my old beast Chev. I had to fill both tanks, one per side (stupid chev) so I filled one side, had the attendant hold the nozzle while I turned around. He proceeded to fill the other side for me so I was messing around with the tool box I had in the back. We were chatting about nothing and I heard a gushing sound. "Oooops" he says. No offer to take off the price of a couple litres. Still charged me the full plus overfull amount and laughed the whole time. Never went back to that station with that truck.

On another note, I filled up the Jetta yesterday and actually had the guy ask " you want a fill on diesel?" I've always had to ask for diesel or do it myself. Finally someone is paying attention.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Some filler necks just don't work well with the auto shutoffs, especially if the pump is too high volume.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All I've had recently is gassers pulling up to the combo pump. In every case a quick "do you mind using a different pump this is the only diesel one" gets a quick sheepish look and they quickly and pleasantly move.
I've used something similar...Lady and I pull up tot eh combo pump: She abnd the kids get out to go into the convenience store. I ask, "Would you mind moving your truck, I only need 1 gallon of diesel." She had this look on her face of TOTAL confusion for about 5 seconds before she got back in to park the truck. I wound up filling 2 gallons, just because she didn't immediately come back outside.

Some filler necks just don't work well with the auto shutoffs, especially if the pump is too high volume.
Back in the day, Dad had a '75 F350 with dual tanks. The front tank would CONSTANTLY trip the auto shutoff. I took to filling that tank with the handle inverted (upside down), so that it would fill the tank, instead of shutting of 10-20x.
That was also the truck my brother and I 'double pumped'. We borrowed Dad's truck, and had to fill up both tanks. So, as we pulled in, I looked at my brother and asked, "You wanna double pump it?"..."Yeah", he said with a grin. So, both tanks just about lined up with 2 pumps. As we filled both tanks, the attendant came out with a confused look on his face, with the little clipboard. He looked at me a little confused: He said, "I'm not sure how to handle this, I think you'll have to wait until the owner gets back." I looked at my brother, then at the attendant and said, " You have 2 lines on the recipt, right?" "Add the 2 lines, then fill in the total - that's how much you charge to the card." I still don't think he got it, but he did it anyway.:rolleyes::eek:

Tony

mrvermin

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Filled up at gas station the other day...

I love some PetroCan stations where you can actually block all three pumps with a Compact Car when trying to fill with diesel LOL :rolleyes:

Someone should really just slap the station designer upside the head sometimes..... LOL

MrVermin

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Someone should really just slap the station designer upside the head sometimes..... LOL
Sometimes? There are MANY roads and freeway on-ramps, where I would have liked to slap the Civil Engineer(s) that laid out that drawing!

Tony

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Some of the stations around here won't pump diesel at full stream into the JSW. Have to use the first setting, which takes a little longer.

I pulled in to get fuel the other day and there is only one diesel combo. Most other pumps are empty and there's a BMW sitting in front of the diesel one. He comes out and motions for me to pull around and I tell him I need diesel. He replies that he's sorry but has already prepaid on that pump. Couldn't figure out why he had to be at that one when others were open.

That Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 MKiv Golf TDI
Sometimes? There are MANY roads and freeway on-ramps, where I would have liked to slap the Civil Engineer(s) that laid out that drawing!

Tony
I second that.

There are many times when I've gotten dirty stares (or at least though I did) as I blocked off all three pumps.

Many stations around here have that same layout.

The other issue that often pops up is that I have to face the opposite way as most other cars to fill up...as the fuel cap is on the passenger side.
When there's a busy station, people often must think that I'm trying to jump the queue by coming in from the opposite way that everyone else is facing.
Some of those hoses are a bit short, and I hate scuffing my paint to pull the hose around the car to fill up. So I'll back in, or come in from the other direction.
But if I do wait in line...when I get to the pumps I sometimes have to sit there and wait for the car in front to finish and get out of the way before I can pull up enough to fill up with diesel....in the meantime, I'm blocking a gas pump...which must be aggravating to the people behind me.

It's rare to have a station that's that busy here though. And I haven't had anyone every give me more than a dirty stare.

Sayray24

TDI
1998 VW Jetta
there is a station in Ft. Shawnee, OH (just south of Lima, OH) that has about a dozen pumps ALL of which are gas/diesel combos. it is so nice not having to worry about if a gasser is hogging the only diesel pump.

TonyJetta

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The other issue that often pops up is that I have to face the opposite way as most other cars to fill up...as the fuel cap is on the passenger side.
When there's a busy station, people often must think that I'm trying to jump the queue by coming in from the opposite way that everyone else is facing.
I get that a lot, when I have to fill up in the evening. The station we use, discounts $0.10 per $100 spent at the store. FYI...buying Amazon, etc. gift cards count towards the purchase. I was able to fill up both TDI's and 7 gallons in jerry cans at $0.60/gal off! Back to the story...there are only 4 combo pump in a field of Gas pumps. Most people use...drum roll...the combo pumps! Don't ask me why: I don't know!

Tony

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta and Wagon, GLS 5sp
Finally have a legit story!

Was riding passenger, teaching my brother to drive. We went to fuel up, and pulling into the gas station and waiting for a spot to clear up, I noticed a guy pumping diesel into his Nissan Pathfinder. I ran over quickly, and asked if he's sure he wants to pump diesel into that. He says yes it takes diesel, in a foreign accent. I ask him if he's sure, and he says yes! Two women come out from the other side, and one asks the direction to the airport. The guy tells me the nozzle didn't fit into the hole, but he still managed to fill it up.

I told him there are no diesel SUVs like that over here and that it takes "GASOLINE", and wished him a good luck getting his rental back before it stops running.

naturist

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 2005 Jeep Libby CRD, 2012 BMW X5 35d
I note that poster @snakeye is in Canada, and I confess that I do not know all that much about what vehicles with which engines are available there, but I do know that there ARE "SUVs like" the Nissan Pathfinder that have been available in the States with a diesel engine, and which he might find on the street in Canada, if for no other reason than he's close to the border. I do NOT think there have been Nissan Pathfinders in diesel, but SUVs for sure: I drive one of them, a Jeep Liberty CRD.

It is quite likely that his Pathfinder driving, foreign accent speaking acquaintance was indeed misfueling his rental. I'm just doubting his blanket statement about there being NO diesel SUVs "over here."

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
I note that poster @snakeye is in Canada, and I confess that I do not know all that much about what vehicles with which engines are available there, but I do know that there ARE "SUVs like" the Nissan Pathfinder that have been available in the States with a diesel engine, and which he might find on the street in Canada, if for no other reason than he's close to the border. I do NOT think there have been Nissan Pathfinders in diesel, but SUVs for sure: I drive one of them, a Jeep Liberty CRD.

It is quite likely that his Pathfinder driving, foreign accent speaking acquaintance was indeed misfueling his rental. I'm just doubting his blanket statement about there being NO diesel SUVs "over here."
Trust me I hang around this forum enough to know about the CR Jeep. :D I may not even have even used the word SUV; might have just said "we don't have any of those in diesel over here".

I was pretty sure there were no diesel pathfinders in Canada, but started doubting myself when he told me it was in fact diesel. I had to try sticking the nozzle into the hole myself to be sure.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
i would have followed the guy to the rental place, see if it konked out on him

TheFonz

TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Trust me I hang around this forum enough to know about the CR Jeep. :D I may not even have even used the word SUV; might have just said "we don't have any of those in diesel over here".

I was pretty sure there were no diesel pathfinders in Canada, but started doubting myself when he told me it was in fact diesel. I had to try sticking the nozzle into the hole myself to be sure.
You are correct. There is no diesel version of the Pathfinder in Canada. The only engine available, according to the Nissan Canada website, 4.0-litre DOHC V6 engine with 266 HP and 288 lb-ft of torque, and I'm sure that this engine is gasoline.

I'd sure like to see the look on his face when he tried to drive that thing back to the car rental place :eek:

Dieselfitter

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW TDI with DSG
Used JDM from Japan Possibly

Finally have a legit story!
Was riding passenger, teaching my brother to drive. We went to fuel up, and pulling into the gas station and waiting for a spot to clear up, I noticed a guy pumping diesel into his Nissan Pathfinder. I ran over quickly, and asked if he's sure he wants to pump diesel into that. He says yes it takes diesel, in a foreign accent. I ask him if he's sure, and he says yes! Two women come out from the other side, and one asks the direction to the airport. The guy tells me the nozzle didn't fit into the hole, but he still managed to fill it up.

I told him there are no diesel SUVs like that over here and that it takes "GASOLINE", and wished him a good luck getting his rental back before it stops running.
Did you assume that it was a Rental because they asked directions to the Airport. Or....

It could have been a JDM from Japan (15 years old or older) and with a Diesel Engine. Or....

It might have been a North American one, and The Gasser went south,so he put in a JDM used engine from Japan. You can get a low mileage JDM engine like new for way less than what it would cost to overhaul the Gasser.

A diesel Pathfinder would be NEAT.

snakeye

Veteran Member
TDI
It was obviously a rental car. They didn't know where the airport was and they really seemed like foreigners to me.

I'm sure where he was from, bigger vehicles were all diesel.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
But doesn't everyone in Montreal sound like a foreigner? At least they do to me since I am currently sitting in a hotel in Laval. :)

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
Well if they were from Europe, they would likely never have seen a gasser Pathfinder. Must have just thought that's absurd! ;)

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
There are a great many vehicles, including pickups and SUVs, which ought not be offered with gasoline engines. It is absurd that that most are not available with diesel engines.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Pulled into McDonald's last night in my 03 Passat. As I got out, a guy came up to asking if it was a diesel and then proceeded to talk to me for another 5 minutes about the VW diesels. He was really interested in the high mileage being reported for the Passats. He then went and got in his old MB diesel.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
When did McD's start selling Diesel? are they offereing their own blend of Bio from their fry oil? that'd be sweet.