Trans life question. Performance dmf or smf with fluid & damper, any conclusive fix?

Darren_0203

TDI
2012 mk6
Trans life question. Performance dmf or smf with fluid & damper, any conclusive fix?

I've stalked the forums for about 2 weeks before posting anything and I've done several hours of research so I dont have to ask to many questions about already discussed topics.

Has there been any conclusive fix to the 6spd mk6 2.0 clatter/syncro issue? I'd really like to not ruin my transmission. Does the dampner and heavier gear oil fix this or are syncros still going out with the smf setup? Am I better off getting the sach performance dmf clutch kit from darkside? Or said dmf with dampner and fluid?

My car is stock now, I'm getting a stage 2 malone tune(otw) to make it fun to drive but do intend going farther in the future

travis45

Veteran Member
TDI
14 Sportwagen, 96 Passat TDI Sedan
I haven't heard of any one not having problems with a smf.

If we're my car I'd stick with the dmf.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Yep, stick with DMF. The sachs SRE with organic disc feels just like stock and will hold around 400ft-lbs. No need for different fluid or the fluidampr with using DMF

Yourbuddysatin

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta tdi
Stock feel is key. Going from my cars to my truck is horrid. The clutch in big red is so stiff my foot hurts by the time in done driving it. Why not keep a good pedal feel and performance at the same time!!

Darren_0203

TDI
2012 mk6
I appreciate all the info. I've searched, reading posts from from 2012 or 2015 or whenever, I wasn't sure if this issue was ever figured out, I definitely feel better moving forward with this eventual build.

The Sachs sre kit is where I was leaning, does anyone know if the motor and tranny hold up if I get near that 390ft-lbs with more air and fuel?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
The input shaft will start to flex and separate from the output shaft north of 400ft-lbs (there's a user in the UK, xjay1337 on here, that was around 430ft-lbs and was holding up for them). There's an input shaft support bracket for that, but I don't think you'll be anywhere near that power level unless you get some head/cam work and much larger turbo.

Last edited:

Darren_0203

TDI
2012 mk6
The input shaft will start to flex and separate from the output shaft north of 400ft-lbs (there's a user in the UK, xjay1337 on here, that was around 430ft-lbs and was holding up for them). There's an input shaft support bracket for that, but I don't think you'll be anywhere near that power level unless you get some head/cam work and much larger turbo.
I was thinking after the clutch and eventual exhaust, getting that upcoming malone stage 4 kit, but not sure what all it comes with and how daily drivable it will be at that point. My other car is a clk55 amg with an exhaust and suspension that ive been dding since my Colorado kicked the bucket a year and a half ago so I'm used to a quick car with a stiff ride. Although I have no idea how fast a tdi golf would actually be at that 400ft-lb point.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
remember we only hear about what goes wrong here, not the millions of cars that dont have issues!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
remember we only hear about what goes wrong here, not the millions of cars that dont have issues!
The 02q gearboxes have steel synchros (except for the first year or so after they replaced the 02m). Steel doesn't tolerate the vibrations from diesel ignition pulses that transmit through the crankshaft, that's what the DMF's purpose is. There are a couple cases where people made it past 20k miles, but that's not good enough for most people here. Taking the gearbox off and apart is not the most fun task (I've done it twice on my '15). DMF is quiet and smooth and keeps things working, it will need replacing eventually but not every oil change internal.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's a picture of 02M vs 02Q synchros. At some point early on, the 02Q did have the same output shaft that was used in the 02M and therefore had brass. But after that, they went to a newer style steel synchro (cost cutting likely). I know of at least one 02Q in a 2015 GSW that was converted to brass by swapping out the 02M 1-4 gear output shaft. Some part number crunching would be necessary to see what exactly is needed, or if it's an easy swap. Finding used would be your best bet, these pieces are not cheap at all from the dealer!

Darren_0203

TDI
2012 mk6
Is there a tranny swap that works for this car? I ask because I got the malone stage 2 installed yesterday and while it's much more fun to drive you still have to beat it to have fun, first and second gear are so short and you have to use them to set your rpm where you need them for the next gear(hopefully I said that in a way that makes sense). Maybe that's how little hatchback manual cars have to be driven, it's been awhile since I had one. The amg is effortless in the way you drive around and hammer down, it doesnt feel at all like your beating it to death, maybe I'm used to that, idk

Is there any aftermarket syncros or kits?

It's my dd so I dont want to have it apart for months.

Last edited: