I forgot about the 12/31/18 deadline...

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
No excuse... just stupidity. I know I can still get stage 2 done on my 2015. Has anyone had any luck getting their remaining 1/3 settlement if they missed the deadline?

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I don't think that deadline applies if you've already filed for, and received, the stage 1 fix and payment for same. VW was supposed to tell you when stage 2 was due, and this wasn't necessarily going to be by the end of 2018.

If you bought a car with stage 1 already applied, and thus you didn't submit a claim, I think you are out of luck.

jonferns

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 Golf
I don't think that deadline applies if you've already filed for, and received, the stage 1 fix and payment for same. VW was supposed to tell you when stage 2 was due, and this wasn't necessarily going to be by the end of 2018.

If you bought a car with stage 1 already applied, and thus you didn't submit a claim, I think you are out of luck.

If you bought a car with phase 1 already applied, you weren't going to get any payment anyway. You can still get phase 2 done after the 12/31 date. I dropped mine off yesterday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I am the original owner of the car and had stage 1 done. Here is the email they sent me:

Based on the documents and information you have provided as part of your claim with Reference No. xxxxxxxxxx, you are not eligible to receive the final 1/3 restitution payment under the 2.0-Liter Settlement Claims Program because you did not have Phase 2 of the Approved Emissions Modification performed on your vehicle by the December 30, 2018 deadline.

You may still have the second phase of the AEM performed on your vehicle free of charge, but you will not receive any additional compensation under the Settlement Program.

If you believe you are entitled to claim benefits under the TDI Settlement Claims Program, you may appeal this ineligibility determination to the Court-appointed Claims Review Committee. The Claims Review Committee is composed of one representative from Volkswagen, one representative from Settlement Class Counsel and a Court-appointed “Neutral” who will be called upon to resolve disagreements between the Claims Committee’s other members, should they arise. To submit an appeal to the Claims Review Committee, you must send a written request to appeal to the Claims Review Committee, P.O. Box 214500, Auburn Hills, MI 48321 or crc@vwcourtsettlement.com.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Well there is your answer. They aren't in the forgiveness business and are pretty firm on the deadlines that have been set. Get phase 2 done and move on.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
bummer, at least you'll still have the extended warranty. Also, don't feel bad you're prob not the only one to miss out on a few extra bucks from VW.

chief poncho

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Well there is your answer. They aren't in the forgiveness business and are pretty firm on the deadlines that have been set. Get phase 2 done and move on.

Ironic how they are firm on their deadlines for owners, but never met any of the court directed deadlines for claims processing.

Zoso

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
It is a bummer but I have no one to blame but myself. I was putting it off so the replacement parts would last longer and just forgot about the deadline. It would have been nice if they sent a reminder email but giving away extra money isn't in their best interest. :mad:

My plan was to wait to get it done when the car is close to 100,000 miles. The extended warranty is ending then too and I wanted to get the fan blower replaced. It chirps/squeaks under initial acceleration from a stop. The car is at 97k.

MGCJM

TDI
2015 Passat
Zoso, I am in your same situation. I was waiting for my 60K tune up (with oil change) and thats when i was going in for my second and final modification. I do NOT recall ever hearing about any 31 dec deadline -until 10 Jan 2019. Now I have submitted an appeal per their instructions. It is unacceptable to me that they know who I am enough to inform me via US postal service that i missed their deadline - but the dealer who i have seen twice in the past 6 months failed to alert me. My original agreement to get both mods done and receive both payments were on a signed contract with power of attorney notorization. Needless to say I am NOT pleased - because $2,500 is not small change.to me.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Probably unacceptable to them that so many just ignored the repeated notices sent out informing people of what they needed to do to comply. Waiting for your 60k service was a costly mistake on your part. These kinds of things should be done as soon as possible and gotten out of the way, not left to the last minute where you "forget" and cry afterwards. I can almost guarantee your appeal will be denied.

JohnBlutarsky

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
Well, that's the first I'm seeing of those letters! The only communication I ever received prior to the deadline (one letter, one email) had no mention whatsoever of a final date. After getting the "psych, no more money for you" email, I combed through both of the previous letters looking for a date. Nothing there. So I filed an appeal as well, but I'm not hopeful. And I agree, if I had gotten two reminder letters and still hadn't done it, that's on me, but I really had no way of knowing there was a deadline for completing Phase Two. I wonder if those reminders only went out to people who hadn't done Phase One yet. I did it pretty early, so maybe that took me off their reminder list.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd say the appeal has a 50/50 chance of success. VW isn't being complete d-bags around settlement claims from what I've seen. Good luck!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd say the appeal has a 50/50 chance of success. VW isn't being complete d-bags around settlement claims from what I've seen. Good luck!

I'm gonna say 10% chance of success or less.

I'm thinking VW's approch will be that if you were actually "harmed" by the emissions cheating was personally affected by it, you wouldn't be gaming the system to milk it for every red cent you could. I know life is busy and things get in the way.

But, like i said at least when the people get the fix, they will be gaming the warranty and that extra 5K miles they milked out of it.

JohnBlutarsky

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
I'm gonna say 10% chance of success or less.

I'm thinking VW's approch will be that if you were actually "harmed" by the emissions cheating was personally affected by it, you wouldn't be gaming the system to milk it for every red cent you could. I know life is busy and things get in the way.

But, like i said at least when the people get the fix, they will be gaming the warranty and that extra 5K miles they milked out of it.
I wasn't milking anything! I would've happily done it early if I had known about the deadline. As I said in my previous post, the only direct communication I got from VW didn't mention the deadline.

And VW doesn't independently decide on the outcome of the appeal. There is a member from VW, a member representing the consumers, and a neutral member to break ties. Since none of us are privy to the inner workings of this elite secret committee :D , I don't think there's any way to know how they will decide. I'm not losing any sleep over it either way, but having a chance for an extra two grand would be nice.

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I wonder if those reminders only went out to people who hadn't done Phase One yet. I did it pretty early, so maybe that took me off their reminder list.
That seems likely. If someone has already gone in and done the first part, it seems fair of them to assume you were going to do the second part in time. Good luck with your appeal.

Edit: it says the deadline in more places, so you are working uphill here. On the website it said so: https://web.archive.org/web/20181202011455/https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

"IMPORTANT: You must complete your Buyback/AEM/Early Lease Termination or restitution-only claim and remedy by December 30, 2018 to receive benefits."

Edit2: it's also in the long form notice. Can't link from mobile but the deadline is right under the section about filing a claim.

Last edited:

JohnBlutarsky

TDI
2015 Golf TDI S
That seems likely. If someone has already gone in and done the first part, it seems fair of them to assume you were going to do the second part in time. Good luck with your appeal.

Edit: it says the deadline in more places, so you are working uphill here. On the website it said so: https://web.archive.org/web/20181202011455/https://www.vwcourtsettlement.com/en/

"IMPORTANT: You must complete your Buyback/AEM/Early Lease Termination or restitution-only claim and remedy by December 30, 2018 to receive benefits."

Edit2: it's also in the long form notice. Can't link from mobile but the deadline is right under the section about filing a claim.
Yeah, after I did Phase One I figured I was locked in to getting Phase Two with the restitution payment, so I never went back to check my status. At this point I'm pretty much expecting to NOT win the appeal, but who knows, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Better find a Holiday Inn and keep your fingers crossed! Your odds aren't good as the word has been spread far and wide (legally speaking). I just shredded a debit card that I didn't recognize and thought was an unsolicited one. Turned out it was a rebate card I had been waiting for, for 8 weeks now and is unable to be replaced. I am out the money with no appeals..

Margarita

TDI
2014 Jetta
I just bought a 2014 jetta diesel from carvana completely unaware of the recall and buyback until after the purchase...is there a way i can get compensated?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If you bought it via carvana, there's no more money left on the table. Enjoy your new jetta and motor on!

roadlust

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 golf gl reflex silver (sold) 2013 TDI 2 door Golf Blue Graphite Metallic 6MT Premium Package.
Curious as to why you say "bought via varvana" as though if he bought it elsewhere he could apply for compensation. I thought after 12/31/18 the 2 liter settlement was done, too late, no money.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I just bought a 2014 jetta diesel from carvana completely unaware of the recall and buyback until after the purchase...is there a way i can get compensated?
All of the relevant deadlines have LONG since passed.

If the car has had the "fix" applied - there should be stickers under the hood indicating thus - then you have an extended warranty on the emission control system including the fuel injection pump (expensive, and a problem area).

If it has not had the "fix" applied, you can pay a visit to your local VW dealer and have it done. You will not get any $ out of the deal, but you will get the above-mentioned warranty extension.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yup, the gravy train has left the station. Highly unlikely the fix hasn't already been done to the car, but worth a look.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Curious as to why you say "bought via varvana" as though if he bought it elsewhere he could apply for compensation. I thought after 12/31/18 the 2 liter settlement was done, too late, no money.

Agreed the VW has closed it'd wallet. It was just a way to determine the fix has been applied, as the chances carvana bought it at auction with the fix applied from VW is near 100%.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You have multiple posts on this. You aren't due any money but do have an extended emissions warranty that covers quite a bit of stuff for quite some time. Read the paperwork on it. Posted here a vast number of times.

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
No excuse... just stupidity. I know I can still get stage 2 done on my 2015. Has anyone had any luck getting their remaining 1/3 settlement if they missed the deadline?
Didn't forget, but waited until the last minute only to find the website was down on Sep. 1st. Had to fax it in, go through the appeals process with the CRC and now finally after all that getting an offer now and waiting to schedule the appointment.

Long road, but it's still paying off!

:cool: