Rear caliper return spring (for e-brake) where to find!?!

guillaumeber

Vendor
TDI
Jetta 2000 TDI
Hello!
I have a small problem on my car! When I remove the handlebrake, the caliper sticks just a little, leaving the e-brake engaged slightly... just a bit! I found on google that once uppon a time, vw used a return spring on their calipers to help the e-brake lever to come back to it's complete original position. I would like to add this spring (which is not present on my car)... but I can't find them. My Vw dealer says they can't get them anymore. Anyone had luck finding them locally or online? reproduction maybe?
here'S a image.
thanks alot!
g.b.

JC_1992

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, 2001 Jetta GLS
I have this same problem, but only on my passenger side. I would love to try these out if someone can find them.

Cleenlivin

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI Sedan (DSG) boughtback, 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (Tiptronic), 2004 Jetta TDI Sedan (5 speed)
1stvwparts.com.

The pricing is probably the best you'll find but the shipping charges might be the deal breaker...that is, unless you need to order some other parts as well.

Garrett-TDI

TDI
03 Golf
Any dealer can get them.

Just a note though, the one in that picture the OP put up is not installed correctly. The coil of the spring should be on the forward side of the caliper, not the aft as illustrated. They tuck in nicely when installed properly.

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Any dealer can get them.

Just a note though, the one in that picture the OP put up is not installed correctly. The coil of the spring should be on the forward side of the caliper, not the aft as illustrated. They tuck in nicely when installed properly.
Just spent 30 minutes TRYING to put them in opposite of the posted photo PER your suggestion. Doesn't work. Period. Took 20 seconds to put them in per the photo.

Please post your photo of them installed opposite of the photo.

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Just spent 30 minutes TRYING to put them in opposite of the posted photo PER your suggestion. Doesn't work. Period. Took 20 seconds to put them in per the photo.

No, it does work. Mine are in the tucked-in, forward position. It was a bit confusing and took me several minutes to get it right, but you know right away when it's in the correct orientation. I'll snap a pic now with my cell phone.

Last edited:

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None

Here you go:
The biggest hint is to study the difference between the L and R hand side springs, and then use that observation to guide you as to the correct orientation. I believe it took some muscle as I had to compress the spring and engage the parking brake to get them on in the correct orientation. I'm assuming you know the springs are specific to the side.

This picture is the left (driver's) side caliper. I think I have my P-brake engaged.

PS - these springs were not strong enough to solve my sticking caliper in the winter time. I have a compromised parking brake cable boot (as you can see) though.

Last edited:

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Hope you don't mind me stealing your pic but

Take off bolt 1 and get that lever off, take off bolt 2 and put it aside, there's a rubber seal below the lever under bolt 1, get it out carefully with a small screwdriver. Now put the lever back on and do the nut up, not fully, just enough to get hold of the pivot. Spray said pivot and work the lever back and forth, use the wind back tool and retract the piston then work the lever some more. Once it's all free put some kind of long term lube in there, replace the seal, the bracket and the lever and add the new spring. This will last a lot longer and give you one hell of a hand brake.

Seatman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Skoda rapid elegance 1.6 cr tdi
Seatman posted the proper fix. Springs are a band-aid.
Nah springs are good too, they come as standard on the 256 callipers even though the hand brake is sprung internally. Besides they're very cheap.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
1stvwparts.com.

The pricing is probably the best you'll find but the shipping charges might be the deal breaker...that is, unless you need to order some other parts as well.
I got 2 sets from 1stvwparts delivered to Vermont for $15!

Thirstyturtle328

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI
Here you go:
The biggest hint is to study the difference between the L and R hand side springs, and then use that observation to guide you as to the correct orientation. I believe it took some muscle as I had to compress the spring and engage the parking brake to get them on in the correct orientation. I'm assuming you know the springs are specific to the side.

This picture is the left (driver's) side caliper. I think I have my P-brake engaged.

PS - these springs were not strong enough to solve my sticking caliper in the winter time. I have a compromised parking brake cable boot (as you can see) though.

Thanks for the details! Sorry if I can off angry in my post (I was actually a bit irritated). Is there any reason to think that the way mine are installed won't function? Or maybe just jot function as well?

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
Thanks for the details! Sorry if I can off angry in my post (I was actually a bit irritated). Is there any reason to think that the way mine are installed won't function? Or maybe just jot function as well?
I remember thinking that they exerted less force in the outward/backward position and that they were more unstable/felt more likely to fall off, but obviously plenty of people install them that way and don't have issues.

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
below is a pic of unmolested audi A4 calipers I pulled from a 2004 with the springs as installed at the factory... I also checked ebay and every picture shows the springs installed this way

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
ok,

I know this is an old thead, but it occured to me that there is a fool proof way how to tell which way the springs get installed.

Here's how we know. The part numbers.

7H0615295A is for the LEFT side of the vehicle and the other is for the RIGHT side.

So the correct installation is THIS way

It has to be, otherwise, VW is wrong on the description of which is for the left and right. And, I don't see how to install the left spring facing backwards. If you install the RIGHT spring on the LEFT side then you can install it facing backwards.

This is the RIGHT(side) spring installed on the LEFT caliper facing backwards. That's the only way to switch them facing backwards.

Having said all this, I don't know if it matters

Last edited:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
I ordered mine from the dealer and installed last Summer. At first the configuration was a bit tricky, but this thread helped me figure it out. I also had to realign the PB lever on the right side. This is a reman caliper, and the lever did not go up all the way due to a bent stop which I was able to bend back up.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
That's actually correct, facing forward, that's the right side of the car. Nice picture, thanks!

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I have one caliper that just hangs up a bit so I put the springs on both sides.

Did nothing other than make the parking brake handle hard to pull up.

Will have to look at the lube trick.

I think my problem is my cables though.