Turbo Intake pipe -- best replacement

ayerges

TDI
98 Jetta
During a recent intake manifold gasket change, the intake tube broke at the mounting bracket. I have seen multiple discussions about K&N intake kits and others that suggest that the stock air cleaner and intake at the turbo are more than sufficient.

I appear not to be able to get the stock part from anywhere currently so I am looking for suggestions for what to put in it's place.

I have a 98 Jetta TDI but from pictures and drawings I have seen it looks like I have the 97 setup under the hood.

I have tried to attach pictures of the piece that is broken as well as a representation of how it looks under the hood.

In this last image you can see the air cleaner on the left and the intake tube connected and going down the back of the engine to the turbo intake.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
ill wager 7/8ths of them that were ever made are broken at the mounting tabs... if theres anything left, you can JB weld it together but it will break again eventually.

the cheapest fix is to just cut the mounting ears off and put a rad hose or silicone coupler between the plastic turbo inlet pipe and the turbo with hose clamps on each end.

mine has been that way for 20K+ with no issues. it has no pressure on that side of the turbo so it wont blow apart at the worst possible moment like a cobbled together boost hose will.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
There's a used one in the parts section for sale pretty cheap,but it does have a crack on 1 tab,but it is complete and looks 100% better than the one in pic above. I'd say if you get that one,put JBWeld on both tabs before remounting and you should be good for many miles. I also bumped the for sale thread for you....

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na
I'll second what KetchupShirt88 said and add that in a pinch a rubber coupling plumbing fitting from a hardware store will work. (They even usually come with hose clamps too as a bonus.) They last maybe a year or two before the rubber becomes hard and no longer seals well.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Sometimes you can get the pipe to stay put better by replacing the o-ring in the connection with the turbo.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Doesn't that pipe get installed about 20° off, then rotated to lock? I think the tabs and bolts are just an extra measure of security, along with the tab that gets pinched at the intake.

To the guys using Ferncos... are you cutting the lower end off the pipe?

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Doesn't that pipe get installed about 20° off, then rotated to lock? I think the tabs and bolts are just an extra measure of security, along with the tab that gets pinched at the intake.

-Todd
Todd, just slides on the inlet, only resistance is the o-ring.

Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Hmmmm.... wonder what I'm confusing this with....

-Todd

glenn1179

Veteran Member
TDI
na

-Todd
I cut what is left of the broken tabs off.

Stoneage

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 Mk3 Jetta TDI
I used a bandsaw, cut just above and then added a piece of hose and clamps. Has Worked great for 2 years now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk