NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Candy White Jetta, DSG
And that would be the absolute worst thing that could happen in the interest of VW CR owners................including you.
I agree. We may disagree on the whole issue but it's true I'm in the same shark tank with all of you (well not you since you bailed out).

Call me whatever but I'm just not ready to yell "the sky is falling" just yet. I'm 72 and if this is the worst thing that can happen to me at this point in my life I gonna smile and move on. My best friend just emailed me to tell me he's been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in both tonsils. To me THAT's a problem; the rest is just part of life.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
dweisel isn't diesel anymore!
I agree. We may disagree on the whole issue but it's true I'm in the same shark tank with all of you (well not you since you bailed out).

Call me whatever but I'm just not ready to yell "the sky is falling" just yet. I'm 72 and if this is the worst thing that can happen to me at this point in my life I gonna smile and move on. My best friend just emailed me to tell me he's been diagnosed with stage 4 cancer in both tonsils. To me THAT's a problem; the rest is just part of life.
That's true......we all take life for granted.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
I could care less about what your arguing about. This whole subject has been argued to death. My money is on this: In the end the NHTSA will dismiss VW and move on. While some pumps gave up from what I've seen VW has stepped up to the plate and fixed the car/s.........even when they (and the customer) knew gasoline was put in the tank in many cases.

As for educating myself.........thanks for the advice. No harm intended here........just suggesting you give it a break before you faint or something. :D
I see you insist on posting from ignorance.

Last edited:

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
An '05 MBZ E-320 CDI (W-211) replaced the '10 TDI JSW
A Ticking Time Bomb

:)
Are you going to 'smile and move on' if you are hit
with a failure that can cost you upwards of $10K? :p

:D

Derrel

Last edited:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Bail out of your ticking time-bomb while you can and get yourself a dependable MBZ CDI.

Derrel
So Darrel, your solution for all of use is to get rid of the VW and get a used Mercedes. Here's the numbers I just got off Edmunds. Using retail pricing, my 2010 JSW with 35K miles if worth $20,000 and my 2011 Golf with 5K miles is worth $22K. Locally there is a 2007 E320 Blutec availabel for $25,000 with 70K miles.

Let's see. I give up the functionallity of the hatchback or the wagon for a sedan that neither my wife or I want. I loose about 10 mpg. And I get to add at least another $5000 to my car loan. I understand wanting to get out from under the "ticking time-bomb" but it just doesn't add up.

Maybe I'll remain in the 99+% of the non-failures, as reported. I choose to not be sitting in the car everyday wondering if this will be it's last. If I was that paranoid, then I would stop dring and hide in the closet under the stairs. If I worry about the HPFP failing at every mile, then shouldn't I also worry about the big truck that is going to crush me as soon as I leave the neighborhood?

I know every situation is different.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Comparison

I wish you luck and hope you have no problems.
I could not take that chance this summer when on vacation going through North Dakota
on vacation and my HPFP would decide to take a header and I'd be out-of-warranty.

Don't figure on $20K for your JSW TDI. It will be hard for you to sell it for that.
Maybe if you were to find a private buyer. I had the need to sell
mine quickly so sold it for $18K. That was three months ago.

Why buy a local '07 Bluetec V6 when the 05-06 straight six CDI is the better vehicle?
Yes, the fuel economy for a CDI is slightly less than for a VW TDI, but not nearly 10 mpg less.

What value do you place on safety? As far as trunk space is concerned,
check out the cubic volume of a JSW against that of a W-211.
There is no question as to which vehicle has the most interior room.
You cannot compare a compact with a full sized sedan.

You could probably find a good CDI for almost what you'd sell your VW for.
I happen to prefer MBZ diesels as I have had eleven of them (all diesels) since 1966.
I do know the MBZ diesels fairly well, in fact better than the VW diesels.
Were you to drive mine and compare it to whatever diesel you now drive, you'd agree.

Derrel

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I sold mine for only $18K, and that was three months ago.
Don't forget that you also sold it for wholesale value. You sold it to someone (CarMax) who sold it again for a profit.

Why go for a local '07 Bluetec V6 when the 05-06 straight six CDI is the better vehicle?
MB makes good cars, but older cars will always have some problems. My brother used to own an older MB diesel (he now owns a JSW). He loved the engine and he never put a penny into engine repairs. However the rest of the car nickled and dimed him to death (actually with an MB it dollared him to death). He got sick of replacing window regulators, windshield wiper motors, seat controls, and almost everything else besides the engine. If you think VW parts are expensive, look at Mercedes parts. I'm not certain it is the clear cut choice you make it out to be.

Have Fun!

Don

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
So, it looks like my pump failed without completely self-destructing. They replaced it with a re manufactured unit for no cost to me at ~14000 miles.

So far, the car feels exactly as it did before.
This is a general question that has been bugging me since I read it. I'm simply asking questions here trying to understand this all as much as possible.

If the barrel is the part of the pump going bad, what are they doing to re manufacture these? Wouldn't they have to sleeve or bore the barrel?

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI

Agreed.

But for me, I know that I have made the correct choice.

I sold my VW to Carmax and they then sold it within four days and made approx $3K after expenses.

Doesn't matter to me 'cause I got what I wanted and I could not afford that
same MBZ back in February 2010 when I first bought the new JSW TDI.
Had I been able to afford the Benz then, I certainly would have bought one instead.

Derrel
Darrel I wish you the best of luck with your MB. I purchased a new 2002 C240 and it turned into the second worse car I ever owned. You name it it went bad. The first six months the car lived at the dealership (Fletcher Jones). At 40K miles the in dash computer started going dark at the edges. With only a few days left on my warranty I asked my SW if he was going to fix it. Gave me the run around so I drove across the street to Newport Lexus and traded it for a 2006 IS250. While it's had five TSB so far I've not had to put one penny of my own money into repairs other than oil/filter changes. No more Mercedes for this guy.........

BTW: The worse car EVER was my 87 Mazda RX7. Biggest piece of junk ever produced.

Nope..........I'll keep the Lexus forever and the TDI as long as possible. Funny how some people here can scare the crap out of even themselves and sell their car. Amazing.

Lets see. The odds seem to be this: 98/99 percent chance of no HPFP problems....1/2 percent you might. I'll take those odds.

Just a thought. Since your NO longer a member of the fold why not just fade away and stop trying to convince the rest of us you made the right decision? Believe it or not the vast majority of us really enjoy our TDIs. :D

Just a suggestion here but there is a Mercedes forum. I know I use to be on it a lot.

Last edited:

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Give it a break, please :confused:
No, you called me out without any clue as to what my position is. I'm going to guess that you decided to actually go back and read my position and are too proud to admit you were wrong.

There is nothing wrong with being wrong and admitting it.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This is a general question that has been bugging me since I read it. I'm simply asking questions here trying to understand this all as much as possible.

If the barrel is the part of the pump going bad, what are they doing to re manufacture these? Wouldn't they have to sleeve or bore the barrel?
A sleeve might be one option,not sure how feasible it would be. Or build up some type of coating and rebore to spec. No one knows what the reman pumps are like,because no one has seen the inside of one yet.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
A sleeve might be one option,not sure how feasible it would be. Or build up some type of coating and rebore to spec. No one knows what the reman pumps are like,because no one has seen the inside of one yet.
It's a real pain in trying to come to any sort of conclusion with all this super secret stuff. :eek:

The_Mike

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
Yeah, I'm hoping to keep it that way.

But with intercooler issues and HPFP failure within 14,000 miles, if I encounter another related problem in the next year, I might try to lemon-law (2 years in NJ) the car.

dweisel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It's a real pain in trying to come to any sort of conclusion with all this super secret stuff. :eek:
The info is not really secret. The answers are there,all you have to do is buy a reman pump and take it apart. Same with the latest revision pump,buy one and disassemble. May as well get a 2012 Passat pump to take apart and check for changes too. The answers are there.............you just have to be willing to pay for them or be patient and wait.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Yeah, I'm hoping to keep it that way.

But with intercooler issues and HPFP failure within 14,000 miles, if I encounter another related problem in the next year, I might try to lemon-law (2 years in NJ) the car.
Doesn't the lemon law have to be for the same incident? I know that's how it was in Wisconsin years ago.

The_Mike

TDI
2011 Golf TDI Manual
Doesn't the lemon law have to be for the same incident? I know that's how it was in Wisconsin years ago.
Well, I had the car towed to the dealer for a no-start/stumbling issue that they first identified as intercooler freezing, then found HPFP failure might have been the cause. Three trips to the dealer, ~12+ days out of commission.

For NJ, it is 20 cumulative days at the dealer, or three attempts to fix the same issue in two years of ownership. You have to give them a chance to fix it though, so if I encounter another problem, I might make the lemon claim. They'll try to fix it again, and if it reoccurs, VW buys it back for price paid*mileage/100,000.

I honestly just want my stupid car to work. I bought it new and have had a multitude of problems with it. I also have a 23 year-old 150,000 mile toyota MR2 which has been flawless. And I beat the crap out of the MR2 in autocross.

pcnorton

TDI
2011 JSW
Lets see. The odds seem to be this: 98/99 percent chance of no HPFP problems....1/2 percent you might. I'll take those odds.

ROFLMAO.....You kill me. Read my thread on my JSW's second flatbed ride. I must have bought the lightning rod package. You VW apologist's kill me. Is the sand that warm around your head?

I want to keep my car, but there are no answers on how to make it safe to drive. I guess I could run a analysis on every fuel station before I buy fuel. I guess that would be the next step up from my "buy every gallon form a major station with high turnover"

I could inspect my filter every day and flush the system and R+R the HPFP for inspection weekly.

Or I could wait for the second fuel system to be installed and trade in this nightmare.

Paul

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
No, you called me out without any clue as to what my position is. I'm going to guess that you decided to actually go back and read my position and are too proud to admit you were wrong.

Could you post a link to the post he 'called you out' in?

I think what he posted was that he didn't care what you have been 'arguing' about.

He does have a point about his friend having cancer vs. anyone having a HPFP failure... they do not begin to compare. :eek:

Lets try a little Harry Potter therapy::)

PANTIES UNTWIST!:)

Bill

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
ROFLMAO.....You kill me. Read my thread on my JSW's second flatbed ride. I must have bought the lightning rod package. You VW apologist's kill me. Is the sand that warm around your head?

I want to keep my car, but there are no answers on how to make it safe to drive. I guess I could run a analysis on every fuel station before I buy fuel. I guess that would be the next step up from my "buy every gallon form a major station with high turnover"

I could inspect my filter every day and flush the system and R+R the HPFP for inspection weekly.

Or I could wait for the second fuel system to be installed and trade in this nightmare.

Paul
The failures are reported as running less than 2% unless you have official data stating otherwise.

Bill

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI

Wrong again............Let me help you out. I don't care what your position is........got it????? The subject has been beat to death. If the frickin HPFP takes a dump in my car I'll check with VW and get it fixed. It's not the end of the world here at least for me

So try this and see if it helps: Open up a beer take a swig and try to understand what I said.

:confused:

Last edited:

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
The failures are reported as running less than 2% unless you have official data stating otherwise.

Bill
Actually I believe for the 2010 MY it's even less than that. But hey there, I'm NOT calling you out on this....OK? :)

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Stating things as they are known is not apologizing for anything. As far as we know at this time, the odds are slim.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Could you post a link to the post he 'called you out' in?

I think what he posted was that he didn't care what you have been 'arguing' about.

He does have a point about his friend having cancer vs. anyone having a HPFP failure... they do not begin to compare. :eek:

Lets try a little Harry Potter therapy::)

PANTIES UNTWIST!:)

Bill
My position is exactly the same as his. He took one post out of context and told me to give it a rest as it was a minor problem. I never argued otherwise.

It happens all the time where people jump in during the middle or the end of a conversation without bothering to read everything that has been wrote.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Wrong again............Let me help you out. I don't care what your position is........got it?????
Then don't tell me what it should be.

The subject has been beat to death. If the frickin HPFP takes a dump in my car I'll check with VW and get it fixed. It's not the end of the world here at least for me

So try this and see if it helps: Open up a beer take a swig and try to understand what I said.

:confused:
I'm fine with what you said. It has been my position all along.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
Given the lack of facts and any statement from VWoA, with some notable exception much of what has been posted in over 3100 posts are conjecture, speculation and unsubstantiated personal opinion. You are entitled to your opinions, but we have rules about decorum, etiquette and maintaining civil, respectful discussion.

I realize that people are very passionate and concerned about this subject because it involves a lot of uncertainty and potentially a lot of money that may or may not be covered by VW down the road. But this does not excuse the absolutely adolescent behavior by some people here. The line is drawn on the sand: if you can't resist picking arguments and agreeing to disagree in a mature manner from here on out, you will be banned. For a long time. I will determine the length on a per-case basis, but it could be as long as 6 months to a year. This will ride us through hopefully to a time when we have some hard facts and answers, whether from VW or NHTSA. Be hereby forewarned. There will be no other warning before a ban is handed down and no amount of whining (yes, it has happened) will alter the decision to ban or the duration thereof.

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
As a postscript to the above, since it has also happened in the past, be forewarned: trying to get around a ban by registering alias accounts is ABSOLUTELY NOT TOLERATED. If you have been banned for a temporary period and come back under an alias, ALL YOUR ACCOUNTS WILL BE BANNED PERMANENTLY. A few people who tried this, who know they are and some of whom are posting in this thread, are very, very lucky to still have posting privileges.

Derrel H Green

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Older MBZ Problems

Don't forget that you also sold it for wholesale value. You sold it to someone (CarMax) who sold it again for a profit.
MB makes good cars, but older cars will always have some problems. My brother used to own an older MB diesel
(he now owns a JSW). He loved the engine and he never put a penny into engine repairs.
However the rest of the car nickled and dimed him to death (actually with an MB it dollared him to death).
He got sick of replacing window regulators, windshield wiper motors,
seat controls, and almost everything else besides the engine.
If you think VW parts are expensive, look at Mercedes parts. [You are absolutely correct!]
I'm not certain it is the clear cut choice you make it out to be.

Have Fun!

Don

Indeed. Time will most certainly tell.

Yes. Sold the JSW TDI to CarMax as I was in a hurry. No time for a private sale.
I did not want the CDI to get away and I needed the money from the VW to purchase the Benz.

What year was your brothers? It must have been an eighty something? :confused:

Derrel

Last edited:

GTIDan

Veteran Member
TDI
My position is exactly the same as his. He took one post out of context and told me to give it a rest as it was a minor problem. I never argued otherwise.

It happens all the time where people jump in during the middle or the end of a conversation without bothering to read everything that has been wrote.

"Can we all just get along?" Quote: Rodney King
:eek: