ecomodder

Jack_Berry

Veteran Member
TDI
02 jetta sedan
discovered this site today. there is a fella with a 92 civic who now gets 90mpg from his car. another guy wants to kammback his 2000 jetta. must be someone here who might emulate these guys for better tdi economy.

http://ecomodder.com/

shizzler

Veteran Member
TDI
05 BEW Wagon
I emulate their methods, but not nearly to that extent. I improved my highway mileage by close to 20% from aeromodding.

I wish someone would make a full kammback for their golf or jetta TDI though, it could easily hit 90 mpg...

Ecomodder is a great site for aerodynamic and efficiency modding, though it moves kind of slow sometimes.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
I occasionally read up on contributor's posts there, usually with a smile.
My opinion: not enough "eco", too much "mod".
Similar results are achieved without resorting to the degree of personalization many do. I won't call the changes "improvements" because they are not an improvement.
What's the EPA highway rating for a '92 Civic?(49) What percentage improvement is an aeromodded 90 mpg?(+85%)
Now, what's the EPA rating of an '05 Passat?(34) What percentage improvement is a bone stock 68 mpg?(+100%)
Or a '96 Passat?(41) compared to 82 in my sedan?(+100%), or 78 in my wagon?(+78%).

Tinted windshield banners, Altezza taillamps, fuzzy dice have about as much effect on fuel economy as some of the changes these guys do.
Strictly a personalization.

<edit> b.t.w.: 90 mpg on gasoline contributes as much fossil CO2 greenhouse gas per mile as 23 mpg on B100 biodiesel. 80 mpg on B100 is equivalent in CO2 GHG contributions to 300+ mpg with gasoline power.<end>

Last edited:

smck

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf man, 2003 golf man
I have a hotrod buddy at work who will be making my fender skirts and kammback when he gets some time and materials. I'm picking up some coroplast tomorrow for my underbody.

manual_tranny

Smyth Performance- Intern
TDI
2001 Golf @182K; 2000 Jetta @290K
Check out Smyth Performance for one of the ultimate aeromods you can do to a MKIV. =)
For good pictures and current progress, check the Facebook page!
After I'm done building my Smyth car, I plan on building an ultra-light trailer capable of holding 200-300 pounds while providing an aircraft-like taper that I expect will improve fuel economy in most conditions.

I believe there is NO reason to start a big project like re-shaping a vehicle unless you can make it somewhat utilitarian. If you add a big cone to the back of your Golf/Jetta, it should at least hold a little extra luggage or allow longer pieces of lumber to squeeze in. When I finally go to the trouble of a serious aero-mod, I'm going to make it something other people are going to want to buy from me because it is good for all sorts of things. I'd like to see a hatchback modified to carry extra luggage AND provide better mileage AND it should be made of an old door so it fits right up. It needs to be slightly attractive, (not made of paper) and you should be able to see out of it well. Otherwise, the most serious aeromods are not as much an improvement as a compromise.