TDIclub Secret Society of BMW Owners (SSBMWO)

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Drove this one yesterday......
45K just off lease loaded up nice Car sport package Paddle shifters 328D
Looks like a nice car! The sport line package is really nice (I like the 18" wheels and sport seats), and you have the lighting package as well as other options. As much as I loved my Jetta TDI, the 328d is a lot more engaging to drive. More power, balanced chassis, quick reflexes, and all the while delivering better mileage that my Jetta TDI did.

Let us know if you end up with it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Got the car detailed, wheels mounted and (finally) properly balanced, oil changed. Fresh wash and it's ready to go!

Koseis and Conti non-runflats are 11lbs. lighter per corner than the stock wheels with non-runflat snows. That's a big difference.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Looks great! Time to start logging some miles... My winter wheels had Michelin Ice xi3s. Nice tires and not runflats. The summer runflats are back on now, though. Do you carry fix a flat kit in the trunk?

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
Looking good, IndigoBlueWagon!

Wow, 11 pounds per wheel? Is it mostly the weight of the wheel or the tire? Whatever the case, that's a significant reduction in unsprung weight and power required for rotational energy. Though with a 335d, I seriously doubt you'd feel any difference on acceleration due to the massive torque you make.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think it's mostly the wheels. Koseis are light. I'm working on getting a spare and jack together for the trunk, since I've already had a pothole take out a wheel and tire. I was looking into the kit they sell in Europe, but it's crazy expensive.

RebelTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Audi Q5 TDI, 2016 BMW 535d Xdrive
Let us know what you come up with. I have been using a standard floor jack. I think a scissor jack may be a better choice. You have to use a jack pad inserted into a rectangular mold located by each tire. It's easy for the jack to slip off the jack pad. I wouldn't want to do this by the side of the road.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My car has jack pads in place. The jack in the BMW kit is a scissor jack. I'll have to look at whether or not if fits into the pads. Although the kit is nice, it's only available from Europe and very expensive. It's neat, but maybe not that neat.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
Got the car detailed, wheels mounted and (finally) properly balanced, oil changed. Fresh wash and it's ready to go!

Koseis and Conti non-runflats are 11lbs. lighter per corner than the stock wheels with non-runflat snows. That's a big difference.
Nice looking car! :cool:

Do you have a vanity license plate for it? I have BMW535D on my 535d. :)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I don't do vanity plates. I'm too cheap. In Massachusetts they cost extra and renewal is every year instead of every other year.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Second fill up, so finally got to calculate MPGs:

A bit lower than I'd like, but that was very few highway miles. We'll see how it goes over the next few months. I think those 19" wheels aren't helping matters.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

Peter,

I'm curious about what the engine RPMs are at in the 335d while cruisin' on the highway at 70 MPH indicated (68 MPH actual) and with the transmission in normal D mode. My E70 X5 35d (same engine as 335d) at 70 MPH indicated in D spins right around 2000 RPM. I was thinking the 335d is geared slightly taller than the X5 35d.

I have also found I like using DS (Sport) mode a lot for in-town and stop and go driving. Sport mode likes to use a lower gear more often than not and takes it to higher RPMs before shifting when accelerating.

I tend to drive my 535d in Sport mode all the time. :cool:

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
I'm not Peter but...my 335d turns 2000 rpm at 79mph indicated, 75mph GPS actual. My X535d is geared lower.

So far my best mpg was from KC to Minneapolis, 42.3mpg indicated and 44.23 mpg calculated actual gallons filled.

Overall in the past 10k miles with stage 2.5 tune, I have averaged 38.5 mpg, and my wife's X5 has averaged 25.7 mostly city driving with stage 2 tune.

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
Peter,
I'm curious about what the engine RPMs are at in the 335d while cruisin' on the highway at 70 MPH indicated (68 MPH actual) and with the transmission in normal D mode.
2000 rpm's is exactly 80 mph by dial in mine. I think it turns 1800 at 70 mph.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
Second fill up, so finally got to calculate MPGs:

A bit lower than I'd like, but that was very few highway miles. We'll see how it goes over the next few months. I think those 19" wheels aren't helping matters.
That's actually very respectable for mostly in-town fuel efficiency. I'm sure mostly highway driving will get you easily into the 40s.

FWIW, I tend to drive quickly on the freeway (i.e. not for fuel efficiency). But I'm averaging about 41.8 mpg with mostly highway driving, which is excellent considering my Jetta TDI averaged 37.5 mpg over 240K miles.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
That's actually very respectable for mostly in-town fuel efficiency. I'm sure mostly highway driving will get you easily into the 40s.
Thing is.. that is lower than I ever got with my Golf. Lowest tank on my Golf was 39mpg.

I think the difference is that I'm in the enjoy-the-car, to-hell-with-mpg mode. That'll change as the honeymoon period is over. I did ~150 miles the past two days and averaged ~45mpg during that time. We'll see if I can keep it going for a whole tank. :)

grawk

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 JSW TDI (used)
Thing is.. that is lower than I ever got with my Golf. Lowest tank on my Golf was 39mpg.

I think the difference is that I'm in the enjoy-the-car, to-hell-with-mpg mode. That'll change as the honeymoon period is over. I did ~150 miles the past two days and averaged ~45mpg during that time. We'll see if I can keep it going for a whole tank. :)
The Golf is a lighter car with a smaller engine. Of course it got better mileage. It's amazing these beasts do as well as they do...

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
The Golf is a lighter car with a smaller engine. Of course it got better mileage. It's amazing these beasts do as well as they do...

The 328d is a also a 2.0L turbo and is pretty close in weight, in fact, from everything I've seen the BMW weighs just a bit less than the Golf.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I think the 8 speed transmission is a big contributor to this car's overall performance and economy.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
The 328d is a also a 2.0L turbo and is pretty close in weight, in fact, from everything I've seen the BMW weighs just a bit less than the Golf.
Not even close actually. ;)

The Golf Diesel weighs more or less right at 3000lbs depending on transmission and doors. (my 4 door manual 2012 was 3073)

The '14 BMW 328d weighs in at 3460lbs, while the xDrive model is 3600-3700lbs.

A lot of extra weight to get moving every stops/start, but cruising is easier with the 8 speed gearing so highway is really similar.

jnecr

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328d
Not even close actually. ;)
The Golf Diesel weighs more or less right at 3000lbs depending on transmission and doors. (my 4 door manual 2012 was 3073)

The '14 BMW 328d weighs in at 3460lbs, while the xDrive model is 3600-3700lbs.
It appears you are correct, not sure where I got my info previously.

DubFamily

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 328D xDrive
No worries; I was surprised at how much heavier the 328d xDrive was myself; but then I parked it in my garage in the same place my Golf fit... It wouldn't fit without hauling out my lawnmower, and even then it was really tight compared to the Golf.

The 328 is a much larger car in comparison, just drives well enough that it doesn't "feel" like it. ;)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Jeff at Rocketchip tuned my 335d yesterday. I ended up with his Stage 2 tune, all emissions intact and working, which is what I want (for now). Claimed output is 330/505. It was already powerful, now it's a bit more ridiculous. Roll into it at 80 and the needle just scoots around the dial.

dogdots

Vendor
TDI
None
Peter - Now you know how much fun these really are once the real power is released :)

I have issues with traction when I nail it at 50-60 mph :D

Good to know Jeff is doing these, I used Andrew for mine and have been quite happy with both.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Just had to do the transfer case in the wife's 14' 328D....You don't want to do that without a warranty. $5K...