Upper Intake "charged" hose blew

tdisquared

TDI
2000 Golf 2005 Passat Wagon, 2006 Jetta
A friends wife was driving his 2004 New Beetle TDI and she heard a loud "pop" followed by loss of power. Upon inspection, he found the upper hose leading to the throttle valve had blown off. In the process, the "tangs" that the clips use to hold it in were sheared off. When we push it back on, the engine sounds fine but, of course, it pops off at about 3000 rpm.

I hooked up my Vag-com and downloaded the following codes:

17586-Liner O2 sensor; pump current: open circuit
16683-Boost Pressure Regulation: control range not reached
18628-Oxygen sensor B1 S1: signal too high (rich)
16497-Intake Air Temp sensor (G42): signal too high intermittent
18000-Altitude Sensor/boost pressure sensor: implausible correlation intermittent
16622-Manifold pressure/boost Sensor (G31): signal too high intermittent.

I'm not new to this but since my TDI's have had very little trouble (knock on wood), I'm not sure what is a problem and what is a result of the problem. I'm tempted to buy a new upper hose, put it on and keep running.

Any ideas? Perhaps an overboost situation caused the problem or the metal tangs were weakened and blew under normal pressure?

TDI_G

Veteran Member
TDI
None Currently- 2008 BMW 335I
2 days after buying my TDI (2002 Golf ALH) my upper hose blew off of the intercooler throwing the pipe into the power steering pulley putting a hole in it. I JB Welded it and drove it until I found a good deal on a used replacement. Obviously your scenario is different as the pipes in the car you are referring to have clips and not clamps holding it on to the intake. There is a post somewhere about how to fix it either by putting a clamp on there or something like that. Unfortunately I can't remember exactly how it was fixed.

2004STARWARSTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2004 Platinum Gray GLS Jetta / 2006 Silver Jetta with DSG
Hose blown off

For a cheaper and faster fix use the doggie leash! Check my signature on EGR to turbo hose fix.:D