Check ATF level on DSG trans???

soberups

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I have a new '06 Jetta TDI with the "DSG" automatic trans. I cant find the dipstick to check the fluid level. Nor can I find any info in my owners manual. How does one check/add fluid to this trans?

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
If VAG-COM shows the level I like to know which block #. The level accroding to manual is checked by checking to see if there is overflow at 35 to 45 C. Which I read means there will be a slight constant dripping form the fill plug at temperature. Bentley is not always accruate.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
The dealer originally only expected to check your trans at 80k. PTL they realized this was a mistake and called for a 40k fluid and filter change. So heres my advice. When you are down there to change the oil inspect the trans EVERYWHERE. Every bolt, seam, plug, and fitting, look for any signs of a possible leak. Make sure your hands are clean and even feel up around the top. If there are no leaks and the trans is performing well, then do not worry. Be prepared for your first fluid and filter change at 40k. I will document my first change using VAS6262 and Vag-Com. I ordered the filter and will consider a premature change at 20k. One for the experience and two to see if there is actually anything in the filter. I will put used and new fluid side by side for comparison. My guess is 40k fluid and filter changes are very conservative for all but the hardest of drivers and conditions, racers included. I think that the first change will be critical. I also feel that as the trans ages the changes will become less important. Castings clean up in time and any small particles that were left in from assembly are long gone. If nothing breaks in the trans the clutches will eventually wear and the trans is definitely worth a rebuild. Best trans I have ever owned.

soberups

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So there is no dipstick, and to actually check the fluid level one must crawl under the car when it is hot ( requiring a computer to read the temperature) remove a plug, and see if anything drips out? I'm having a hard time following the logic in omitting a dipstick.

Zero10

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf TDI PD, Tiptronic
A lot of dust and dirt can get into a transmission when there is a dipstick available for people to pull out.
VW decided that they would be 'smart' and get rid of it. Unfortunately they followed that up by saying to never change the fuild.....
They had half of a good idea.

TDI
jettadsg2006.5
Hello,
I'm new here and planning to change the filter and atf of my jetta tdi dsg autotrans this week.got my car at the dealer last july with 3 miles on it now im near 40k and wanted to change the filter and atf by myself.I would like to ask where can i buy filter(online) and atf for my car.please hoping for reply..thank you!

jetta tdi dsg 2006.5

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You may want to get the fluid and filter from ECS - they have reduced the price.

Do you know what you are doing, there is a process, check out the DSG owners database link below. I have not completed the DSG service as I was waiting till Iperformed it myself. Looks like early next year at this point.

TDI
jettadsg2006.5
thanks for the reply and advice.I'll wait for your report wj on how to and some new points in performing the process.meantime i'll order the parts .i'll check the dsg link now.thank you!

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seems edilbeck will be doing this before me maybe he would add that to his post in the owners database. The one I put in the database is from the bentley but the tools sizes are not there. Its a metric allen type.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
It won't be long before VW stops installing an oil dipstick for the motor as well...Just like my 2006 E320 CDI (Dipstickless motor & Transmission):D

Dipsticks are just another avenue for dirt and debris to get into the motor.

With the DSG just replace the fluid and filter every 40K and don't worry about checking the fluid levels.

Every 10K get under the car and inspect the car for any signs of leakage, but you do this anyway whenever you change the engine oil so nothing to worry about right?

DB

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Wow, a car without an engine dipstick... I went to mbworld.org and
they have a procedure for reading the oil level via dash readout.

So very cool! Thanks DB.

Bill

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
My wife's 2000 Peugeot 306HDI has an oil level display- when you turn the ignition on, the temp gauge lights up and the needle swings to display oil level. Start the car and the needle drops, acting as a normal temp gauge. Pretty accurate too- once the level is about halfway between the marks on the dipstick, there's a noticeable variance on the display between cold and hot, and even sitting on a slope...