Big Problem with Power Steering System

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Ever since I purchased my Passat TDI last summer, I had a problem with loss of power steering fluid. I noticed this problem when I starting hearing a "groaning sound" typical of a power steering pump starved of fluid. Since then, I brought it back 5 times to 2 different stealerships and the problem just came back. Here is the timeline:

1. 8/5/16 - Suburban Imports Farmington Hills (VW Dealer),
" Client states power steering fluid is leaking, found p/steering low in vehicle (no kidding :eek: ), found pressure line was leaking at the crip (??) were the rubber and metal come together
Replaced pressure power steering line.
Parts:
Flex Hose- 8D1-422-893-AL
Washer - N-013-848-7
Washer- N-013-849-5
Oil G-002-000

2. 10/12/05 - Suburban Imports Farmington Hills (VW Dealer),

"Customer States there is fluid under the pront of vehicle where it is parked and the power steering makes a groaning noise."
"Cleaned power steering fluid from the power steering rack, sprayed leak trace on rack, checked for leaks, verified the seals at the power steering rack of the pressure line were leaking fluid."
"Replaced seals for pressure hose at the power steering rack"

Parts:
Washer- N-013-849-5
Oil G-002-000
(So they did the same thing as before......:mad: , nothing new bastards@!)

3. 25/10/05- Volkswagen of Windsor (my dealer)

"Leaking Power Steering fluid" (really??)
"Removed and install pressure Hose (sounds familiar:mad: )

Parts:
Pressure Hose (??)
Washer - N-013-848-7
Oil G-002-012

4. 28/12/05- Volkswagen of Windsor (my dealer)

"Power Steering fluid keeps going low" :)mad: )
"Remove and Install Clamps"
Parts:

Clip: X-100-004

5. 2/18/06- Volkswagen of Windsor (my dealer)

"Power steering fluid is low- has been checked before (not too much :( )- replace high pressure hose seal and clamps"
"Remove and install power steering gear" (I am assuming this is the entire rack?)

Parts:

3B1-422-052-RX Steering (rackassembly??)
Washer - N-013-848-7
Washer- N-013-849-5

So what should I do? Is this a wide spread issue? Why are VW techs incompetent? Is it a design issue or a quality issue? Where is VW engineering's DFMEA? I am pissed!!:mad: :mad:

Last edited:

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
Does anyone have the power steering system diagram they can sent to me? (from the CD??) I need to understand what the hell is going on.! :mad:

vw4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg TDI
Sorry to hear about the problem I hope you can get it figured out. Sorry I have no resources to offer help.

Last edited:

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Sorry, but I didn't have access to my Bentley's until now. Hope these help.

maktas

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat TDI
The dealer says there is a stress crack at the rack where the high pressure hose terminates..... They are ordering another new rack..... either this is a lottery like chance, or they are not root causing this issue.... they changed everything except the pump, which is probably the key to this whole thing.... but they don't listen to me.