Official: SFBA Dyno Day 4/10

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Passat, Stonehenge Gray, 2002 Black Golf 5M
It's a go! The SFBA dyno day is on! It will be held on Saturday, April 10th at 9am. The location is:

Dyno Labs
25 Beta Court unit N
San Ramon, CA 94583
(925)831-8240
www.dynolabs.net

Our host will be Ray Razon, owner of Dyno Labs.

The dyno used will be a Dynojet 248c. With the gracious help of Gary Miyakawa, a special sensor will be used to pickup and enable the Dynojet to record torque numbers in addition to horse power numbers.

Ray has a grill so foodwise, we should think of this as a potluck. There will be burgers and hotdogs, but please feel free to bring drinks, foods, and sweets. For those inclined to "grab" something to eat, an In/Out Burger joint is a few blocks away.

I know there are several members who are interested in seeing what different combinations of injectors, chips, tuning boxes, and such put out in terms of hp and torque numbers. This is the perfect opportunity to do so. Even if you're not interested in having your car put on the dyno, this is a great chance to see how it's done.

If you are interested in having your car dynoed, the cost is $60 per car, with each car getting three "pulls" or dyno runs. Due to the time needed to setup each car on the dyno, each car signed up for the dyno must complete all three pulls. Single pulls and swapping cars around to make up a $60 session will not be allowed (Sorry, but these are the rules!).

Those signed up for dyno runs are:

1. scruzsyncro (Bill) Pending (Might not be able to make it)
2. Chugbug (Jolene)
3. Bogstomper (Rudy)
4. GassinGerhard (Gary)
5. Peter Cheuk (Peter)
6. First D (Eric)
7. mackwood (Jason)
8. dlai (Dan)
9. Hesh (Chris)
10. Peter Pyce (Peter)
11. Pcar996 (Shawn)

Observers who will be watching are:

1. Norman
2. TDICa (Mike)
3. NewTDI (Andrew)
4. Ian46

Food Potluck:

1. Korean Chicken (Dan)
2. Soda/Water (Peter C.)
3. Surprise (Eric)

This has the makings of being a really special and great GTG! Keep watching this thread for further developments as the date gets closer and please post to this thread if you are interested in having your car dynoed, or are just attending to watch!

Thanks.

Dan

ChugBug

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Beetle
Feeler: SFBA Dyno Day

I'd be interested. Depends on the date. I'm only available every other saturday and only after 11am on sundays. I definitely want to knwo what difference my new injectors has made on my bug.

jolene

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver

I am interested in seeing data from all those mods that you guys have done! So count me in! You name the place and time! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

This is one that I would go for~~~but which vehicle to bring??? The Golf w/upsolute & TB or the Jetta wagon with Wett & TB???

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver

mackwood,
I guess you are keeping the mods until after the dyno!

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey

/images/graemlins/grin.gif i wasn't going to get rid of them. I took out my ecu to test mpg's. Thank god that tank is gone. i couldn't take it any longer. i put RC back in tonight. ahhhhh, i have power again. Hopefully you will have your stuff in for the dyno runs. yours will add a different combo.

First D

Veteran Member

I was up there this past weekend...Peter P has my steelies and I have the Avus' on my car. We talked about have our timing belts done in April, also I'm thinking about having the clutch done. Don't know if the TBs and dyno can occur on the same weekend I would probably take off Thursday and Friday to have everything done then we can dyno Saturday.

May want to discuss with Peter.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL

I'll have to try and make it. It'll be good to see Ray again, it's been a few years...

bogstomper

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat, 2004, Blue Graphite

I'm with Jolene, I want to see what difference the PP520s made to the performance, sign me up although I won't have a free Saturday till early April..... /images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Hesh

Veteran Member

I am interested, but more to see head-to-head comparisons of the RR B216 (.203) vs. the PP520. If someone already has the B216 installed (and I'm pretty sure Peter Pyce does), we can probably scare up someone who already has the PP520 and swap them in, or get a test sample from KERMA -- see this thread where KERMA makes the offer.

I could be a guinnea pig but I'm sure we already have a bunch of volunteers who could do this as well.

Chris

classen

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta 2003 Platinum Gray

Sounds like fun. We could use my 2003 Jetta as the baseline... /images/graemlins/cool.gif it has absolutely NO performance modifications.

peter pyce

Veteran Member

RIGHT ON Chris! Why don;t someone take Charlie on his offer and bolt the PP 520 on his/her A4? then we know once and forever where do the B203 stand in the croud ....... for even better comparison, I will provide ECU with Upsolute, Wetteraure and Rocketchip Stage 0 and Stage 2, then we will see how they all "nehave" with proper and not-proper software too ..... Looking forward!

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

You guys just let me know what you want me to lend you for the dyno testing.

KERMA

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
99 beetle and 04 jetta

Dan, do you think it might be possible to get a few dyno pulls done before the new cam goes in? I'm dying to know the numbers, because I am the only auto I know to have done a dyno!! You should have the cam in 2-3 weeks. Then if you do the dyno day with the cam we will know the difference.

Who wants a friendly wager on the PP520 vs B216 comparo? /images/graemlins/grin.gif

peter pyce

Veteran Member

How do we determine which injectors gives more? TQ numbers? HP numbers? Better curve overall?

Hesh

Veteran Member

We might want to create a matrix of things we want to test and stage everybody to make the most of the day (and $$$). If we are all in on this, we could just split the costs N ways.

There are quite a lot of factors we might want to test out: 1) different chips/ECUs, 2) different injectors, 3) pump size. For chips, we have stock, Upsolute, Wett, RC0, RC2. Injectors: .184, B205, B203, PP520. Pump: 10mm, 11mm. Combinations possible: 5x4x2. Can we do 40 runs in a day? I doubt it.

Let me throw out what upgrades are on most people's minds:

1) Stock (.184) vs. B203 vs. PP520.
2) Some popular chip, either B203 or PP520, and compare ECUs: stock vs. Up vs. Wett. vs. RC0 vs RC2.

That's 8 runs right there. If we do this on two different vehicles we can get it done more quickly -- all injector tests on one vehicle, all ECU tests on another. We should all be aware that we can't compare across the vehicles. There is too much variability from one to the other that makes that comparison invalid. Only the relative merits of the chips or of injectors are measured.

If we have time we could add another group.

Please comment on this plan.

Chris

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver

count me in to test some mods since my car is still virgin!

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Well, I had quite a day! Just got back from seeing my friend, Ray Razon at Dyno Lab in San Ramon. While I was there, he was doing a dyno run on a Camaro SS, which put out 362 hp to the wheels! It pretty much blew my ears out with the noise... /images/graemlins/eek.gif

Ray is booked every Sat this month, but has every Saturday still available in April. He can do up to 20 cars in a day. Cost will be $60 a car, with three pulls per car. I think this is a fair price. That means a total of 60 pulls, with perhaps more if I can talk Ray into staying a bit later. Ray will also be providing lunch since he has a grill there. We might want to consider bringing some food and drinks as well.

I think we will have plenty of pulls to determine what combo does what. Classen and NewTDI, we need a base car, so that will be good, and we can even use those cars to directly test nozzles and injectors with no other mods, that is if you guys don't mind us using your cars. It does sound like we need a set of PP520 nozzles however...

Peter, the best way to compare injectors is to use the two virgin cars and test the injectors in those cars. The Dynojet can plot hp and torque so we'll be able to directly compare injectors that way.

Kerma, I'm going in next Thurs so Ray can test the hookup of the optical sensor to the TDI. At that time, we're going to run a few dyno runs on my car, so I'll have some baseline numbers before I get the new cam from you. Sounds like my car will be the second auto tranny TDI on a dyno, huh? I think you tested yours with Up and PP520, so mine will be a bit different with the Up and PP502s. Ray also welded up the cracks in my broken downpipe, so all my power is back now.

Soooo, I need everyone to post as to what Sat in April will work best for us. Ray said he can start at around 9am on any given Saturday.

The sooner everyone lets me know what date will work, the sooner I can let Ray know which date to hold for us...

Thanks and don't be shy, let me know which Sat we're doing all this!!!!

Dan

mackwood

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta grey

April 10th is good for me. daylight savings starts on the 4th so if we are there late it will still be light. by the way this is what i have to offer.. maybe we should make a list..\

stock ecu--sprint 520's
Rocket stage 2--sprint 520's

dlai

Top Post Dawg
TDI

I wanted to add that, of course, there's no charge for those who are not doing any dyno runs and are just there to watch...

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon

[ QUOTE ]
I wanted to add that, of course, there's no charge for those who are not doing any dyno runs and are just there to watch...

[/ QUOTE ]

ANY day is OK~~~I'll bring some
for the tail pipes /images/graemlins/eek.gif!!!