EGR P0401 - 001 Insufficient Flow

Vanigh

TDI
JETTA TDI 2010 Navy Blue 6 Speed Manual
Check engine light came on, VCDS diagnostics as follows.

1 Fault Found:
001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 001 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 10100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 93032 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2010.09.13
Time: 15:05:52

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2369 /min
Speed: 93.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.29 V
Load: 76.5 %
Load: 100.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 390.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 440.0 mg/str

Readiness: 1 1 0 0 0

Is it possible that EGR System error coming from DPF?

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is probably 20+ threads on this already. There has been a TSB about this for a while now.

Your EGR filter tube is clogged, because your DPF is cracked and allowed soot to get in and clog the EGR tube. Your tailpipes are also sooty.

At the present time, though, with Dieselgate going on, you may want to sit tight and at least wait another month or so to see what all becomes of this.

The DPF is under the 8yr/80k warranty, if you are still under 80k miles just take it to the dealer (you may want to have that page of your manual handy to "remind" them of your car's warranty coverage). Canada may not be the same, though.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Your EGR filter tube is clogged, because your DPF is cracked and allowed soot to get in and clog the EGR tube. Your tailpipes are also sooty.

Have you ever seen a P0401 error from the high pressure EGR?
(not from a cracked DPF)

oilhammer

TDI
Have you ever seen a P0401 error from the high pressure EGR?
(not from a cracked DPF)

Nope. Literally the ONLY thing on a CBEA or CJAA TDI I have ever seen on one for the P0401 is a clogged EGR filter tube. And I have probably seen that 100 times. We have five customers in the "wait-and-see" mode now with them, plus my own 2010, coworker's 2009, and the 2009 I recently sold (that one got the DPF deleted).

Vanigh

TDI
There is probably 20+ threads on this already. There has been a TSB about this for a while now.

At the present time, though, with Dieselgate going on, you may want to sit tight and at least wait another month or so to see what all becomes of this.

The DPF is under the 8yr/80k warranty, if you are still under 80k miles just take it to the dealer (you may want to have that page of your manual handy to "remind" them of your car's warranty coverage). Canada may not be the same, though.
2 Weeks ago the Dealer replaced or fixed the exhaust flap since i had CEL, the job was done under warranty, now i have intermittant CEL P0401 code. Yes there is soot in the tail pipe, dealer says the DPF is not covered under the extended warranty, i contacted VW Canada by email, I was told that the DPF is covered for 8 years or 130.000KM in Canada, i have 93500 KM on the car, i was also told that i have to take the car to the dealership and let them run the diagnostics and see what they come up with, EGR Valve is not covered under warranty any more. VW does not recognize VCDS output results.
I take the car to Stealership tomorrow.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
Nope. Literally the ONLY thing on a CBEA or CJAA TDI I have ever seen on one for the P0401 is a clogged EGR filter tube. And I have probably seen that 100 times. We have five customers in the "wait-and-see" mode now with them, plus my own 2010, coworker's 2009, and the 2009 I recently sold (that one got the DPF deleted).
Thank You

oilhammer

TDI
2 Weeks ago the Dealer replaced or fixed the exhaust flap since i had CEL, the job was done under warranty, now i have intermittant CEL P0401 code. yes, the low pressure EGR system cannot operate without the exhaust flap. That is what that exhaust flap's primary function is: to force the exhaust back into the low pressure EGR system. So it would be totally plausible that your EGR system test could not be run by the ECU with a bad exhaust flapYes there is soot in the tail pipe, dealer says the DPF is not covered under the extended warranty I am not talking about anye xtended warranty, I am talking about the normal factory warranty. Read your manual, it will be in there. In the USA, it VERY CLEARLY states the catalytic converter AND the diesel particle filter are covered for 8 yrs/80k miles, i contacted VW Canada by email, I was told that the DPF is covered for 8 years or 130.000KM in Canada, i have 93500 KM on the car,correct, so it is still under warranty, case closed i was also told that i have to take the car to the dealership and let them run the diagnostics and see what they come up with, EGR Valve is not covered you do not need an EGR valve, I can pretty much guarantee it. Have the dealer print the TSB, or better yet, find it yourself and print it and carry it in to them. It is a very simple, very clear, very cut and dried issue. They even have pictures if the staff at your dealer cannot read at a 4th grade level. under warranty any more. VW does not recognize VCDS output results. scan tool type is not relevant here. While VCDS does use all the same native communication and test protocols as the factory scan tools (many VW techs even have their own VCDS), the DTC and such is a function of the car's ECU, not the scan tool. A DTC is a DTC, it is stored in the ECU, not the scan tool
I take the car to Stealership tomorrow.
Bold is mine. Be persistent, and be polite. For reasons I cannot fathom, many Volkswagen dealerships' initial reaction to a warranty item is to deny. I guess they figure if the customer will pay for it, they are better off. While I have LONG since lost count of how many times this has happened, and how many times I have sent Volkswagen owners back to a dealer for a warranty item, I do know that they are generally successful. It just takes some prodding.

Just last week I had a car in exactly like yours, was already at a dealer, they told them the same thing is wrong with their car as what I am telling you is wrong with yours... only they had the audacity to tell the owner he'd have to pay for it. After he was picked back up off the floor, he found us, and brought the car here. While I could fix his car cheaper than the dealer could, I informed him that due to his low mileage (72k miles in this case) his car was still under warranty, and he needed to go back to them. He called VoA customer care first, verified what I told him was correct, and then went back to that same dealer and insisted they fix the car. When they balked, he gave them the customer care case number. They immediately repaired the car, and they of course had all the parts in stock because it is so common. :rolleyes:

MÄDDNESSS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta Sport Wagon
I've seen this twice.

The EGR filter wasn't clogged. However, the DPF was cracked, causing too much flow through the EGR filter.

CNGVW

Vendor , w/Business number
Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
The EGR filter is not a real filter. It has a supper fine steel pressed mesh .
It is in the system so when the ex flow pressure after the DPF and the pressure in the EGR cooler is out of balance. It knows the EGR filter has trapped soot in it. this = cracked DPF.
The only way to get soot in to the tail pipe and EGR filter is a cracked DPF !!!
I have build and sold or installed over 40 EGR Filter test kits so far to shut off the P0401. And not A one has come back!!

Vanigh

TDI
I took the car to the dealer today early in the morning to install a new the DPF and the EGR. the DPF wasn't cracked but Clogged...
After contacting VW Canada the DPF became under extended warranty issue with the dealer!!! so they replaced it under the extended warranty, i had to pay for the EGR part which came to Cdn$504 including labor and taxes.
My question is, an accessory/part of the car (DPF) that is under extended warranty damaged EGR which is not under warranty, what the law says, the owner pays for the damaged part/EGR?

theneild

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6mt
They won't fix the dpf for the emissions recall. Mine's been throwing a CEL for years and I finally have to fix it. They won't do the recall with a bad DPF.

CNGVW

Bob Mann Auto, 111 High St, Pembroke MA 02359
TDI
Many TDI Jettas and a Beetle Race car run 2010 jetta tdi cup car build roadrace
You will need it to pass the check engine light off for them to do the fix.
So you still can do my fix then set the readiness clean the tail pipe get the upgrade parts. after a few weeks the light will come on and you can then go back to have them fix it on there dime.

They won't fix the dpf for the emissions recall. Mine's been throwing a CEL for years and I finally have to fix it. They won't do the recall with a bad DPF.

sdeabs

TDI
2006 Jetta MKV TDI - total loss 08/20/2013, 2010 Jetta MKV TDI
While there are many threads about TDI emissions systems and troubles with DPF this thread is particularly interesting to me.

I took my 2010 to dealer for recalls with MIL on. Service rep warned me that they would not be able to complete recalls if I needed a DPF. However, they cleared the codes and completed recalls without needing any further repairs. Did not need to replace the DPF. Shortly after getting it back it started throwing P0401-001 and P2002-007. Occasionally, P0401-002 and P240F-000 too.

Ash volume is 150ml. Soot load has varied between 20 and 1.2. I have run emergency regeneration several times to get soot load down and can clear codes for awhile but they keep coming back.

Car has 150K miles and not under warranty unless recall imparted additional warranty on emissions system. So...I will attempt to check EGR filter in accordance with TSB. Any other ideas??

Kevinski4

TDI
While there are many threads about TDI emissions systems and troubles with DPF this thread is particularly interesting to me.

I took my 2010 to dealer for recalls with MIL on. Service rep warned me that they would not be able to complete recalls if I needed a DPF. However, they cleared the codes and completed recalls without needing any further repairs. Did not need to replace the DPF. Shortly after getting it back it started throwing P0401-001 and P2002-007. Occasionally, P0401-002 and P240F-000 too.

Ash volume is 150ml. Soot load has varied between 20 and 1.2. I have run emergency regeneration several times to get soot load down and can clear codes for awhile but they keep coming back.

Car has 150K miles and not under warranty unless recall imparted additional warranty on emissions system. So...I will attempt to check EGR filter in accordance with TSB. Any other ideas??
Your DPF was cracked before the recall. It's still cracked, so the problem is back. Your post recall warranty will cover the repair. Don't waste your time messing with the EGR filter, it is plugged with soot, hence the P0401 code.

billiebbyy

TDI
‘06 VW Jetta TDI - BRM Engine 212k Miles - 2nd Owner - DIYer
Question; do the MKV BRM engines have a DPF? I also had this code pop up, HOWEVER, the man I bought the car from did a horrible job at removing the EGR, so the EGR and cooler still remain on the engine but where the U shaped pipe was, is blocked off. Instead of going the DPF route, if it is equipped, should I remove the EGR and cooler and get a tune to solve my dilemma orrrrr...? Really need some professional guidance here, lol. I’d appreciate it oilhammer.

oilhammer

TDI
There is no DPF on the BRM. Sounds like the previous owner just blocked the EGR off and didn't change any software.

Arawak420

TDI
JSW 2.0
My turbo stop giving power when code p0410 popped CEL. . All motor home in 5th gear. Going to dealer tommorow

Arawak420

TDI
JSW 2.0
Got call from dealer today they said it needs a new dpf. No mention of the egr.. the egr code is the only code that showed on obdeleven.

borninabus

Veteran Member
TDI
-2013 JSW 6MT- -2006 Jetta DSG-
you should remind them that it also needs the EGR addressed and in fact, that is the reason it is there in the first place.