trying to adjust my idle speed

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 2005, Shadow Blue - DECEASED
I am trying to increase my idle speed from 860ish to 900 in order to get rid of an annoying rattle. I tried following the instructions from Ross Tech's website:

Idle Speed Adaptation (see your Repair Manual):

With engine warmed up, at idle:

[Select]
[01 engine]
[Adaptation - 10]
Enter channel 01
Enter an adaptation value between 124 and 132
[Save]​

When I tried it, I got a security access required in the fields(no rpm, etc.). I started fiddling around (I used the login code that Jeff gave me when I got RC2 but that didn't work in the security button)and turn the car off and turned the ignition so the engine wasn't on but the computer was. I went back in and saw the rpm(0) as well as a couple other fields including the value of the adaptation, 0. I then turned the car on and the RPM went to 861 and the adaptation number stayed at 0. I put in 124 and it accepted it but nothing changed. I closed out and went back in and alluva sudden the value was 134. I changed it to 132 and it accepted but nothing changed.

I closed out of adaptation, turned the car off/on and went back in. Once again I got the security error. I then decided to run an autoscan and it threw the following code:

Address 01: Engine
Part No SW: 038 906 016 R HW: 028 101 198 2
Component: R4 2,0L EDC G000AG 6416
Coding: 0150034
Shop #: WSC 05314

1 Fault Found:
16683 - Boost Pressure Regulation: Control Range Not Reached
P0299 - 000 - -
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 2205 /min
Torque: 256.0 Nm
Speed: 59.0 km/h
Load: 52.9 %
Voltage: 14.21 V
Bin. Bits: 00101000
Absolute Pres.: 2468.4 mbar
Absolute Pres.: 1968.6 mbar

Readiness: 0 0 0 0 0

Question 1 - How do I set my idle speed without that security code?
Question 2 - Does the code thrown(I don't have a CEL) have something to do with my idle rattle?

Uwe

Vendor , w/Business number
Try this:
Select -> 01-Engine -> Security Access-16 -> 12233 -> Do It!.

If it's accepted, proceed with your adaptation.

If it's not, then your 2.0L EDC-16 isn't like the 1.9's we've seen.

-Uwe-

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
The security code worked - YAY!
The idle adaptation did nothing - BOO!

I am gonna take this discussion to the B5 forum now. Thanks for your help.

GetMore

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat TDI, 2010 Jetta Sportwagen
You may have to restart the program. I forget exactly how the whole thing goes, but if I try making changes but used the wrong code the program had problems. Just trying to reconnect didn't work. I may even have had to restart the computer. I forget exactly.
It just goes to show that if you don't know what you are doing you make more work for yourself. Unfortunately I don't remember exactly how it goes, so I never learn.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Uwe said:
Try this:
Select -> 01-Engine -> Security Access-16 -> 12233 -> Do It!.

If it's accepted, proceed with your adaptation.

If it's not, then your 2.0L EDC-16 isn't like the 1.9's we've seen.

-Uwe-
Hi Uwe,

I'll admit up front I'm too chicken to play with the other code and nuke my edc or engine.

I have played around a bit and there are other security codes for the PD's ecms. EDC16 will accept the 12233 code, but nothing seems to "unlock" and make changes. The other codes will let you change other settings but since I don't know what it means I left it alone. I found the codes in a german site that had a lot of the control modules and their functions broken down. MVB for darn near everything and the like.

I'll post an address if I stumble across the site again.

Dodoma

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta White
Incrasing idle speed

I wonder if the idle speed will increase if you just moved the pump sproklett clock or anti-clock wise. This is how it was done on 1.6 rabbits in additon to increasing the screw length on the pump where the throttle end rested.

sleze

Veteran Member
TDI
As I found out in the B5 forum. This, and may other features, doesn't work on our Passats. I guess I am gonna have to pony up and pay Jeff to do it.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
Dodoma said:
I wonder if the idle speed will increase if you just moved the pump sproklett clock or anti-clock wise. This is how it was done on 1.6 rabbits in additon to increasing the screw length on the pump where the throttle end rested.
He has a Passat with the PD engine. There is no pump sprocket to move. The computer activates a solinoid on each injector for control.

spooner miller

TDI
06 Jetta BRM
I am having the same problem, my car makes this horrible rattling noise almost like the flywheel is scraping the bell housing or something, but if i just very slightly push on the throttle is does away or if the condenser kicks on.. I want to sell the car but that noise is going to scare away any potential buyer. Anyone have any ideas what the noise is or how to fix it??

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
spooner miller said:
I am having the same problem, my car makes this horrible rattling noise almost like the flywheel is scraping the bell housing or something, but if i just very slightly push on the throttle is does away or if the condenser kicks on.. I want to sell the car but that noise is going to scare away any potential buyer. Anyone have any ideas what the noise is or how to fix it??
It's been a while since I've read this thread and I have learned some since then.

That sounds like the chain for your oil pump and balance shafts is worn out.

Jason