2006 TDI Project

Wolfdie

TDI
2001 Jetta 1.8t Wolfsburg, 2002 Golf 2.0 GLS, 2006 Jetta TDI DSR, 2016 Jetta 1.8t TSI Sport
Hey guys this is my first post first off hello! Now then.. Recently I bought a 2006 Jetta TDI 290k ($500) with a locked motor drained 13 quarts of oil out of it so yea :confused: and just bought another 2006 TDI with 278k ($300) front end is totaled tested it and it ran and what I could tell there was no damage to the engine. My project will be swapping the motor, head gasket, and timing kit before putting it in. Bought my self a Bentley service manual and going to get other tools for the job. I would also like to get a stage 1 tuner but no idea where to start
Here are the cars

Wolfdie

TDI
2001 Jetta 1.8t Wolfsburg, 2002 Golf 2.0 GLS, 2006 Jetta TDI DSR, 2016 Jetta 1.8t TSI Sport
Yea it was nice lol the rear and inside aren't too bad. There could have been diesel in the oil though I couldn't smell any. But the people that owned it before me I wouldn't put it past them to dump that much oil in it. Plus side the donor car has the 5 speed manual in it that I will keep for a conversion later on and the rims are 17" in decent shape and the tires are pretty much new :D

berks_tom

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Depending on your location in PA, you may want to consider Rocketchip. He is located near York, PA. My 06 felt like it had a new motor after getting a RC-1+ tune. My son is enjoying that car now.

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf VI TDI, 77 kW (CAYC)
Don't swap the head gasket unless there is a reason!
Why do you want to take off the cylinder head? This is not additional labour and cost (requires new gasket, bolts, etc) but will also require the head to be milled.

Swapping a complete engine isn't something very difficult. Depending on parts you replace "while you're there" (e.g. turbo, clutch, etc), it might take 3-5 days and some beer

Wolfdie

TDI
Depending on your location in PA, you may want to consider Rocketchip. He is located near York, PA. My 06 felt like it had a new motor after getting a RC-1+ tune. My son is enjoying that car now.
Thanks! I might look into them depending on cost
Don't swap the head gasket unless there is a reason!
Why do you want to take off the cylinder head? This is not additional labour and cost (requires new gasket, bolts, etc) but will also require the head to be milled.
Swapping a complete engine isn't something very difficult. Depending on parts you replace "while you're there" (e.g. turbo, clutch, etc), it might take 3-5 days and some beer
I'm still up in the air about a new head gasket. Only reason I was thinking of doing it was preventative maintenance and it would be a lot easier with the engine being on a engine stand vs in the car and lucky for me there is a guy about 15 min that has done milling and valve jobs for years at $60-$70

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yeah, you will need a valve job in that case.. It's worth to replace the valve guides and valve seals too if you tear that deep. Also, you will probably need a new camshaft, lifters and shells. $$$$$

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Thanks! I might look into them depending on cost
I'm still up in the air about a new head gasket. Only reason I was thinking of doing it was preventative maintenance and it would be a lot easier with the engine being on a engine stand vs in the car and lucky for me there is a guy about 15 min that has done milling and valve jobs for years at $60-$70
What exactly would you be preventing? Put that money for stuff the car actually needs. and really, working on the head later when it might actually need it isn't all that tough with the engine in the car. It does look intimidating at first but really it isn't.

Do inspect the cam on both cars and use the cam and lifter set from the car that has the best cam. With the miles, though, both cams might not be worth re-using. The cams on a BRM are kinda fragile compared to the ALH cams.

If I was going to do a tranny conversion, I would be inclined to swap to the 5 speed while the engines are removed.

Does the white car have frame damage? If not, swapping the front end parts, bumpers, doors and trunk lid over from the silver car might be an option. That would probably be less work than an engine swap and transmission conversion.

It might even look kinda cool with the white on the roof and rear quarters and if not you could repaint the white to match the silver.

Awesome project but will be a lot of work ............

Last edited:

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do inspect the cam on both cars and use the cam and lifter set from the car that has the best cam. With the miles, though, both cams might not be worth re-using. The cams on a BRM are kinda fragile compared to the ALH cams.
^-- very valid point. In any case, if you pull the cam, replace all the shells with brand new ones as they are worn anyway.
Also, if you need to swap the cams, swap the lifters too and do not exchange them between positions. Cam + lifters should never be exchanged in this setup.

Wolfdie

TDI
What exactly would you be preventing? Put that money for stuff the car actually needs. and really, working on the head later when it might actually need it isn't all that tough with the engine in the car. It does look intimidating at first but really it isn't.
If I was going to do a tranny conversion, I would be inclined to swap to the 5 speed while the engines are removed.
Does the white car have frame damage? If not, swapping the front end parts, bumpers, doors and trunk lid over from the silver car might be an option. That would probably be less work than an engine swap and transmission conversion.
It might even look kinda cool with the white on the roof and rear quarters and if not you could repaint the white to match the silver.
Awesome project but will be a lot of work ............
I defiantly see you're point. Especially after looking at the price of head gasket kits I think I will just leave that for if/when the time comes. Timing/water pump will be a must though. If the cam does need replaced I was considering this kit https://www.ebay.com/itm/VW-TDI-OEM...06-/290561463218?_trksid=p2385738.m2548.l4275
Looking at the front end better since I have it home now I would love to just do a front end swap but things dont look to good

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Upper and lower rail affected, unless you have a friend in the industry, I wouldnt invest the time and money into repairing the white one. You can pick up another w/o that level of damage for a grand or less at the auction.

As others have mentioned, why change the head gasket? If it runs, drive it. Apply that effort towards common wear parts like the cam - timing belt/ water pump, dmf. I would just rip out the motor and trans from the white one, along with the axles and other bits to do the conversation. Plenty of threads on doing the swap, on the forum. When you pull the motor/ trans together from the donor, I would do the clutch, Tbelt, pump and check the cam and turbo. AMC cam kits (cam lifters (shells) seal bearings are around $400.00. It is a decent kit and I have personally used 2 of them w/o issues so far. Plenty of threads on how to do it here on the forum. If you are mechanically inclined, the swap is not bad. Pulling motor / trans is easy. Pull the front core support and it comes straight out the front. Check the wiring harness in the silver car, issues on chaffing. If you are lucky, cam is good. Its a doable project. Just hold off on the tune, its more important to get it stable and the common wear crap done first.

290K is not a ton of miles on these motors, but u do want to check out that cam and turbo whilst you have that motor out.

Last edited:

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Forgot to mention, easiest path is just keeping the DSG based drive train for now, strip out the 5spd and parts to convert at a later point. BUT, I would assume that the DMF needs to be replaced. Reason being, unless you have a receipt that it was done, do it now when you have it apart. The labor savings will save you in the long run.

Wolfdie

TDI
Forgot to mention, easiest path is just keeping the DSG based drive train for now, strip out the 5spd and parts to convert at a later point. BUT, I would assume that the DMF needs to be replaced. Reason being, unless you have a receipt that it was done, do it now when you have it apart. The labor savings will save you in the long run.
I couldn't agree more. I plan to convert to manual at a later time since Ill will be using the car here and there for work (which is a lot of stopping and going) not the best for a manual imo. I do have a question I discovered the window sticker in the glove box of the white tdi and noticed under Performance/Handling Electronic "Differential Lock" (EDL) is that a standard feature that my silver TDI should have as well or is it a option?

Also could you enlighten me on EDL? I know what diff lock is but I'm not sure if I understand the EDL system

Last edited:

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
As an aside, My SMF 5 speed is great in traffic, but I have been driving manuals for years. Selling the DSG would save on doing maintenance to it and would knock a major chunk out of out of pocket expenses. Some Important things to know about the A5 Manual.

Ditch the atrocious DMF clutch. Look for a SMF called a quiet clutch. The DMF in my car was just miserable to drive. The SMF clutch I have now is at about 130K miles and is still a just a joy to drive by comparison.

Remember that a clutch likes to be either engaged or disengaged and if you linger between those positions, the clutch will not last very long. A guy posted here that he bought a brand new car and by the time he got it home (20 miles?) he had burned it up. So, slip a clutch as little as possible.

If you are not comfortable with driving a clutch have someone that knows how to drive a clutch give you some pointers. Some people that drive a clutch do have some really bad habits so make sure that whoever instructs you actually understands how to drive a manual correctly. With the right coach, you could be driving a manual like a "pro" in a short time.

Aaron has been around awhile here and is pretty straight up to work with. I bought probably the first DC SMF clutch sold in NA when he was in Utah and went by BoraParts.

Yea, after seeing the pics, I would scrap the idea of using the white car. The gray car certainly is clean, isn't it?

EDL = Electronic Differential Lock. The differential isn't actually locked. The brakes on the side that is slipping are electronically applied to reduce slip. If the car has an ESP button, it has EDL. My best guess is that they all had it.

Last edited:

Wolfdie

TDI
As an aside, My SMF 5 speed is great in traffic, but I have been driving manuals for years. Selling the DSG would save on doing maintenance to it and would knock a major chunk out of out of pocket expenses. Some Important things to know about the A5 Manual.

Ditch the atrocious DMF clutch. Look for a SMF called a quiet clutch. The DMF in my car was just miserable to drive. The SMF clutch I have now is at about 130K miles and is still a just a joy to drive by comparison.

Remember that a clutch likes to be either engaged or disengaged and if you linger between those positions, the clutch will not last very long. A guy posted here that he bought a brand new car and by the time he got it home (20 miles?) he had burned it up. So, slip a clutch as little as possible.

If you are not comfortable with driving a clutch have someone that knows how to drive a clutch give you some pointers. Some people that drive a clutch do have some really bad habits so make sure that whoever instructs you actually understands how to drive a manual correctly. With the right coach, you could be driving a manual like a "pro" in a short time.

Aaron has been around awhile here and is pretty straight up to work with. I bought probably the first DC SMF clutch sold in NA when he was in Utah and went by BoraParts.

Yea, after seeing the pics, I would scrap the idea of using the white car. The gray car certainly is clean, isn't it?

EDL = Electronic Differential Lock. The differential isn't actually locked. The brakes on the side that is slipping are electronically applied to reduce slip. If the car has an ESP button, it has EDL. My best guess is that they all had it.
I stop and go "a lot" in and out of mail boxes for roughly 100 mi a day lol. I've driven manual for about 12 years so I'm good there :) . But my job causes you to ride the clutch way too much and I've killed 2 clutches and 1 throw out bearing from it and that's when I learned to stick with auto for my job haha. Ah so that's what the EDL is hopefully it works decent in snow

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Back in the 60's, my dad used his manual tranny car for mail delivery and IIRC, he never really had clutch wear issues. He never rode the clutch. It was either engaged or not engaged with very little slip on engagement. Cars had bench seats back then so he put the sorted mail on the drivers side and drove from the right side. Sure looked bazaar............

Probably not the same driving situation as yours. My wife's 6 speed auto Camry is a blast to drive. She really gets P.O.ed when I come home from driving somewhere and I mention how much fun her car is to thrash. :D

Last edited:

Wolfdie

TDI
Back in the 60's, my dad used his manual tranny car for mail delivery and IIRC, he never really had clutch wear issues. He never rode the clutch. It was either engaged or not engaged with very little slip on engagement. Cars had bench seats back then so he put the sorted mail on the drivers side and drove from the right side. Sure looked bazaar............
Probably not the same driving situation as yours. My wife's 6 speed auto Camry is a blast to drive. She really gets P.O.ed when I come home from driving somewhere and I mention how much fun her car is to thrash. :D
Nice! I do the same to my wife's 2015 kia optima hybrid. She gets 40-50 mpg. When I bring it back it has .... 20ish :rolleyes:
Well got the crap pulled of the front. Discovered the turbo actuator is busted so either replace that or some how use it as an excuse to get a upgrade turbo :D
Gonna call it a day. Dam fever is kicking my ass though I want to continue....

Wolfdie

TDI
Finally got back to work after getting sick and busy with other stuff. Yesterday I pulled the good engine. Today I mounted it to my engine stand, started pulling broken parts and inspecting it to the best that I can. To what I can tell by just looking at it the timing belt, water pump, tensioner and cam look like they have recently been replaced. Here are some pictures sorry for the crappy lighting and quality

Last edited:

1sloVR4

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Any chance you'll be parting out the car? I so need an Inner timing belt cover which was taken out from a broken block :D

Speaking of broken blocks...I would highly recommend replacing the upper engine mount bracket with the newer version 03G199207G. These blocks can't take the stress from repetitive removing and torquing the bolts of the engine mount bracket. As you can see, it bolts onto a little nub on the engine block and alternator/AC bracket. It's just simply poor engineering.

If that ever happens while driving at considerable speeds, expect catastrophic damage. I considered myself lucky and it only took out the upper and inner timing belt covers.

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Do not use the timing belt. You have zero history on it and the risk reward is not high enough. It's cake to slam one on with the motor out. Pop in new water pump as well. I always throw in a thermostat. I would also recommend the one coolant housing on the drivers side of the head. Its 30.00 or less. It's up to you, I try and replace the common failure parts while I go thru it. The cam, you need to verify it has the chamfer edge on the lobes.

If you drive that DSG for a while, I would recommend at a very minimum, checking the DMF for play. Personally, while its out, you can throw one in for $325.00. It is really easy to do it now ;-)

You should be able to part out and pull in some dollars to cover these items. I will drop you a PM, I am looking for a cluster, ecm and a steering wheel.

Last edited:

kbaisley

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI 5spd
Any chance you'll be parting out the car? I so need an Inner timing belt cover which was taken out from a broken block :D

Speaking of broken blocks...I would highly recommend replacing the upper engine mount bracket with the newer version 03G199207G. These blocks can't take the stress from repetitive removing and torquing the bolts of the engine mount bracket. As you can see, it bolts onto a little nub on the engine block and alternator/AC bracket. It's just simply poor engineering.

If that ever happens while driving at considerable speeds, expect catastrophic damage. I considered myself lucky and it only took out the upper and inner timing belt covers.
I know the feeling.. my current car dropped the engine down when the mount broke. Took out the inner and outer timing cover, cracked tab on block, the mount and a hose. The Van Gough bracket solved the problem. (Put in a new belt, water pump, etc while I was repairing - bought it broke after ins co totaled it out for the prior owner)

Last edited:

Wolfdie

TDI
Finally got time to get the motor in everything is hooked up and back in place. I tired to test start it and it wouldn't crank not even a clicking noise. I've checked and everything is connected properly as far as I can tell. The only thing is I did not put coolant into it yet could there be some sort of safety that wont let it start with no coolant? Just wondering cause this has me stumped...

Henrick

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No.
Does the engine turn over by hand?
Are you sure the starter is installed correctly and wired up?

Wolfdie

TDI
I jumped the starter it turned the engine no problem. I cleaned the connection that goes to the starter. I tested to see if it was the neutral safety switch and still no luck. Also been looking for the starter relay and can't seem to find it

Last edited: