MFA/FIS/Sport Cluster POSSIBLE on 99.5!!!

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
I hope unpimpZauto could repost schematics.
I've been pretty busy lately. I should be able to get some schematics up soon. however, they will not be as step by step as they were before. I've found that each cluster is a little bit different, so they need to be tweaked in slightly different ways.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
You sure that's the full part number? What year Passat is it out of?

I could be talked into sharing the ROM from my cluster ;)

-Jason

Steve99

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Golf TDI, 04 R32
I would guess the full part # is 3B0 920 920BX
Looks like it was used in 98 through 2001 Passats.

Its old enough to use a light bulb!

We may be able to find the tacho map with enough experimentation, it can't be far off other early non-immo clusters. A good start would be the eeprom from a 99.5 TDI cluster.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
I've been pretty busy lately. I should be able to get some schematics up soon. however, they will not be as step by step as they were before. I've found that each cluster is a little bit different, so they need to be tweaked in slightly different ways.
That's fine. Take your time. Thanks :)

You sure that's the full part number? What year Passat is it out of?

I could be talked into sharing the ROM from my cluster ;)

-Jason
2000 Passat 1.8T. It had a 2000 manufacture date but it does NOT have immo but its CAN enabled. Kinda weird.

I would guess the full part # is 3B0 920 920BX
Looks like it was used in 98 through 2001 Passats.

Its old enough to use a light bulb!

We may be able to find the tacho map with enough experimentation, it can't be far off other early non-immo clusters. A good start would be the eeprom from a 99.5 TDI cluster.
My 99.5 EEPROM is much different from the EEPROM on my Passat cluster. The size difference stopped me from cross flashing them :D

I tried flashing various MFA G/J software and no dice. All caused the cluster to not function.

Part number is 3B0 920 920B no X. X stands for re-manufactured?

I will share EEPROMs today. I have somewhat of a EEPROM collection ;)
Thanks guys.

Last edited:

s1iver

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 GTI GLX VR6
I'm going to be dumping the cluster eeprom of the Golf City cluster i've got with IMMO3 and a half screen MFA.

I sometimes get access to full screen FIS passat clusters (come across 2 already) i wonder how hard it is to flash the MKIV code to those clusters... hmm.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
I'm going to be dumping the cluster eeprom of the Golf City cluster i've got with IMMO3 and a half screen MFA.

I sometimes get access to full screen FIS passat clusters (come across 2 already) i wonder how hard it is to flash the MKIV code to those clusters... hmm.
Very easy. GTI-TDI.de is full of threads with dumps for those clusters.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Here is two Diesel G/J cluster dumps.
All MPH/USA (linear scale). Dumped by me. One 919 and the other 920.
Obviously the 919 came off my car and the other 920 cluster is up for sale ;)
Also I attached the files I tried flashing on my Passat cluster. I will get a dump of the Passat cluster whenever I get time to go on my netbook.

http://www.mediafire.com/?23w5f08z422y9mg

Reference pic of Passat cluster:

No immo but it does have CAN. Thanks

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Here is two Diesel G/J cluster dumps.
All MPH/USA (linear scale). Dumped by me. One 919 and the other 920.
Obviously the 919 came off my car and the other 920 cluster is up for sale ;)
Also I attached the files I tried flashing on my Passat cluster. I will get a dump of the Passat cluster whenever I get time to go on my netbook.

http://www.mediafire.com/?23w5f08z422y9mg

Reference pic of Passat cluster:

No immo but it does have CAN. Thanks
Passat cluster won't take any of jetta/golf eeproms.
I test gas MFA cluster on my car and MFA is working very good.CAN wires are in harness between cluster and ECU.
I have few ideas how to make everything perfect and will let you know when is all done.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Any updates? I see this project kinda died.

Last night, I plugged in a 1JO 920 925 cluster in my 99.5, and holly crap, it actually worked decently. The only thing I could find wrong was the check engine light, and the air bag light. Everything else worked fine. Glow plug light worked too.

The big question is that would the cluster be able to read the fuel consumption data from pin 32, or will be only looking at the can? It seems that can clusters can be used either way on most things. The ASR light is a perfect example. It goes over can-bus on can cars, but it works fine on my 99.5 when a physical wire runs it.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Any updates? I see this project kinda died.

Last night, I plugged in a 1JO 920 925 cluster in my 99.5, and holly crap, it actually worked decently. The only thing I could find wrong was the check engine light, and the air bag light. Everything else worked fine. Glow plug light worked too.

The big question is that would the cluster be able to read the fuel consumption data from pin 32, or will be only looking at the can? It seems that can clusters can be used either way on most things. The ASR light is a perfect example. It goes over can-bus on can cars, but it works fine on my 99.5 when a physical wire runs it.
You have to wire the fuel consumption up to the cluster for it to work. Im actually swapping ECU's on my 99.5 once I do an immo delete on it and Ill be able to run an MFA cluster with no issues. I kinda gave up since I don't have enough time to mess with it. Im flashing ECU's now and that has take priority. ;)

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
So you are using a 2000+ ECU? I don't see how that is possible in a 99.5 unless you swap out the entire harness.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
So you are using a 2000+ ECU? I don't see how that is possible in a 99.5 unless you swap out the entire harness.
No you just need the ECU and the plug. There is a wire schematic on here to do that. And you need a new cluster and remove the immo from ECU.

DJGonzo

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta 2.0 BHW
Why? Lol its just like 60 wires. No big deal. I might open a thread with pictures when I do it.
You still need to do an immo defeat since your keys don't have a code and you don't have an antenna on your ignition key cylinder.

If you can source an ECU and harness, I can do an Immo defeat for ya and it shouldn't be too hard to get it running.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
I have done in my 99.5 MFA cluster with original ECU and wiring in it. Everything work the way it supposed to be, even Immo light goes off.I am out of town and coming back next week. I will make the video and post it here when i come back.

You have to wire the fuel consumption up to the cluster for it to work.
Nope, wires are there.Mine working very good.It reports MPG as the way supposed to be.

Why? Lol its just like 60 wires. No big deal. I might open a thread with pictures when I do it.
You still need to do an immo defeat since your keys don't have a code and you don't have an antenna on your ignition key cylinder.

If you can source an ECU and harness, I can do an Immo defeat for ya and it shouldn't be too hard to get it running.
You will have immo light flashing all time on cluster even if you defeat ECU.

Last edited:

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
What cluster did you use for that? immo2s seems to work much better in a 99.5 than immo3. Immo3 looked like a christmas tree. So many things weren't working right. Immo2 seems to work fine with the exception of a couple lights.

Mine will beep every time you turn the key on and say immo activated. Maybe the easiest way to get around it is to install a pickup coil in the back and put a RFID chip in it.

Unless you can defeat the immo with some fancy hex editing.

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
while the glow plug light LOOKS like it works, it isn't fully working. in immo2/3 clusters, the GP is controlled by the cluster, with the cluster doing the calculations for how long the light should be on. in 99.5, this is done by the ECU. while they will be on the same amount of time, using an immo2/3 cluster in a 99.5 will not allow the ECU to control the light for faults, and will, in fact, throw a code for "no GP light present."

similar things need to be done to the SRS and CEL lights as well.

if the cluster sees no coil at all, it simply throws a code in the 'Instruments' section, and turns the immo light on. if there is an improper key / no key (with a coil present) THEN it will flash and beep. simply removing the LED lets the cluster be used in a 99.5 with no noticeable issues.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
if the cluster sees no coil at all, it simply throws a code in the 'Instruments' section, and turns the immo light on.
Well, mine did not do that. Even when I hook it up on the bench, the immo light will flash and the MFA diplays "immo activated" and a loud beep sounds off. Super annoying.

Interesting on the glow plug light. I thought because it went on and off, it was working properly. I'll have to try it with the CTS unplugged to see what happens.

unpimpZauto

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon, Black
Well, mine did not do that. Even when I hook it up on the bench, the immo light will flash and the MFA diplays "immo activated" and a loud beep sounds off. Super annoying.
my bad, let me rephrase that...

on a NONE-MFA Bora Sport Cluster, the immo LED can simply be pulled off the board.

the software on the MFA and FIS versions require the coil to be there

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
I see.

Like I said, I think the easiest way to get around it is to stick a RFID chip with a immo coil behind the cluster and adapt it to that chip.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
What cluster did you use for that? immo2s seems to work much better in a 99.5 than immo3. Immo3 looked like a christmas tree. So many things weren't working right. Immo2 seems to work fine with the exception of a couple lights.

Mine will beep every time you turn the key on and say immo activated. Maybe the easiest way to get around it is to install a pickup coil in the back and put a RFID chip in it.

Unless you can defeat the immo with some fancy hex editing.
It is Immo 3 cluster.You can not defeat the immo in cluster, it in not possible.I had to install coil reader in my ignition tumbler to fix this. 99.5 has coil reader but there is no pins in it. Like I said I will post everything next week.

Last edited:

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
while the glow plug light LOOKS like it works, it isn't fully working. in immo2/3 clusters, the GP is controlled by the cluster, with the cluster doing the calculations for how long the light should be on. in 99.5, this is done by the ECU. while they will be on the same amount of time, using an immo2/3 cluster in a 99.5 will not allow the ECU to control the light for faults, and will, in fact, throw a code for "no GP light present."

similar things need to be done to the SRS and CEL lights as well.

if the cluster sees no coil at all, it simply throws a code in the 'Instruments' section, and turns the immo light on. if there is an improper key / no key (with a coil present) THEN it will flash and beep. simply removing the LED lets the cluster be used in a 99.5 with no noticeable issues.

Hi everyone, I just found this thread.

I did this swap a few years ago with a 2001 IMMO2 MFA cluster. The ECM is always responsible for computing preglow time, and the stock -EB module does send the correct messages to the warning lights. All that was necessary was to put a couple of small resistors - I think I used 330 Ohm - between the GP and emission MIL pins and terminal 15, so the controller would not set "lamp inoperative" codes. The same should go for the ABS lights, but I do not have the original module, so one from MY1999 may need the same resistor treatment to prevent the lamp out codes from being set. The only thing that doesn't work out of the box is the SRS. It is not attached to the powertrain data bus like the other two/three modules (ECM, ABS, and TCM (optional)). To make the SRS lamp work, you will most likely have to adapt the cluster hardware to make it work. One lazy/temporary option is to use the brake pad warning lamp, since it works the same way.

That should save you some time otherwise spent modifying more hardware than necessary.

For the IMMO, I just did the same thing jetta, 97 did - use a working transponder key with a reading coil. Otherwise, the IMMO screams at you each time you start the car. To maintain the single-key setup, I just mounted the transponder and coil to the back of the instrument panel. You have to obviously do the key matching, using the panel's SKC.