what is the grinding noise on my 96 passat?

autumn

TDI
Passat, 1996, blue
My 96 passat is making a grinding/humming noise in the front end that gets louder when I go faster and does not stop when I shift gears. I've been reading through some of this forum and some posts have indicated it might be a CV joint, but a mechanic told me transmission. If it is a CV joint, does anyone have an idea of how much it costs to fix it? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

redmondjp

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 Passat Sedan
Could be a bad front wheel bearing too, as these are a known failure item on VWs. It's really hard to diagnose problems like this over the internet. You should find a forum member in your area and have them look at it sooner rather than later!

MTjake

Veteran Member
TDI
Bearings or CV joint likely. Look to see if the CV joint boot is in good or bad condition, especially the right one.

My kneejerk thought is that you should stay well away from the mechanic that suggested it was the transmission.

How many miles on your B4?

John Beyer

Veteran Member
TDI
1998 White TDI/GT Jetta, 2003 Silver Jetta
If it gets louder when you load one side of the car by just turning the wheel a bit, like changing lanes, then it's probably a wheel bearing. A CV joint makes more of a clatter than a groan/hum and happens on a sharper turn.

Greenhorn

TDI
Jetta, 1997, White
I'm with saabguru. Just bought a 97 Jetta tdi w 125k miles--had same symptoms. If it's a bearing Autohausaz.com is the way to go! 2 front bearing kits and hubs cost $75 total w/ free shipping. I priced these out at the dealer at $90 per bearing and--get this--$160 per hub! I was not set up to do it myself, so another $200 at a trusted local VW shop had me back on the road. (my hearing returned shortly thereafter). hope this helps:)