2005 B% chirping

Diesel lifer

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat SW
My Passat has developed a chirp from the front of the engine, particularly at idle when I turn the steering wheel. It largely goes away above idle speeds.
Research here says the alternator and cooling fan may be to blame here.
The serpentine belt has about 45k on it. Same for the timing belt.
In the event I need to replace the fan and its clutch, do I need to put the front of the car in the maintenance position?
How do I diagnose a bad 1) alternator, 2) fan/clutch, 3) power steering pump?
If the problem is the alternator or the fan, should I replace the power steering pump at the same time?
I haven't replaced the power steering fluid recently.
Thanks
Jeff

Diesel lifer

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat SW
Thanks loads for the tips. I have found the pulley at my mail order dealer for about $132, and at Parts Geek for $32 (INA model). Is there any reason to shun the INA model?

Diesel lifer

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat SW
Late reply but thanks for the tips on replacing the alternator pulley. I used a strap wrench and the fan came right off. The pulley was a little obstinate, but it came off and the new one was installed and torqued. I read in a few discussions that the pulley is left hand thread but in this case it is not. The alternator is returned and the fan attached, and all is well.

bbob203

Veteran Member
TDI
b5.5v
It’s probably the Overun alternator pulley. I just replaced mine due to this. Of course it was the last thing I replaced after doing the rest of the drivebelt system.

Scubanero

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon
The correct fix is always the last thing that gets done. It’s like looking for something lost. It’s always in the last place you look.